Cobweb Cottage

Icewolf

(As I finally have a digital camara, I can share the progress of the project with you all!)

Cobweb Cottage (I'm going to keep the name for it, because it reflects the subject matter!) is my first proper 24th scale dolls house - to be honest, I prefer to think of it as a miniature house, because it's unlikely that it will ever have an official occupant - dolls aren't really my thing and finding 24th scale figures is quite challenging as there aren't that many of them around. I say that it is my first proper one because I had one previously which was one of those ugly, cheap plywood things that doesn't quite fit together properly. I had planned on turning it into a haunted house and even started buying small items for it - in the end, though, I just abandoned the project but kept the accessories to be used in a different project.

Cobweb Cottage is by Petite Properties - I have done some of their houses before, mainly working in quarter scale (to date, I have Candlewick House, the Yuletide Shop and Pumpkin Cottage (the last one is my favourite, of course, because of the wonderful detail on it and I enjoyed working on it immensely.) I love the aesthetics of Tudor houses, both in the real world, and in miniature, so when I saw Cobweb Cottage and how inexpensive it is compared to 12th scale Tudor houses, I just had to have it! Of course, my birthday is coming up, so it really is a birthday present.

Although there is a lot of parts for the kit, I found it quite easy to identify the parts and separated them into groups so that when it comes to fitting them together later I will find it easy to find them. I have test built it and it seems easy to put together. One of the problems I've found with 12th scale houses is that in larger houses the parts are big and heavy and I have difficulty getting them to fit together properly. (For this reason, I prefer to work with small 12th scale buildings like the competition pieces that DHE manufactured in its heyday.) With Cobweb Cottage, I find I don't have that problem at all and once I've completed the painting stage of it, I don't think I'll have any problems at all putting it together.

So far, I've started to paint the beams, house carcass (the latter will have to be continued once I've got some more white paint!) and some small lollipop sticks I bought by accident for another project. (I thought that they were the full size ones, but they aren't - I have used them in other projects, but as I bought two packs of a thousand, there's still loads to use up and although they weren't suitable for the project I initially bought them for, they have proven to be useful else where. I suspect that it will take a while before I've used them all up!)

To decorate the house, I'm going to just use paint, the lollipop sticks and 24th scale stone from Romney Miniatures. I've looked everywhere for 'real' tiles and stone work for the house as I prefer to use 'real' materials rather than using paper. (Paper always has a flat appearance to me and I don't really like it to be honest. If I can find something more 'real' then I'll use that instead.) I've decided on the random paving for the ground floor (as it looks more realistic when you consider the haphazard way Tudor buildings were built - I've been in one and the floorboards are of different thicknesses and widths. Because of this, I don't think that you have to be 'neat and perfect' when making Tudor and country cottages - the less neat it is, the more realistic it will look.) For the roof, I will be using the grey roof tiles and the grey ridge tiles. There house also came with two fireplaces and I shall be using brick strips on that. (I had been inclined to use random rough stone to cover that as I like the look better, but they don't produce it so I shall have to compromise with it.)

(This is the progress I have so far, because I've not been able to get the tiles and bricks for it yet as our dog needed an operation and this month I decided to treat myself to 'new' books and some girly stuff which I haven't had a chance to in a while. Hopefully, I'll be able to order them next month, sometime. I am also going to get some more thin balsa wood for internal beams.)

SUNP0026.JPG

SUNP0006.JPG

SUNP0007.JPG

SUNP0008.JPG

• Like 2

I really like PetiteProperties stuff...it is very affordable and well designed. At those prices, I don't feel so nervous about experimenting and customizing. They design the kits with little notches and slots so they are almost foolproof.

• Like 1

It says on their website that Stacey does 24th scale, but I've never seen them on sale anywhere in that size, only 12th scale. I also had difficulty finding the mortor that they do, too. Romney seem to have all the things I want apart from the rough stone. I'm not a fan of buying stuff off e-bay either because the last time I tired ordering off there I had issues with paypal.

I have the quarter scale Pumpkin Cottage, but I didn't want a repeat of it in a larger scale, otherwise I would have gone with that one.

Hi,you can buy direct from them in whatever scale you want. If you send them an e mail with a question they will discuss your needs. I found Emma was extremely helpful to me. For $5 about 3.50 sterling she sent me a sample pack of many things so I could see the size and thickness etc. I found the products beautifuly made and very reasonable.They may have the stone you want..

• Like 1

Yeah, but I prefer to buy from websites where I can just add what I want to a cart and pay by a non-paypal digital method. It's less fuss for me that way. They need to make their website more modern/customer friendly (and it would be more efficient for them too, because they won't have to keep answering e-mails all the time over inquiries.)

The company I've chosen to buy the stuff from also have pictures of the product by what you're ordering whereas they just have a list with no pictures. I don't really understand why people have to try and change my mind over where I order things from when I've already decided.

1 hour ago, Icewolf said:

I don't really understand why people have to try and change my mind over where I order things from when I've already decided.

One of the major benefits of belonging to this forum is access to an amazing amount of experience in both building practices and methods and obtaining kits, materials, etc. If there is a site out there selling miniature-related items, someone here has certainly had an experience with them. We tend to suggest sites where we have had a positive experience; we refrain from criticising sites that provide less than optimal goods or services. Sharing our collective experience provides options. Not all of us will shop in the same places. Don't look at this discussion as an attempt to change your mind, but as members mentioning sources they have found helpful.

As I've often said, there is no right or wrong way to build miniature houses. Ask a question related to method or materiel and the wide variety of suggestions will reflect the collective experience. In the end, whatever works for you is the right way to proceed. I suppose a corollary to this would include where we shop; what works for you is the best place to do business. 

• Like 5

On 7/21/2017, 10:34:56, Icewolf said:

here house also came with two fireplaces and I shall be using brick strips on that. (I had been inclined to use random rough stone to cover that as I like the look better, but they don't produce it so I shall have to compromise with it.)

In the spirit of my previous post, I have to ask: have you considered using pressed paper egg cartons or similar material (soft drink holders from fast food places, movie theater refreshment trays, etc.) to make rough stone? I used it on my pottery shop. If that's the look you want, it's an option.

50 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Not all of us will shop in the same places. Don't look at this discussion as an attempt to change your mind, but as members mentioning sources they have found helpful.

Yep.  And even if you choose not to follow up on the suggestions, other people may find them helpful.  I work in 1:24 all the time, but because of this discussion, I now have two new places to check out (I live in California, but I don't mind ordering from the UK).  :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Icewolf said:

Yeah, but I prefer to buy from websites where I can just add what I want to a cart and pay by a non-paypal digital method. It's less fuss for me that way. They need to make their website more modern/customer friendly (and it would be more efficient for them too, because they won't have to keep answering e-mails all the time over inquiries.)

The company I've chosen to buy the stuff from also have pictures of the product by what you're ordering whereas they just have a list with no pictures. I don't really understand why people have to try and change my mind over where I order things from when I've already decided.

I get what you're saying about carts and non-paypal methods.

I am sorry, I must have read your first post wrong. I answered to offer you info about where you would get your supples. I am sorry I offended you I had absolutely no wish to try to get you to change your mind, on the contrary I got some useful info from you . My e mails from them by the way were for questions I asked about choosing amounts needed and applying in odd situations not about their products. They took the sizes of my rooms and worked out exactly for me what I needed..I am not good at maths so I was very appreciative and impressed of the time they took to help me. I thought that info may help someone else. Again I am sorry if I offended you.

Edited by Jeannine

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I am sorry, I must have read your first post wrong. I answered to offer you info about where you would get your supples. I am sorry I offended you I had absolutely no wish to try to get you to change your mind, on the contrary I got some useful info from you . My e mails from them by the way were for questions I asked about choosing amounts needed and applying in odd situations not about their products. They took the sizes of my rooms and worked out exactly for me what I needed..I am not good at maths so I was very appreciative and impressed of the time they took to help me. I thought that info may help someone else. Again I am sorry if I offended you.

It was helpful Jeanine - I am also bad at estimating how much of things I will need. So knowing some sellers will help out is nice to know!

13 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Thank you Eslpeth, that makes me feel a but better, I t makes me sad if I have hurt  or have offended someone

Don't feel bad, even if the intended recipient didn't want the assistance a lot of us will appreciate the suggestion! :) ... I'm going to check out the site you mentioned too... I think we can never have too many options for mini shopping especially roofing options that don't include shingles. :D

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

Don't feel bad, even if the intended recipient didn't want the assistance a lot of us will appreciate the suggestion! :) ... I'm going to check out the site you mentioned too... I think we can never have too many options for mini shopping especially roofing options that don't include shingles. :D

Yes - all information is good for the archive searches! I know I try to search the archives first before I ask...it saves Havana Holly from having to answer the same question, asked by me for the 3rd time, lol!

17 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

Yes - all information is good for the archive searches! I know I try to search the archives first before I ask...it saves Havana Holly from having to answer the same question, asked by me for the 3rd time, lol!

Yes, but holly doesn't mind, sometimes the answer is so far back in the archives it's hard to find, or it's a newb who hasn't figured out yet we have archives.

I started this thread to show case my work and my project. I didn't specifically ask where people had got things from. When people don't accept that I don't want to buy things from a certain seller, but continue to tell me that I should, it gets annoying. Only give suggestions if asked, please. I had it before where people give me sales pitches for things I've not asked for. I respectfully ask the moderators/admins of this forum to delete posts placed after my initial posting. Thank you.