Building a Beacon Hill

Hello, my name is David and I live in Kentucky. I purchased a Beacon Hill to build for my daughter after we went to the Children's Museum of Indianapolis and she fell in love with all of the dollhouse and dollhouse-related exhibits there. I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I am not particularly worried; it'll just take steady work, assuming the cats don't attack it. I'm on the forum looking for particular help with the instructions from time to time. Thanks for anyone that can help me!

Welcome to the little family, David.  Building dollhouses is addictive.  It helps to dry fit first, as some houses, like the Beacon Hill, have places that need decorating before assembly.  Invest in a roll or two of blue painter's tape along with a good wood glue (I like Probond or Titebond) and some clear-drying tacky glue for the clear acetate transparencies.  I always wait to install doors and windows until the house is built and mostly decorated, so I don't slop primer or paint on those clear acetate transparencies.  You can pin-hinge doors, or use strips of chamois, twill tape or Tyvek to hinge them.  Even if the directions say to use hot glue, DON'T.

You will do fine, David, the Beacon Hill was my first build and took me 11 months of weekends to complete it.  I enjoyed almost every moment of the build, of course, there is always some frustrating steps, many learning curves, and lots of mistakes but eventually you will make it through the build.  Many of these houses have been built, so keep that in the back of your mind, if others can do it, you can too!

• Like 2

Hi David,

I LOVE the Children's Museum in Indy! We took my niece and nephew there last year and could have stayed for several days. I can see where the dollhouses there would be inspirational. Have fun building your new house--and don't be afraid to ask questions. People here are exceedingly helpful.