Glencroft

FrannyAz

This is my third Greenleaf dollhouse I'm building. The first one was the  Beacon Hill! Then I built the Magnolia. Both although were challenging, I got through them.Now I'm onto the Glencroft. O.M.G. The details on the right side, stairs etc. are grueling. Nothing wants to line up! Add to that the warped pieces (which is standard with Greenleaf kits)  and I'm stuck. To get the chimney together it took, glue, clamps , duct tape and weights. It's  crooked . Now the left side wall is so off I'm going to have to saw and patch the hell out of it. I'll probably have to run a deco piece from top to bottom to hide the gaping  gaps and unevenness that's there. This house is no longer fun.  Feedback?

It must be your kit.  I'm building the glencroft and have had no issues.  I was a bit concerned about the chimney wall, but it's fitting great.  I was anxious about the timber trims, but they are not individual pieces so they fit great.  None of my sheets are warped.  Some of my progress is on pinterest 

I've built several Greenleaf houses without encountering a single warped board. It's possible the kit was stored on end rather than flat, as recommended. Over time, that may cause boards to warp.

Have you double checked to be sure some of the pieces were not installed backwards? I've managed to do that a few times. After one epic snafu, I noticed a window on the wrong side of a wall ... :D ... and yet the wall fit just fine.

FYI-I've asked Admin to move this thread to one dealing with houses where more members will see it. Technical Support normally deals with issues related to the operation of the forum software.

When I encounter warp I dampen the piece and lay it flat under weight until it dries, which takes care of enough of the warp that building with the piece will keep it straightened out.  My issues with my Glencroft, which I began to build as soon as I got it from the Fed Ex driver, was that a few sheets were old & dried out and I had to contend with breakage & splintering, which were easily dealt with using stain, sealer, glue & sandpaper.

4 hours ago, KathieB said:

I've built several Greenleaf houses without encountering a single warped board. It's possible the kit was stored on end rather than flat, as recommended. Over time, that may cause boards to warp.

Have you double checked to be sure some of the pieces were not installed backwards? I've managed to do that a few times. After one epic snafu, I noticed a window on the wrong side of a wall ... :D ... and yet the wall fit just fine.

FYI-I've asked Admin to move this thread to one dealing with houses where more members will see it. Technical Support normally deals with issues related to the operation of the forum software.

If it was stored incorrectly, it wasn't by me...I ripped that box open the minute I got it! couldn't wait to get started. I too have put parts on backwards LOL...not this time though. 

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

When I encounter warp I dampen the piece and lay it flat under weight until it dries, which takes care of enough of the warp that building with the piece will keep it straightened out.  My issues with my Glencroft, which I began to build as soon as I got it from the Fed Ex driver, was that a few sheets were old & dried out and I had to contend with breakage & splintering, which were easily dealt with using stain, sealer, glue & sandpaper.

I've wondered about the age of this set. I've used two tubes of wood filler because of the splintering and breakage. The foundation was so warped, I did have to wet and weight it until it dried. TWICE. The window frames were the worst for both issues. Even after all the fix it solutions they look rough. I'm not using much of the  timber trims as I'm going off on my own design. Stucco hides a multiple of sins. Can't wait to get to the roof on this disaster. God only knows how that's going to fit. 

• 1 month later...

I'm building the Glencroft as my first project. The fitting issue I've had have been my own, but I do recall that the stair parts on the upper floor (and the piece that protrudes into the living room) were hard to fit and required quite a bit of sanding. The windows needed a LOT of sanding. I had no warping/splitting issues, fortunately. 
Good luck with yours, I'm sure it will all turn out :)