Oh, no! The bug strikes again!

Debsrand56

OK.  I still have several more weeks (maybe months) left on the Merrimack, and I swore three houses was it.  Then, I innocently visited Jane Harrop’s site and saw this.  My spouse and I love trains; I mean really love them.  We never pass up an opportunity to travel by train.  We are members of the California State Railroad Museum and regularly make pilgrimages to Sacramento (via Amtrak, of course) to visit it.  Our bucket list includes several train trips, including trans-Canada by rail.   I showed this to the spouse and said, “I think it's just too expensive. “  Spouse said, “No, it’s not.  I’m ordering it.  We have to have this.”  Technically, it’s not a house, but it is another build and will take up more room.  (I am getting the half-scale version, of course.)  *sigh* Will I never be free of this addiction?  :bigwink:

• Like 3

I love that kit. In fact, I looked through all their 1/12 kits and I like a lot of them. I'm not so much into trains (although my dream is an open ticket on Amtrak to travel the US), but I would love to put two travel trailers together and make it look a little like that railway car.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I would love to put two travel trailers together and make it look a little like that railway car.

That's a great idea.  I'll bet you could do something pretty amazing, and I know there are travel trailer kits out there.

2 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Looking forward to seeing how you customise your kit

I immediately started thinking of the documentary we saw on the refurbished Orient Express, but I'm not sure that 's quite doable with this kit. :)

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

OK.  I still have several more weeks (maybe months) left on the Merrimack, and I swore three houses was it.  Then, I innocently visited Jane Harrop’s site and saw this.  My spouse and I love trains; I mean really love them.  We never pass up an opportunity to travel by train.  We are members of the California State Railroad Museum and regularly make pilgrimages to Sacramento (via Amtrak, of course) to visit it.  Our bucket list includes several train trips, including trans-Canada by rail.   I showed this to the spouse and said, “I think it's just too expensive. “  Spouse said, “No, it’s not.  I’m ordering it.  We have to have this.”  Technically, it’s not a house, but it is another build and will take up more room.  (I am getting the half-scale version, of course.)  *sigh* Will I never be free of this addiction?  :bigwink:

Why only three houses????

I'm glad your husband said he was ordering it. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Why only three houses????

Because the three houses cover the sideboard in our dining room (or will, once the Merrimack is completed).  Our real-life house just isn't that big, and we only have so many places to put them.  The train car can, of course, go on a bookshelf, so that's good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Because the three houses cover the sideboard in our dining room (or will, once the Merrimack is completed).  Our real-life house just isn't that big, and we only have so many places to put them.  The train car can, of course, go on a bookshelf, so that's good.

So you can build more half scale rai ,cars and display them on a bookcase :D

The kit looks great and what fun for you! Around here we all know the obsession is the cure. Have a blast!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

So you can build more half scale rai ,cars and display them on a bookcase :D

Who needs books, anyway, with all of the e-readers around. :D 

Yeah, yeah, go ahead and berate me with the "but I love the feel of the paper," etc. I used to be a book publisher. I saw each new title as a work of art. But I'm totally into e-books now. Time to grow with the technology, eh? :dunno:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Who needs books, anyway, with all of the e-readers around. :D 

Yeah, yeah, go ahead and berate me with the "but I love the feel of the paper," etc. I used to be a book publisher. I saw each new title as a work of art. But I'm totally into e-books now. Time to grow with the technology, eh? :dunno:

Don't worry.  We have eight bookcases (all but one floor to ceiling). We can spare a little room on one of them  for some minis. ☺

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

My advice when you run out of space... Think UP! You can double the sideboard space by adding a shelf above it! What a fun project to collaborate on with your fantastically supportive husband!

• Like 1

Looking at this kit I totally see the opportunity to make a diner! I feel like I've seen several concerted train cars on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on Food Network... I haven't seen many on the west coast, so I've always thought it was a midwest/east coast thing. What a great kit that sparks so many ideas!

Edited by MamaD
  • Like 2