Crown Molding

Roxxie2

I've always shied away from crown molding because I waste most of it trying to get the edges and angles cute right.  The half scale RGT Colonial came with crown molding.  Does anyone of a simple way to get the pieces cut correctly?   I am dyslexic so this might be part of the problem.   If you can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.  Thanks   

I usually use an EasyCutter. What helped me was understanding the difference between "inside" and "outside" cuts. I know there was a previous long discussion of how-to about cutting angles. I'll look for it an update this post when I find it. :)

Here's Holly's tutorial about cutting crown molding.and the angles. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=entry&id=957

If you search the forum on cutting angles there are a lot more threads on this issue too.

• Like 2

I have the Ultimate Easy Cutter, no problem there.   However the inside and outside cuts are where I go wrong.   I don't saw and I don't own a miter box.    I watched 4 different YouTube videos and still mess it up.   Hopeless?   I know what would help,   a really simple drawing  of an inside and an outside cut that I could lay the actual piece of molding on and draw both lines on the pieces.   I have to say most of all the discussions and tutorials on them make no sense to me visually when I try to do it.  Dyslexia isn't easy for  actual visual understanding.  

For what it's worth, when I use the EasyCutter, so that I can visualize what I'm doing, I typically think of the rail (of the cutter) as the ceiling, and the plate (of the cutter) as the wall. Maybe this is too confusing to explain, but by looking at it this way, I don't get my cuts confused. It helps me keep the molding oriented in my mind.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I like to put my molding on the wall and mark with a pencil where the cut will start and then an arrow for the direction.. I always mark on the face of the molding so that I know that is the beginning point for the cut. I get a bit messed up if the turn in the wall is not 45 degrees.. in that case I draw a line across the top of the molding showing the exact start and finish point. There are some corners that aren't the set degrees of the easy cutter and this works for those kind such as the bay windows in the San Franciscan... 

I think we all make mistakes on this stuff from time to time.. don't be so hard on yourself.. it can be confusing for everyone. :)

Once I figured out you are basically cutting it upside down, it made it much easier. The tutorial that Debra posted above is very helpful, and there are good pictures.

Another thing I did, is take a scrap piece and make and inside and outside cut, and labeled each with masking tape. Every time I do crown molding now, I pull out my samples to help me visualize.

Good luck!

You can eliminate cutting inside angles altogether if you use a small block of wood in the corner and butt the moulding against it. It makes a nice architectural feature. It can be made quite elegant with a tiny bead glued beneath it. Mike (mespak?) posted an illustration, but I don't know where to find it.

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

You can eliminate cutting inside angles altogether if you use a small block of wood in the corner and butt the moulding against it. It makes a nice architectural feature. It can be made quite elegant with a tiny bead glued beneath it. Mike (mespak?) posted an illustration, but I don't know where to find it.

mesp2k:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=53349 ?

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Thanks, Holly ... that's it. :)  Not sure how an outside corner would be handled, or something like a bay window, where corners are not 90 degrees.

22 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Another thing I did, is take a scrap piece and make and inside and outside cut, and labeled each with masking tape. Every time I do crown molding now, I pull out my samples to help me visualize.

That's just what I need to do!   I am so thick headed when it comes to doing this its embarrassing!  This house is pretty simple with right angles ( I think?)for corners.   I don't have any extra molding to play with but maybe I can do it with a square piece just to figure out the direction of the cuts. 
I am so dense!  :doh:

Thank you all for your suggestions and links! 

6 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

Thanks Mike I might tackle the crown molding soon!  :)

You're welcome Roxy & I didn't even have to lift a finger.  Thanks mini helpers!

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017, 8:14:59, KathieB said:

Not sure how an outside corner would be handled, or something like a bay window, where corners are not 90 degrees.

Well there's the inside & outside corners - the others look like they'd have to be cut at an angle?

imag002.jpg  Source: Creative Crown

• Like 2

Ok the half scale colonial  ( RGT) doesn't have many corners at all.  They all appear to be right angles...I was horrible in geometry!      No chance this week but I will give it a go next week.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I wanted to know about the easy cutter, it has some pretty poor reviews about crushing balsa wood and not cutting harder woods clear through.  Sometimes people doing reviews don't use a tool the way you should, so do a lot of you have this tool?  And how dies it work?  I have long used a miter box and razor saw for miniatures, and a chop saw for my house projects.

Most of them are good for 45 degree cuts because it has a fence to line it up with and hold it in place. The other angles don't have the fence so it is not as precise. It cuts balsa fine. A sharp blade is very important no matter what tool is being used.