Halloween Swap

pgwyn

• 2 weeks later...

I'd participate if I did 1:12 scale.  Actually, I'd be happy to make 1:12 scale items; I just don't know what I'd do with the ones I got in return.:)

I've participated in a couple of different swaps.  For one, in which we have eight participants, one person was in charge of collecting addresses, which she then provided to everyone else.  We each mailed our swaps directly to the others. 

In the other, one person was in charge of collecting and distributing the swaps (35-40). Everyone had to get their swaps to her by a certain time, then she put together and mailed out packages for each person.  We made enough for the whole group, so each got one of our own swaps back, to make it simpler for her.  She was able to calculate in advance what the postage would be, and we sent the funds to her as well.  This seems like a very big task, but I guess she herself doesn't have to pay postage, and she gets the pick of the litter when allocating the swaps.  :)  If someone ended up dropping out, his/her box was auctioned off to the larger group to help defray costs for the following year.

For swaps. the idea is that you make (or buy, or buy and embellish) items, as many as there are participants in the swap.  If there's a theme, of course, your items should be in line with it.  It's nice, because in return you get some really lovely and unique items.  However, you do have to think about the time/money it would take to make or buy items for (potentially) many people, and plan what you make/buy/embellish accordingly.  Someone always does have to coordinate in some way, and there is generally a cut-off date for signing up and for sending off swaps.

Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

In the past Chesterfield zoo has run many swaps here on GL. She's always done a great job. If you message her, she might be willing to do it again.

Before Deanna did it Linda Cullen was our original swap hub and it burned her out.  I have had too many mini items get lost (or destroyed) in the mail to think the item by item swap would be as successful as having the hub collect and mail items out in bulk.

• Like 1