Bases for the house

Missy A

Hi everyone!

Building my first house and I would like to make a yard etc. What does everyone recommend using for a base? Plywood? Do you glue it? I know this may seem like a silly question but I'd like to do it right the first time :) 

Thank you!

Missy 

• Like 1

Plywood makes a sturdy base, less likely to warp than a solid board. Are you asking whether to glue the house to it? My preference is not to glue if the landscaped area extends more than an inch or two beyond the footprint of the house. Anything larger than that can get awkward when it comes time to move it, however, being able to pick up the house by the base can be useful. It all depends on the size of the house's footprint and landscaped area. 

By the way, I see you're new here. Welcome! Here's a good rule of thumb to keep in mind: There is no right or wrong way to do anything related to miniatures.  Whatever works for you is what's right. :) 

I agree with Kathie, get a nice piece of plywood thats just a little bit bigger than your house unless you want a big yard and plan on making a forest or something (seriously I cant wait to see your husbands toys in the house that would be awesome)

Another thing to consider is making sure the base will fit through the doorways in your real life house.  You don't want a dollhouse you've worked hard to finish ending up stuck in a room or have to take things apart to get it out of there.

• Like 2

DH cut me a hunk of the leftover plywood from building our workshop for my to landscape for my farmhouse.  I don't ever glue the houses, as moving it through doorways can get really hairy otherwise:

56d51b52d0d3d-farmhousefrontyard(2).JPG

I get pre cut mdf or plywood from home depot. 24x24.  Most if my houses fit that size.  Having said that 2 of my houses, the began hill and my beach house are set (Not glued) to 36" rounds ment for making tables.   Got those at Lowe's.   I do have a non moveable display that gave my "compound arranged on it.  There are 4 houses and a trailer with swimming pool on it.  That one is a full sheet 8x4 plywood.   See. No rules

More specifically, Birch plywood is the preferred plywood. It is used for cabinetry and has a nice smooth surface. HD and Lowes have Birch plywood. Michaels has gorgeous Birch plywood, also. Plus it is safe for interior use. I would stay away from exterior plywood as the solvents and glues used to protect it from the elements are not meant for indoor use.

• Like 1

My bases get entirely covered up so it doesn't have to be nice/pricey plywood. I tend to use whatever's lying around the garage! Add a grass sheet and a nicely stained trim around the outside edges and no one will ever know what's underneath. :)

Here are some bases I've made, maybe you'll get ideas. The first two are plywood and the others are other materials.

http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=6701

http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=1867

Repurposed TV turntable: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=2074 and http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=2277

"Log slice" from craft store: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=9954

?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=v

Hi Missy, an alternative to plywood is builders foam...that's what I call it not sure of the technical name..it comes in huge sheets that you can cut with a knife...it's a little messy but I like it because you can stick things down in it like flowers, trees etc. Then you can build a frame around it. Makes a nice presentation. Not the best picture but might help to see what I'm talking about. 

IMG_2490.JPG

Builders insulation foam -- you must support and reinforce it with a frame and something underneath. It is not strong or stiff enough by itself.

Melissa, FYI - if you click on the + mark to the left of the word Quote, you can reply to two or more messages in one post. It's a time and space saver. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Builders insulation foam -- you must support and reinforce it with a frame and something underneath. It is not strong or stiff enough by itself.

Melissa, FYI - if you click on the + mark to the left of the word Quote, you can reply to two or more messages in one post. It's a time and space saver. :) 

You also don't have to erase the contents of the quote boxes, you can reply to each one under each one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

You also don't have to erase the contents of the quote boxes, you can reply to each one under each one.

Although for longer quotes, I like to erase all but the point I'm responding to, especially when there are humongous photos -- no need to repeat those.

Yes unless you don't put it in a frame and just have a somewhat narrow landscaping space, like I did on the Buttercup, also did that on my Pierce and Orchid. You wouldn't want to stretch  too far beyond the perimeter of the house with that method. Another neat thing about the foam is building up layers, for little slopes and carving stairs and ponds into it etc., of course Tracy (our admin here MinisOnTheEdge) does that masterfully on her bases. 

On 7/24/2017, 8:01:09, WyckedWood said:

Yes unless you don't put it in a frame and just have a somewhat narrow landscaping space, like I did on the Buttercup, also did that on my Pierce and Orchid. You wouldn't want to stretch  too far beyond the perimeter of the house with that method. Another neat thing about the foam is building up layers, for little slopes and carving stairs and ponds into it etc., of course Tracy (our admin here MinisOnTheEdge) does that masterfully on her bases. 

Thank you! I will check out her page :)