Glencroft questions

uppitycats

I am doing a rehab of a Glencroft. .  For those of you who have built this house from scratch:

1)  Did the exterior walls come white, with a stucco (rough) finish?  The one I have has that....sort of.  I don't know if I should apply stucco over it (or need to)?  If I don't apply "fresh" stucco, then I'd need to paint it, as there are lots of "dings" and "nicks"...

2) The exterior trim:  I'm assuming that the trim is on separate sheets, and is supposed to be applied over the stucco'ed walls.  Yes?  

(No, I cant take the trim off..it's glued pretty tightly on, and I don't want to break it).

3)  Did the kit come with doors and windows, and trim?  I guess I really need to ask Greenleaf this....and see if I can get the sheet(s) that have these parts on them.. :)

4)  I'm stuck on what to do next. Options:

a) interior wallpapers and floors

b) exterior stucco/paint, paint trim

c) install interior doors and exterior door

5)  The Greenleaf website says the kit "comes with shingles".  Any idea of how many bags of shingles I'd need to buy?  (Yes, I know I can make them.....but I'm gonna buy them..  :) )

All ideas welcomed!   :)

Ann, I used construction paper to make the shingles.  After I glued two layers together nd before I cut them into strips and shingles I gave them a coat of lacquer (it didn't stop the sun from bleaching out all the color; I have since repainted the roof).  The Team Glencroft Construction Blog is now the Glencroft Construction Blog and everything is now in reverse order, so you have to begin at the last page and work your way forward.  You will see in the early pictures that the walls of the kit punch out of the plywood sheets just like all the other Greenleaf kits, no stucco.  After I sanded but before I stained the half-timbering pieces I laid them in place on their exterior walls and traced around them,  and when I was ready to do the exterior treatments I masked off the places where the half-timbering would go and spackled my stucco on the upper wall and made cardboard templates that I bricked with sandpaper for the lower walls.  I seem to remember that there are door and window frame and trim pieces on most of the plywood sheets, and the doors punch out of the places in the wall pieces where they go, so you might be better off tracing around your openings and making new windows and doors from scratch.  I like to use basswood for this.

According to their info, the Glencroft needs 5 bags of Shingles.  The older Glencroft kits did come with a stucco mixture. You should be able to paint over it if you'd like a fresher paint finish. I personally would put the wallpaper in before adding trim and doors :) I can't wait to see your house!

If you call Greenleaf, they can tell you how many shingles and also they sell parts that are not listed on their website--I was able to get replacement plastic windows this way. My Glencroft is not stuccoed, just painted-- it was built when I bought it.

On 2017-07-04, 1:34:43, uppitycats said:

I have been working on a Glencroft since February or so, and I quite love it. My answers are after your questions below. I can't wait to hear what others suggest as well!

1)  Did the exterior walls come white, with a stucco (rough) finish?  Walls were unfinished, but the instructions suggest the white stucco as a finish

2) The exterior trim:  I'm assuming that the trim is on separate sheets, and is supposed to be applied over the stucco'ed walls.  Yes?  Yes!

3)  Did the kit come with doors and windows, and trim?  I guess I really need to ask Greenleaf this....and see if I can get the sheet(s) that have these parts on them.. :) Yes, it came with doors, windows, and trim :)

5)  The Greenleaf website says the kit "comes with shingles".  Any idea of how many bags of shingles I'd need to buy?  (Yes, I know I can make them.....but I'm gonna buy them..  :) ) It comes with shingles but they all came in one bag, the instructions I have indicate 3 bags of shingles are enough if you are purchasing different ones.