Printing Wallpaper

madtex1967

So . .  I found this pictures and decided I want to use it in my Cape May dining room.  It goes well with the story line I have in my head about the house.  I was searching on here about the best paper to use, but still unsure.  I have practiced with the print on regular copy/printing paper to make sure size will be correct.  11 x 14 is the best for the dining room.  I know to use matte sealer on the paper after letting it dry for a good while.  

But what do you all find best to use?  I am not too inclined to use card stock and it may be difficult to work around the corners since there are square posts in them from the building techniques of the kit.  Should I use photo paper?  Scrapbook paper?  Help! 

large.Original.jpg.b2b3fab5ced9e1ff5132c

I have no clue! BUT, there is matte photo paper.

My daughter worked at Office Depot in the copy and print section. You could save the file on a thumb drive and have it professionally printed. It might be better quality?

One print shouldn't be expensive at all.

It is a beautiful mural:drool2:

What a gorgeous print!

I would print it on an acid-free 20# copy paper with a high brightness rating with the highest resolution if I were printing it at home. The matt fixative will add a bit of strength to the paper. Kinko's or Office Depot or even a UPS store can provide a nice bright white paper that is a bit heavier than 20# but not as stiff as photo paper,

I'd even think about what it would look like printed on smooth white cotton fabric. That could be a very elegant presentation.

37 minutes ago, KathieB said:

What a gorgeous print!...I'd even think about what it would look like printed on smooth white cotton fabric. That could be a very elegant presentation.

Now THAT sounds awesome!

10 hours ago, KathieB said:

I'd even think about what it would look like printed on smooth white cotton fabric. That could be a very elegant presentation.

they do have a tutorial on how to print a picture on   youtube   all it takes is some freezer paper and a warm iron (please stop giving me ideas summer is almost over and I havent even gone to the beach yet) :)

• Like 1

I print a lot of my own papers, and typically use a light card stock. I find 20 lb copy paper a little to light to handle the glue well, but a good quality 24 lb will work. Photo papers come in various finishes, but are heavier weight paper. I'd try a couple different weight papers and test them to pick what you like best. The tooth of the paper and its brightness will make more difference than you might think, so it's fun to experiment. Do give it plenty of time to dry. I usually allow a minimum, of 24 hours for the prints and then another 24 hours after using the spray fixative. 

It's a lovely image. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you. :D

I like what Kathie says - I have printed on regular copy paper for smaller scales and I really wouldn't want the stiffness of photo paper. So an acid free 20#  or 24# sounds good. I had no issues using Yes paste on regular office copy paper prints - though I hear some folks have had trouble with it later in the life cycle. 

I also agree with Kathie.  I use HP Bright White for inkjets, which is a nice 24-lb. paper.  If you print it yourself, make sure that you tell your printer what kind of paper you are using (it can make a surprising difference in the color, I have discovered) and put your print output on its "best" setting.  Since you want 11 x 14, though, you may need to have this printed professionally, as Kathie suggested.  I also agree with Debora about allowing plenty of drying time, both before and after fixative.  While the idea of printing on cloth is interesting, my experience is that the color is never quite as rich and some of the smaller detail tends to get "lost in the threads."   That is such a lovely image, you don't want to lose any of it. :)  Looking forward to seeing it in the dining room.

Oh yes - ...I often spray the sealant and then walk away for 24 hours. Espec. with inkjet prints. Inkjet prints need to dry first of course - but I often let them dry for 15 min. The matte sealant step is where I let it sit for awhile.

On the flip side, I have also not sealed paper and it worked fine (color laser printer) without anything on it. But again - I am only papering in smaller scales.