Window Color Advice & Ideas!

madtex1967

So I was playing around with the paint on the windows for the Cape May.  I know the frame with be the dark green of the house trim.  The sashes will be the red.  It is the cap and the gingerbread I am unsure of the colors.  The picture tells more of how I am leaning with the yellow/gold and red on the cap and the yellow/gold for the trim on the frame.  One is painted the green of the main house color to see if I liked that. Also, should I highlight the dentil trim above the window sash?  (Excuse the sloppy painting, I was working quickly for ideas) :-)

Advice?  Ideas?

2017-07-06 22.00.14.jpg

I would paint the top part of the cap and the lower part of the trim sides and sill yellow/ gold and the lower part of the cap, the upper part of the trim sides and the dentil trim gold/ yellow (or a lighter or darker value of the green), but that's me.

The yellow/gold rather than the light green, definitely.  And I would paint the dentil trim the yellow/gold as well, although it will be kind of fussy to do.  It's so pretty; it should stand out.  Love what you've done on the house so far.

Definitely the yellow gold for the trim on the frame. If you look at this picture of a victorian door. The header above that trim is the same colour as is the dentil. I'm not sure I would do the dentil but definitely the first header in the gold colour also. I think I would switch the cap from yellow to green and either do the very top red as you have it and maybe try the sill in gold to balance it?... or the red...

Image result for small front porch ideas

Thanks everyone for the compliments and ideas!  I am down to the two choices below.  I am leaning one way, but wanted some more input.

Again, ignore the bad painting job :crazyeyes:

large.2017-07-11_22.07.36.jpg.df58de09fblarge.2017-07-11_19.50.46.jpg.0196f00f3e

It's probably just me, but I don't care for the dentil trim being a different color from the side trims on the upper part of the frames; either make them both gold, like in the lower picture, or both red.

I'm with the lower photo too. The dentil and side trim look better the same colour... I like the little bit of gold you've done at the very bottom of the window.. ties it all together. :D

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, madtex1967 said:

I just posted in my gallery the finished product of the windows and doors!  Thanks everyone for the input.  I am really happy with the way they turned out!

As I posted to your front door picture, that's the color scheme I was trying to describe.