House of Miniatures (Kitbashing Stories??)

MaryKate

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

Jodi you're so creative, those pieces are fantastic...I'd like to hire you to come bash my real life house! :) 

Ha ha! Thanks Karin! I wish I had the skills to make stuff like that in real life! I am the designated IKEA furniture assembler in the family, tho!

• Like 1

I love kitbashing, and I love what you guys have done with the kits.  I went a little bit nuts on ebay a few years ago and have duplicates of most of them.  Here's a cabinet or dry sink that was missing pieces that got turned into a child's desk: 

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_5527/gallery_10963_5527_7373.jpg 

This is what I did with the hepplewhite side table and chairs. 

gallery_10963_5527_76069.jpg

Some of my extra candle stands will become plant stands in my victorian house, eventually.  What I need is a good bash for the colonial nightstand, which is nearly as common as the chest on chest that you got for $1 as your introductory piece. 

• Like 1

MaryKate, I am sorry I missed your question earlier. The kits I have started working on this year are not yet stained but I have several glued.I was saving the stain job so I could do a room full at a time and I will be starting that this next week. However I am using the original glue and it working just fine. The bottle I am using is from the 70's and had never been opened. Because I have so many kits I pick the finishing kits on ebay when I can. I think if the glue is OK the stain and sealer will be.it was the glue I worried a bit about but it is no problem. I finished 40048 last night,the Chippendale Breakfront.Sorry no pictures yet.  I never did the picture thing on the computer, my husband always did.but...I did finf=d a you tube thingy yesterday with instructions on how to take it off my camera. Just need to get my volunteer stuff over today and I will have a go at that.

I love that redone dresser into vanity by the way and I think I have three of those..great idea.

XX Jeannine

I always stain before gluing because no matter how careful I am with the glue, some seeps out and I don't get it all wiped thoroughy and the least residue acts as a barrier to the stain.

I would agree usually Holly and I have done that with other kits  where I can but I find with these kits I prefer  to do it the other way, I apply the  glue using a split toothpick which works for me without seepage

The other thing is with the House of Miniatures  kits I like to sand the joints a wee bit after they are glued together and then  they get 4 coats of finishes before I am done  with some sanding in between some layers. I find  I get invisible joints that way with no raised grain . I have some pieces I made way back in the early eighties and they have stood the test of time. It is a lot of work but I think these particular kits are worth it and I find it very relaxing working on my lap as if I had all the time in the world LOL

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I found this thread while looking for ideas for bashing the HOM candle-stand!  Somebody gave me one (another one!) yesterday ...

I know that Brae has bashed a number of HOM kits, as well as others -- she collected some in one post here --

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/re-purposing-house-of-miniatures