Working Shutter Hinges

madtex1967

So, I am going to put shutters on my Cape May.  The kit had shutters with it, but only solid pieces of wood and boring.  I am building louvered ones out of components since the standard brands do not fit.  I want them to open and close as on a real house.  After some trial and error, I was able to get my pattern pieces together and am ready to start building the shutters.  But the problem I see is the hinges.  The specific shutter hinges are EXPENSIVE :crazyeyes:.  I know trying to use regular hinges, I will need an off-set pair so they will close properly.  Any advice on hinges to purchase?  I need some of the experts builders here as this is the first time I have tried this! 

11 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Buying "Miniature" hinges is kind of like buying an Audi when a Kia will do just as well for a lot less. Try searching "Jewelry Hinges". You can get a set of 20 on Etsy for around $4.00. Good luck! Can't wait to see!

now thats something I can use, I didnt know that jewelry hinges existed.  thanks for the tip :)

23 hours ago, otterine said:

Feel up to trying to make them?  If you have a real life hinge reference, it might be the most straightforward even if it's not easy to do.

https://www.thespruce.com/make-model-hinges-from-scrap-metal-2366845

Brae, although I have patience, I am not sure I could do that.  Especially when a already made alternative is available that I can afford. :bouncesmile:

14 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Buying "Miniature" hinges is kind of like buying an Audi when a Kia will do just as well for a lot less. Try searching "Jewelry Hinges". You can get a set of 20 on Etsy for around $4.00. Good luck! Can't wait to see!

Jodi, I have a few places like that favored on Etsy and eBay.  But I do need offset hinges and I didn't see any from these suppliers. :sad?:

12 hours ago, havanaholly said:

You could pin hinge your shutters.

Unfortunately Holly, pin hinges won't work.  I wish they would!  :closedeyes:

Thanks for the input and suggestions!  I bought some of the offset hinges for $3.99 for six that Deborah mentioned.  I figure that is not too much of an investment if they don't work, and I could use them elsewhere.  I hope they work.  Unfortunately, regular mini hinges will not work on the shutters and i needed the offset kind.  I am just not sure if the offset is as deep as the shutter is thick.  I will see when they arrive next week!

Also, I am almost done painting the windows and door frames.  I will post pictures next week with my final choices from the various inputs!

4 hours ago, madtex1967 said:

...Unfortunately Holly, pin hinges won't work.  I wish they would!...

I wish you lived closer, you could come over and I'd show you one way to do it.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I wish you lived closer, you could come over and I'd show you one way to do it.

I'd like to see that myself. Shutters don't have frames like doors and windows, so I can't imagine where the pin would go to hold it in place unless it would go inside the window frame, which would mean it could not be opened flat against the house.

I was thinking of adding a piece to the top & bottom edges of the shutter where it would be hinged and attaching the other end to the sides of the window frame so the shutters could be closed over the windows as wanted.

Building on Holly's idea, you could add small pieces of wood (little rectangles of square dowel or some such) protruding from the wall or window frame above and below the window opening (sand corners round for aesthetic purposes) and then pin hinge through those as the pivot point for the shutter. 

I wish I could draw or Mike was around to do you a computer render. :)

5 hours ago, Samusa said:

Building on Holly's idea, you could add small pieces of wood (little rectangles of square dowel or some such) protruding from the wall or window frame above and below the window opening (sand corners round for aesthetic purposes) and then pin hinge through those as the pivot point for the shutter...

I thought that's what I said...

45 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I thought that's what I said...

Now that I re-read your post Holly I see that you did.. When I first read it I thought you said to attach the piece of wood to the shutter. Now I see you intended it to be hinged there also. :)