How do people dispose of their miniature collections?

Marjorie

I know nothing about miniatures. I have had these in storage for 10 years now. Is there no Market for Miniature Collections? No expert to evaluate what a person has? Is an auction company the only option? Since this collection was loved by its previous owner, I would like to see it in the hands of someone who knows and loves miniatures. How do I do that?

I second that you should try contacting NAME. I know they were considering putting together a sort of referral service, but I don't know if they have, When I still had my store people used to contact me about the same thing, but couldn't find any better answer.

Where are you in Florida? My club in Boca Raton takes donations to sell at our annual show in March. If you are interested in donating some items, please message me. Look for the envelope icon and address it to Sable. 

Where are you in Florida? My club in Boca Raton takes donations to sell at our annual show in March. If you are interested in donating some items, please message me. Look for the envelope icon and address it to Sable. 

LOL...my husband said: "people usually dispose of their miniature collections in our basement".  I have been gifted several houses full of furniture in the last few years.  I rehab them and give them away or give them to charities who want to raffle them off.  I would be interested to hear what you learn about this topic.

• Like 1

Thank you

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017‎ ‎9‎:‎36‎:‎44‎, aquamarineus said:

Giving it as a raffle item or auction is a good idea. 

Thank you for your ideas. I think I would need some type of appraisal to put it up for auction. They would want a starting price. Where can I find an appraiser who knows miniatures?

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎45‎:‎53‎, Tanya said:

LOL...my husband said: "people usually dispose of their miniature collections in our basement".  I have been gifted several houses full of furniture in the last few years.  I rehab them and give them away or give them to charities who want to raffle them off.  I would be interested to hear what you learn about this topic.

It's sad really. Most hobbies have someone who can appraise a collection and a way to connect with potential collectors.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017‎ ‎10‎:‎08‎:‎29‎, Sable said:

I would like more information by your club on how donations work. I'd only consider donating if the entire display was taken. Your club would have to send someone to pack it and transport it. I would like to keep this possibility open.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017‎ ‎11‎:‎09‎:‎45‎, L Swearengin said:

That's an issue my kids might have.  But with their attitudes toward my houses, thet will probably just burn them.  To bad for them, as I said before, it's their "inheritance".

You may be right. Unfortunately mine is going to Goodwill. They are the only ones, including local miniature groups, who will pick up and take the complete display case and the dolls, furniture, etc. complete.

On 8/8/2017, 10:53:22, Marjorie said:

Thank you

Thank you for your ideas. I think I would need some type of appraisal to put it up for auction. They would want a starting price. Where can I find an appraiser who knows miniatures?

I gave a house to the PTO at my school to auction this past spring. I had looked through messages here and people said that around $200 people tend to stop bidding. I told the president of the PTO that, while I hoped it went for more, they should try to get to the $200 mark. They started the bidding at $85 and it sold for $190, which included some furniture (the house was a flea market find for $20, but I had to redo everything except the shell). If I had known that the parents of a 5-year old would win it, I may have done some things differently, but at least it was a RGT house (mdf).

The thing is, when you look on craigslist, the prices are outrageous. I have seen stuff that looks like absolute trash and the sellers say, "just needs a little clean up" or repair, and if someone doesn't know what they are doing, they are going to get quickly frustrated with the project. From the pictures, I can't even say that there is an emotional attachment to the houses, just people looking to make $$ on junk. I would like to be an appraiser and be able to add my comments to all the houses I see on line! Things like, "Way over-priced," "even after you use a bleach solution, there still might be mold," "lovely hand-crafted may mean that it is not true to scale." Caveat emptor.

Sorry for the rant.

• Like 1