Does anyone know this house

Thimble Hall

Yeah.. I have the house, the railings which were not on the picture were in a bag as were the few missing shingles. I am really pleased with it and for $20 I guess you can't do much better than that..

Thank you again for the help, wow this forum is the tops .Now I just need to figure out what to do with it and I just bet their are pictures on here

• Like 4

Thank you Holly, it now has a post it note attached which reads " waiting to be told  what the house wants". You know I am more excited about fixing this than I am about building the huge one I have on my table. This looks more like fun.

• Like 1

Hi it is all painted but no more and It has been crayoned on. The outside color is not to my taste so will have to change that. The shingles are all there but not very well placed so am debating changing those, not strictly necessary though ,inside there are stairs but no railings, which is how it originally came I think and outside there are a some railings off but when I look at them there are a couple of pieces short. The siding is excellent, all the windows and shutters are perfect but there are no doors inside , again how it came I think, and the two external doors are not there. Nothing major. I think I may have suitable doors and I have big stash of wallpaper and I can re do the railings, the bits are available through the manufacturer. I think it may have come this colour from the factory, it seems to be like one on their site,but not sure, they may have just copied it. I will do the repairs first I think then decide how to go from there.

Yes I  think so, now I have to do something with it.

I could use some help regarding the shingles. Some are on evenly but some are very crooked and spoil the whole roof and the house is begging me to change that. but bear in mind this is the first house I have had that I am renovating so a new thing for me.

Could I therefore ask a few questions.

Is it possible to just remove the bad areas and replace them. 

Will they break coming off. Is there a trick to preventing that..

Is it worth it ,or is it just better to re roof it..this is what I am leaning towards

Lastly if I start with a clean roof  is there a shingle that is best. I have seen various shapes and also seen them in strips??

I apologize up front for so many  questions but you folks are so creative I truly value your opinions.

Thank you Jeannine

I just renovated one of these back in April. And many of the shingles were damaged. But, that is an awful big roof to redo, and I was on a time schedule. So I did just replace the damaged ones. Mine had been a store model, so was painted the colors on the website as well. So maybe yours is the same situation and the glue may be similar.

Here's what I did. I got a hair dryer, small needle nose pliers, and two flat screwdrivers, and heated one shingle at a time, or a small group. It takes a second to heat up, but then you can feel it start to move. For most of them, one screwdriver was enough, and I just worked it underneath the shingle and wiggled it until it came loose. Then I was able to pull it out from under the one above it. I replaced almost 100 shingles this way and it worked amazingly well. Some of them did split especially when I got a little impatient. So just go slowly. A wider blade may help too.  A lot I was able to reuse by just turning it over or around, so that the damaged part was hidden. When you are replacing them, reheat the area to loosen the glue to help it slide back in.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and have fun! It's a beautiful house!

• Like 1

Wow, now there's a good idea and I can be a wee bit picky ..coughs quietly...so will take my time.

I have been thinking of colors too and I would prefer a more charcoal grey to go with what I think I want, the other color scheme I have  in my head would probably need a more reddish roof.

Sparklepuppies..you are a gem, a million thanks, I never would have thought of turning them round.You know sometimes thank you just ain't enough so thank you again

Depending on the adhesive to attach the shingles if the heat by itself doesn't work dampen  rag with white vinegar and let it sit on your shingles.  I found a metal putty knife with gentle taps of a smallish hammer worked wonders to remove shingles (I've also used it on old flooring).  I have used sandpaper to make shingles:

farmhouse front yard.JPGthe USA General Store.jpg

• Like 1

Sparkle, may I call you Sparkle..you are exactly right.Your post has given me the incentive  I need.I know I will do it now.

Holly more good info, thank you so much. I feel like a real dope on here sometimes..but if anyone wants 1ply Shetland lace shawl info. just go ahead and ask.LOL I will catch up and learn though!!

• Like 1

I have also used construction paper:

outside

and corrugated cardboard for roofing

come on in.jpg

7 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...I feel like a real dope on here sometimes...

No need to, most of this info is not intuitive and a lot of it was learned through trial and error, often lots of errors!

• Like 1

Wow, that is a great job, I particularly like the Tudor style one. I am currently searching for a Tudor but so far one hasn't shouted."It's me"

You were right about the  house telling me what it wants,,it is doing that. Not in a lot of detail yet..maybe it is a shy house.

Today was shingles, day. The hairdryer worked perfectly and I took a lot out with it but I did find a snag. Once I started to remove the bad ones I found that there were a great many more than I thought, most of them where out of line and so after stopping and thinking about it for a while I decided to take them all off.They seemed to have more paint than glue on them and they came off in big patches,It only took about 20 minutes. I have ordered some new ones but I will keep the old ones as I think they could be recycled.. However I learned a very useful lesson . I also odered some missing railings and doors.

• Like 1