Pierce cladding, finishing of the outside

Shareb

Hi all - I have been working steadily on the Pierce roof - it's taking forever.  I realise now that the Pierce shouldn't really have been my first 1:12 scale dollhouse!!  I also understand the sentiment (that someone from here told me quite early on) about being good at miniatures is learning how to 'hide stuff'!!  :eekout:

I was going to clad the outside with weatherboards but was concerned about the fact that I've already glued all the windowsills etc to the outside.  I double checked the instructions and I did follow them  - the windows were step three!  I've pretty much given up on the weatherboards idea.  As Tracy's is my fav Pierce I've decided to try using paperclay to 'stone' the outside instead.  Given that my idea had been to clad, I hadn't been too concerned about rough edges etc.  Now I'm going to glue of layers of thinnish paperclay, how good does the finish have to be before I do this?  How much will show through?  I'm attaching some photos to illustrate what I have to work with.  Please don't judge them too harshly!!  Any and all encouragement welcomed!!!

Optimized-Pierce outside to op3.jpg

Optimized-Pierce Outside to op.jpg

Optimized-Pierce outside to op2.jpg

Optimized-Pierce outside to op4.jpg

I am a horrible, terrible person because I do NOT install the windows or doors when the instructions say to; I wait until I'm done decorating and finishing the exterior.  I do lay the window and door trims over their openings before I build the kit and trace around them so I can mask that area off to keep it clear for glue later.

• Like 1

Far from being a 'horrible, terrible person' Holly for not following instructions, I would say you were clever, far-sighted and on to it!!!  :)  Very good idea about tracing around them at the beginning.  As you can see I picked up a half-built Chantilly which I have yet to start.  Some windows etc had been glued on, some have been pulled off.  I think I'll pull the rest off and start with a clean slate so to speak.  What do you think about laying the paperclay over what I have for the Pierce?

6 hours ago, Shareb said:

...What do you think about laying the paperclay over what I have for the Pierce?

I haven't used paperclay (because I use spackle/ polyfilla instead), but if you're going for stone cladding why not prime the shell with a grout-colored flat finish primer and lay your paperclay over that?  You can also use the polyfilla to smooth any rough areas and "seams" and sand it flat & smooth when dry before priming, if you're concerned about it.

• Like 1

I should think the paperclay will cover the joints, etc., very well. After all, it will not be applied tissue-paper thin. I'd roll out a small slab and apply it to the base of the tower, see how it works. If the paperclay layer will be solid, I'm not sure that Holly's suggestion to use grout-colored primer -- or any primer at all -- would be necessary. 

When in doubt, experiment. :D 

• Like 1

The grout nd covering the "seams" would be if she were doing individual paperclay stones; if she's pressing the stonework into the solid sheets of clay, them my suggestions are moot.

• Like 1

Yeah I will attach it as a sheet rather than as individual stones.   I know I have to do some work to the third floor tower room I added on.  I'll have to sand it back a little so it fits together more seamlessly.  So saying, the good thing about Queen Anne is that they weren't afraid to use many different materials.  I could always shingle that room seperately.  The other tower I used Bromley's stone stencil and coloured spackle.  I put it onto grout coloured cardboard and then attached the card to the walls.  They're okay - I loved them when I first did them, but I'm not overly keen on the seams.

So it looks like paperclay is quite hard to come-by in NZ.  Plus it's expensive AND it's coming from overseas so it's going to take a couple of weeks to get here no doubt.  Has anyone tried making paperclay for this use and if so, which recipe is best?  Again I've looked at a few and as we have different sorts of drywall joint compound (whatever that even is) I'm not sure which one available here I should use....

17 hours ago, Shareb said:

The other tower I used Bromley's stone stencil and coloured spackle.  I put it onto grout coloured cardboard and then attached the card to the walls.  They're okay - I loved them when I first did them, but I'm not overly keen on the seams.

1 hour ago, Sable said:

What did you use on the tower?

Yup!  What Kathie said!  :) I do wish now that I'd chosen a much smaller house to begin with!!  I wonder how many of us have made that mistake!!!  :drool:

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, D Sadowski said:

What brand of spackle would you suggest to use of clapboard? I am working on my very first dollhouse ever and of course want to not make it look like the picture on the box at all! I want to get rid of the precut siding look on the exterior.

Do you want a smooth or textured/Sandy finish?

• 2 weeks later...

Edward, you can call Greenleaf and order instructions for the Pierce:

GREENLEAF DOLLHOUSES
  436 LAKE ROAD
  SCHENEVUS, NY 12155
  UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
  Phone: (800) 253-7150
  Fax: (607) 638-9076
  email: customerservice@greenleafdollhouses.com