Pepperwood Farm Exterior - Advice/Opinions Please!

Okay... it's time.

This poor Pepperwood Farm has been languishing in my kitchen for 2 years now. TWO YEARS! So, it's time. Time to get to work!

PepperwoodMeet001.jpg

But.... I'm already in trouble. I can't decide what I want to do with the exterior (I tend to work exterior first then finish the interior).  My trouble is this: every single Pepperwood Farm I've ever seen finished (and there haven't been many) have all been siding.

I hate siding.

So, I'm leaning towards a stone farmhouse for my Pepperwood Farm. Kind of like this -

9a01ad8800f82cde_2843-w500-h400-b0-p0--f

But, I am realizing I don't know much about farmhouse exteriors that aren't stone or siding. So.... any advice you guys? Any thoughts on what would be a good exterior for a Pepperwood Farm?

Links to pictures, or posted pictures would be much appreciated! And if you've finished a Pepperwood Farm I would love to see them!

HELP! Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance, all y'all!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Beulah said:

I think if you do it in stone it would look wonderful.  I did my first stonework with egg cartons, it was easier than I thought it would be 

Thanks, Beulah!  I'm really attracted to the idea of doing it in stone! :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KathieB said:

There's also board and batten for a different look.

Image result for board and batten house pictures

But I think egg carton stone would be awesome. :) 

Oooh, @KathieB, I do like that look too. I have it in my head to do two things with it. 3rd floor board and batten and 1st and 2nd floor stone. I've never done egg carton stone before, and I'm not sure this is the project to learn on. I'm addicted to PaperClay and even though this is going to take a LOT of it, I think it might just be worth it. :)

Thank you for sharing your opinion! I'm getting all excited to get this poor neglected house GOING! :)

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, rbytsdy said:

For a wonderful paperclay stone treatment, check out Bogie's Glencroft; this and kellyannmo's stone Rosedale were the inspirations for my 1/2-scale stone Rosedale in paperclay. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

WOW! @rbytsdy your Rosedale is gorgeous! And that Glencroft and the 1:12 Stone Rosedale are fabulous inspiration! Thank you so much!

I love paperclay, though, now that I think about it, I've only done kind of squarish stones before. Rounded stones will be new for me, and might be FUN!

Thank you for the inspiration! You rock!

54 minutes ago, KathieB said:

The combination of board and batten and stone would be a knockout. 

Hey @KathieB! I think you might be right. That's where I'm leaning. So... we'll see what happens. I think I need to go paperclay shopping! :)

My Washington 2.0 farmhouse is stucco with a shingled third floor:

farmhouse front yard.JPG

My Magnolia is a Florida Cracker house, so has board & batten downstairs and shingles upstairs, with seashell tabby foundation:

KathieB's photos:  Mafggie's front

• Like 1

I was actually thinking about doing my Pepperwood in egg carton stone!  :)  We have lots of stone farmhouses here in Lancaster County, PA and I love them!  My other thought was to do one in red brick like the house I grew up in....at any rate, my thinking of doing egg carton was because I think it would be lighter weight than paperclay.  Pepperwood is already VERY heavy and I didn't want to add more weight to it!

• Like 1

I like the stone in the photo you attached - I think it looks great and will look great in miniature. Can't wait to see it! I now wish I still had my Pepperwood Farm. I bought the plans and might try making it in 1:24.

• Like 1

WOW! You guys are the best! Thank you for all your helpful posts, and pictures! Now I am super excited to get started! :)

@havanaholly So cute!

@Samusa, stone and then board and batten is pretty much where I'm leaning. Now... to see if I can make it look as good as it does in my head. That's the trick, isn't it?

@Summersethomes, that is an adorable beach house! Thank you for showing me!

@jbnmini, yeah, the weight of the paperclay is definitely a consideration. It's already a monster house, and these guys made it out of 1/2" plywood, like the plans call for. I took my Pepperwood Farm off the casters it was on (because they were pretty much useless) and now it's on a really solid table. So as long as I never move I should be okay. I  actually saw some really cool stone tiles at Home Depot that might work too, but they would be REALLY heavy. But you can't get more realistic looking stone than by using stones, eh? I dunno what I'm going to do yet. But I can't wait to see yours! Brick would be AMAZING!

Hey @Elsbeth! A half scale Pepperwood Farm would be adorable! Like a little baby monster! :) I hope you try it!

Okay... so the consensus seems to be stone on the 1st and 2nd floors and board & batten on the attic/eaves. And now.... I may need to look into ordering a case of Paper Clay! :)

Thank you all for stopping by and giving your opinions! I really appreciate the feeback! And I'll keep you posted!

• Like 1

OK Wendy- I blame you for this!  LOL  I got to looking thru your Pepperwood gallery yesterday....and then last nite when I should have been working on my brick Colonial rehab - I got distracted and started ripping off the siding on MY Pepperwood!!  :giggle:  :construction: