Reviving childhood foursquare

Hello and Welcome

I gave my dollhouse to my neice because I thought I would be spending more time with her but my brother got divorced and my dollhouse went off to his Mother in laws housse and Ive never seen it again. at least you have yours to love again.  Ive been thinking about my old one a lot lately and I think I can probably make a replica (Ive been told I can do anything I want and I believe that now) but Ive got a lot of things on the back burner that I need to finish first and Rich has been complaining about thse house so ive got to clean up a little bit more I have a whole room upstairs thats a family room so Ive got the space it's just filled with dolls that I need to clean and dress. so enough about me.  I hope you get to start working on your house soon I cant wait to see your progress

Hugs

Marisa

Hi Sarah :wave:

Welcome to the forum. What a fabulous house! 

I agree with Holly, Vinegar is a great way to loosen glue.. I've used it myself with great success.

Get that album going!..We are all tapping our feet waiting for more pictures! :D

21 hours ago, Sable said:

A note for the future--I noticed that the roof has broken bits along the edge. When you replace those pieces make sure you line the bottom row up with the roofline rather than have them hanging beyond it. This ensures far less breakage in the future.  

That was the first thing I was hoping to fix. Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking of extending the eaves a tiny bit, so that course of shingles can be full length but supported (also, I like the look of broader eaves if I'm aiming at foursquare 1890-1930 style; small to non-existent eaves are very 1940s, which isn't as appealing for me).

20 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

And then I was sad. Really, really sad. I had turned it into a  completely different house. 

Oh gosh, I'm sorry. What an awful conclusion to all your work. :(

In this case, the house was never finished, so a lot of what I'll be doing is building on my dad's work, not removing it. It's always been a project -- often one we shared. The only thing I'll be doing to his hand-laid floors is cleaning them. Speaking of which:

18 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I like the bathroom as is -- it has such a warm vintage vibe.  What era do you think the house is? I get a 30s-40s feel. I wonder what its origins are. 

Did your dad lay the bathroom tile?

Yes, he did! I'll leave the whole bathroom as-is except for a thorough dusting. 

I'm thinking of foursquares built between 1890 and 1930 -- it's not quite right, because it doesn't have a big front porch and the front's a bit long, but the general outlines and hipped roof work for it, and the style speaks to me more than the more formal Georgian houses. Maybe because they're more of an east coast phenomenon! I started to do some era research and collect photos. The most clearly 'of it's era' thing in the house is a really cool enamel monitor-top fridge. They were introduced in 1927, so I'm thinking that'll be the year I aim for -- a house built a decade or even two earlier, with a brand new fridge, and of course all the older stuff still a possibility for furniture.

I do wonder about the origins of the house! 

Oh, and I'll definitely try vinegar for loosening glue -- I'd never heard of that one. 

Now I'm wishing I'd held off on posting to the forum the first time for just a little while longer, because you've all got me excited and the house is still at my folks' place. Oh well, it's motivation to get some 'real house' projects done.

Start a folder. All of the school supplies are out, so stock up on paper, a notebook, a folder. Request a catalogue from Hobby Builder Supply, and get on their email list. For each build of mine, I have a separate folder, and EVERYTHING goes in there. Paint chips, magazine cuttings, measurements, shopping lists, random stream of consciousness thoughts about the vision and  the plan. It helps to keep everything together, and stay on track for the final plan. It's also a nice reference that's portable to take shopping or carry paint or color samples.  

4 hours ago, Skellington said:

I'm thinking of foursquares built between 1890 and 1930 -- it's not quite right, because it doesn't have a big front porch and the front's a bit long, but the general outlines and hipped roof work for it, and the style speaks to me more than the more formal Georgian houses. Maybe because they're more of an east coast phenomenon! I started to do some era research and collect photos. The most clearly 'of it's era' thing in the house is a really cool enamel monitor-top fridge. They were introduced in 1927, so I'm thinking that'll be the year I aim for -- a house built a decade or even two earlier, with a brand new fridge, and of course all the older stuff still a possibility for furniture.

I do wonder about the origins of the house! 

If you want some 1920's/1930's interior inspiration and some eye candy to hold you over until you get your house.. check out Otterine's Haunted Heritage... 

But be warned, you'll fall down a rabbit hole for an afternoon, pouring over her lovely photos. :D

Not sure if there's a way to @ people in this forum, but I just realized I missed HavanahHolly's question. The base the dollhouse is sitting on was NOT part of it -- dad built it a few years after he gave me the dollhouse, as another birthday present, I think. The base is on casters, so I could haul it out into the middle of the room where I could reach everything without help. Thank goodness -- I'd never have been able to get it out of the closet without the casters, even now. It also has a locking drawer, which was very exciting as a kid even though I never had anything to lock in it. Seems the drawer pull has fallen off, so I'll have to fix that. 

The base-and-casters make it possible to reach both front and back and still store the house in a corner. It's also why so much stuff has fallen over, of course -- little things have to be stuck down if you're going to be rolling a house around (in this case, rolling it up onto the wood floor off the closet floor, and then up again onto an area rug).