The Orchid...gross?

So, I was happily punching away, and being incredibly delicate with the parts, so I wasn't inspecting the undersides. I flipped them as a bunch, so when I was popping out the front wall, my fingers were touching yucky. Anyhow, I flipped it over and found this! Is this...normal? I mean, it looks terrible, the gap is kind of big, and I don't know if it is expected, or if there is a foolproof way to fix it. I don't think it should be like this...but what do I know! 

I can't upload the picture...here is the link http://imgur.com/a/IIJ5s Thanks!

• Like 1

Bummer. What an unhappy surprise. However, this is the nature of plywood ... sometimes the ply layers separate. If I were to come across this, I'd work some wood glue into the break, press the splintery bits into place, cover it with waxed paper, put a heavy weight on top and leave it overnight or longer to dry. 

• Like 1

If you tell them they will send you a new piece, I had to do that, and there was no problem.  But this is why I really don't think I will do another greenleaf. A perfect kit would be the style of Greenleaf and quality of Real Good Toys lol

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Beulah said:

If you tell them they will send you a new piece, I had to do that, and there was no problem.  But this is why I really don't think I will do another greenleaf. A perfect kit would be the style of Greenleaf and quality of Real Good Toys lol

I called them and I guess they are just sending me a new kit. The guy just took my name and address and hung up lol. I had two full sheets where the undersides looked like this. Is this a common problem with the greenleafs? I mean the splintering and stuff is doable, but the weird goo and tape is not cool.  

• Like 2

It looks like there was a knot in the top veneer piece and the black is the glue that they used to sandwich the veneers. I wouldn't worry about it. Just sand down the paper tape and fill the knot with spackle.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nyanXnyan said:

...Is this a common problem with the greenleafs?...

No.  As KathieB mentioned, there are occasionally issues with plywood.  In addition to Sable's suggestion,

16 minutes ago, Sable said:

It looks like there was a knot in the top veneer piece and the black is the glue that they used to sandwich the veneers. I wouldn't worry about it. Just sand down the paper tape and fill the knot with spackle.

I'd give the entire backside a skim coat of spackle and sand it perfectly flat once the spackle is completely dry.  If they're sending you a new kit, that ought to solve the problem.

• Like 2

I have run across this issue because I have bought kits from people who never put the house together & the storage was (most likely) a big factor. Applying wood putty, glue, or spackle can all help to rejuvenate the piece. The Magnolia that I am working on was a freebie and there was some water damage to one of the boards. I reinforced some of the worst pieces with bristol board and traced/cut out a couple of pieces on mat board. 

• Like 1

I didn't realize the paper tape was part of the original piece. This is more of a booboo than I've run into. I'm glad you're getting a new kit. :) 

• Like 1

Thank all of you for your suggestions! Yea, I was just kind of frustrated because it came that way. Once I accepted the pieces weren't tissue paper, I found another sheet that had the tape and black goop on the back too. It sands ok, I guess. I had so much difficulty spackling (maybe because it is old, or I just need practice) I am glad they are sending the kit. Their customer service was fantastic, I am very pleased. I am guessing they only sent another whole kit because it is the cheapie lol

• Like 2