Newcomer Question: Confused by Instructions

graymachine

Hello, I was hoping someone could help clear up my confusion; I am building a Beacon Hill house and this is my first one. It is going smoothly, at least for being early in the process, but I am confused by the instructions and everything I read online tells me I should be terrified of gluing when I am not suppose to. The step I am on is Step 4 of section B. I interlocked the Right Wall with the Second Floor but it says to, "Glue just the section of this joint between First and Second Floor (5), nowhere else!" But there is no joint that goes between the first and second floors. Which joint should I glue? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Edited by graymachine
  • Like 2

@Beulah Thanks!

@havanaholly Thanks! No, I am not using hot glue; I never liked the stuff. I do woodworking, as well as metalworking, so I have plenty of quality wood glue and epoxies on hand, which is what I am using. I'm dragging an angle form along the glue edge to attempt to give a more realistic wall corner, but I am expecting to have to go back with a dremel to sand.

@L Swearengin I had previously found her, but I couldn't find any meaty details about my particular problem. A lot of helpful tips, though. Amongst other things, I realized that I don't have a lot of small scale tools. 

@rbytsdy I might simply be misunderstanding what it means by 'joint'; I work in transportation and joint means a particular thing on plans, which I'm getting the impression is a looser meaning here.

@Summersethomes Thanks!

Edited by graymachine

Looking forward to seeing your build, David. My BH build blog which starts here isn't nearly as focused and concise as MoreMinis' build blogs, but looking over it I do recall also being trepidatious about gluing; I got over it by extensive dry-fitting so that I could foresee what would cause fit issues.

To be fair, this won't be something that is highly focused on detail or accuracy; I promised my daughter that she would get to pick out the paint, carpet, etc. so I can fully expect purple walls, orange carpet, polkadots and so on. Still, she already can't contain her excitement.

• Like 2

David how old is your daughter?  If she's an older child I my be OK to install the doors & windows; also, if her friends who may come to play with it are also careful it may be OK to install windows & working doors; otherwise you might want to wait.  One of the really nice things about the Greenleaf houses is that they are easy to repair.

She is 5, so I expect to be performing repairs at a minimum; normally I wouldn't give her something that is really intended for older people, but her enthusiasm coupled with it being an opportunity to teach her about responsibility helped me make the decision, not to mention that it is something that we can do together.

I think leave out the windows and doors until she's older; she & her friends will want to reach through the openings to play and later when you're removing the stickers & crayon & markers' marks to refurbish it you can install the windows & doors; meanwhile I'd pop the trims and doors into ziplock bags and mark them, put that clear acetate transparency sheet into a flat box with the ziplock bags and put them somewhere in your workshop or wherever your man-cave is for later access.