Identity crisis

WyckedWood

These houses sure have a mind of their own. How hard do you fight this? It seems like the more detailed my original ideas are, the more the houses are determined to impose their own will. I thought I had the MHM all well thought out..then by chance drove past a Peruvian winter lodge with snowflakes painted on the shutters....

• Like 3

I listen to the house because it always wins. Always! There is just no use fighting it. They know what they want and it's our job, no, our duty, to give it to them.

I've found that the times I've tried to impose my ideas on the house, everything stalls, or there are mistakes and problems in the build. I discovered it's just more peaceful and enjoyable to let the house have its way.

I say all this tongue-in-cheek, but really do mean it too. :D 

• Like 2

I also notice that having a doll in the house just takes the whole thing up a notch. When I added Gertie (my first doll) to my most recent cottage I was just putting her there for safe keeping until the MHM was finished..now I have this driving need to finish the interior of that cottage which was just left in limbo without bedding or decent furniture let alone proper cooking accessories...where are these thoughts coming from...lol. 

Perhaps it is that little bit of childhood imagination and creativity that we have to dampen down as we mature. It's that tiny bit of whimsy we still have in our hearts. It feels so strong because we cage it up as adults, but once it is free, watch out!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Dalesq said:

I listen to the house because it always wins. Always! There is just no use fighting it. They know what they want and it's our job, no, our duty, to give it to them.

I've found that the times I've tried to impose my ideas on the house, everything stalls, or there are mistakes and problems in the build. I discovered it's just more peaceful and enjoyable to let the house have its way.

I say all this tongue-in-cheek, but really do mean it too. :D 

THIS!  too many times I tried to make a house what I wanted, and the house always won! :bangin:  Now I just sit back and listen to it!  :hmm:

• Like 5

As a first time builder, I had read these forums and various of your blogs before starting. I can tell you that my house most certainly informed me what it wanted to be, and also, has completely changed the backstory I had for it. I love it, because it's made decisions for me! 

• Like 3