Crown Molding

Roxxie2

32 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I wanted to know about the easy cutter, 

My Easy Cutter's blade is just a hair off vertical, so any cuts I make are not clean. I have to gauge the offset and then sand the surface to get it the way I want. I've tried changing blades. It's the frame of the unit that creates the problem.

1 minute ago, Debsrand56 said:

I have one of those.  It's one of my favorite tools.  I don't know how I ever survived before I got it.

I don't have the patience or maybe the strength for the little miter box and saw :cry:....It is small, but I never could never get a nice clean cut from it???

• Like 1

I think that no matter what tool one uses for whatever reason, it takes a bit of practice and getting used to the way it functions. It's the personal touch that determines the outcome in many cases.  I've long held that machines work beautifully for the operator who respects them.  ---end of philosophical brain fart :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I wanted to know about the easy cutter, it has some pretty poor reviews about crushing balsa wood and not cutting harder woods clear through.  Sometimes people doing reviews don't use a tool the way you should, so do a lot of you have this tool?  And how dies it work?  I have long used a miter box and razor saw for miniatures, and a chop saw for my house projects.

I have been using the Micro Mark Miter Master for close to 20 years with the same blade and I still get lovely clean cuts in the basswood I use.  I don't use balsa because it's so soft.  I cut thicker or harder stuff with my miter box and a flush-cut saw; because my miter box is aluminum and therefore also very soft, I put a piece of scrap wood in the bottom.

• 1 year later...

I HATE cutting crown moldings!  Like Roxxie it just doesn't seem to make sense to my brain no matter how many times hubby tries to explain it to me.  I did have examples that I'd cut and kept somewhere.....where that somewhere is I don't know!  I'm gonna look at these tutorials mentioned in here now and see if I can decifer it.

11 hours ago, Shareb said:

I HATE cutting crown moldings!  Like Roxxie it just doesn't seem to make sense to my brain no matter how many times hubby tries to explain it to me.  I did have examples that I'd cut and kept somewhere.....where that somewhere is I don't know!  I'm gonna look at these tutorials mentioned in here now and see if I can decifer it.

I hear you.  I finally found a video on YouTube, and had to watch it something like ten times before I finally figured out what I was supposed to do.  Part of my problem was I was trying to use my electric miter saw, and there was no easy way to place the crown molding to get the cuts I wanted.  I had to resort to my little miter box, which worked.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I hear you.  I finally found a video on YouTube, and had to watch it something like ten times before I finally figured out what I was supposed to do.  Part of my problem was I was trying to use my electric miter saw, and there was no easy way to place the crown molding to get the cuts I wanted.  I had to resort to my little miter box, which worked.

I had a look at the guide and there was one picture - a  pic of how they should look when cut for internal and external corners and it all just made sense! So I went straight out and tried it and sure enough - I had it!  I also have an electric miter saw and I remember my husband trying to tell me how I should be making these cuts, and me just not being able to figure it.  He finally came and had a look and realised that it can't really be done on the electric saw!  So yes, last night I used the easy cutter so I'll resort to that or the miter box.  Thankfully in the attic I only have two corners to worry about!!!  It does seem pretty ridiculous that it's one of those things my brain just does not want to figure!!  Surely it can't be that hard!  Nice to know I'm not the only one!  :D 

• Like 1

I have to stand the crown trim up on as if it’s touching the ceiling to fully comprehend where the cut should be. My mini table saw blade tilts so it can do multiple mitre cuts. I think our instinct is to cut it with the front facing down and that can really mess up the angle.