wallpaper

Hi, I posted earlier about wallpaper difficulties and got several good suggestions which I am going to try.  I removed the old wallpaper which was stained thru with wallpaper paste in several areas and the paste was wet and tacky.  What is strange is that it was dry 24 hrs after I applied it and was perfectly fine for 3 days.  My question is has anyone had problems with humidity?  I live in a very humid area.  Could this have caused the paste to dry and then become wet again?  would appreciate any suggestions :)

Huh, weird. No idea as I am not in a particularly humid area. I like to use a tacky glue rather than wallpaper paste as I never had good results with that. Smear it on your walls, get a good even coverage (not too thick), allow it to get a little tacky (not wet) and smooth on your wallpaper. I use a clean rag to smooth over the paper for a few minutes to get it all smooth and stuck down, especially at edges.

I know that's not what you asked for, but it may help trying something different? Have fun with it anyway!

• Like 1

That is strange. Does the stain have an odor?

I know my greasy fingered kids don't have any problem touching stuff when I'm away. And the cat loves to sneeze right after she scarfs down wet cat food.

Kilz primer works good for mysterious stains. I probably would peel up the stained section, primer, then reapply the paper.

OH, almost forgot :wave: welcome to the forum Tanya!!

• Like 1

Tanya, I also use wallpaper paste, premixed from the hardware store, and it doesn't get much more humid that the Gulf Coast, but I've never had wallpaper become wet again after it dried, or stain the wallpaper.  Welcome to the little family.  Where are you?

• Like 1

I'm a huge wallpaper paste fan. I use what Holly uses. If you or your next owner never ever plan on changing the paper go ahead and use glue. However, if you want to be kind to the next owner use wallpaper paste. It comes off easily with warm water or vinegar and water and a putty knife. Glue, on the other hand, is never easy to get off.

I apply it using a 3" paint brush, then fold it in half for a few minutes to help it even out.  I start from the top and adjust the paper as I butt it up to where it needs to go, working down the wall. Then smooth out any bubbles or excess paste with a credit card. Then wipe it down with a damp paper towel. As long as it has been precut to fit its easy to put in place and always dries beautifully within 6 or so hours.

• Like 1

In addition to what Sable does I have a small brayer I think was for wallpaper borders that I use to smooth out bubbles.  I brush the paste on the back of the paper in a thin, even spread.  I papered a few RL houses, so I use a scaled-down version to cover dollhouse walls.

To those of you who use regular wallpaper paste: do any of you spread the paste on the wall and press the paper against it? Seems to me it would be easier to position a dry piece of paper than one even slightly softened by the paste and make it easier to keep fingers paste-free. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

To those of you who use regular wallpaper paste: do any of you spread the paste on the wall and press the paper against it? Seems to me it would be easier to position a dry piece of paper than one even slightly softened by the paste and make it easier to keep fingers paste-free. 

I have done that with scrapbook paper.  I get a more consistent thin layer of paste on the back of the paper.  I lay the paper face down on  sheet of waxed paper to apply the paste and then carefully peel the pasted wallpaper off and lay it on the wall.  I only get paste on one or two fingers, which I wipe off on a damp rag before opening the sheet of paper out over the rest of the wall and smoothing it flat & into position.

Shannonc60   thank you, I tried your suggestion last night on a scrap piece of wood, primed it and then used tacky glue,  everything dried beautifully with no seep through and when i peeled back an edge this afternoon it was dry underneath.  I realized this way prevents me from easily removing the wallpaper at a later date but it is the only thing that has worked.  Also putting the glue on the wood instead of the paper was soo much easier. 

6 hours ago, chrystalrose said:

Shannonc60   thank you, I tried your suggestion last night on a scrap piece of wood, primed it and then used tacky glue,  everything dried beautifully with no seep through and when i peeled back an edge this afternoon it was dry underneath.  I realized this way prevents me from easily removing the wallpaper at a later date but it is the only thing that has worked.  Also putting the glue on the wood instead of the paper was soo much easier. 

Happy to help Tanya! Making minis is really a 'horses for courses' thing and what works for one won't always work for another. Sometimes it helps to try different ways! Also, tacky glue is water based and I have removed wallpaper without too many worries.