Scale issue/Toilet

mythreecents

Please ignore the rough finishings in the picture, I'm not done yet. 
I put some of the furniture in my nearly finished Glencroft, to get a look at the big picture. And the first thing that jumped out at me is that the toilet looks TINY compared to the bedroom furniture. (I've learned that all 1:12 scale is not created equal).  My cottage is of the present time, but was inherited and thus the fittings are a mixture of new, old, and in-between as the previous owners did updates throughout the years. 

I really, really want to keep this style bathroom. But, it looks terrible. My questions are:

1. Can I make the toilet look bigger somehow? 
2. Should I just buy a different one? (last choice as my budget has already been wrecked)
3. Is there some kind of modification that will give the appearance of the toilet looking bigger, maybe dividing the room with a pony wall? I don't want to go full room divider. 

Advice and suggestions warmly welcomed. 

Novice-ly,
Liz

IMG_1078.jpg

Perhaps you could put the toilet on a pedestal of some sort to make it taller?

Like this.

Image result for toilet on raised pedestal

or this.

Image result for toilet on raised pedestal

Sorry to all who don't want to look at photos of toilets.. :giggle:

If you have one, sit a 1/12 scale doll on it for a perspective view. Snap a quick pic just for observation. It might help you visualize the scene.

I purchased one a few yrs ago with the opposite problem. The doll needed a ladder to get on the thing!  I took a pic of it to help me see if it was as back as I thought. It was! Pictures don't lie. 

• Like 1

Those Chrysnbon kit toilets always throw me off. Personally I think that bump out in the front should be in the rear. But that's the way they designed it. Little boys would have a devil of a time potty training on that toilet's design. 

• Like 1

Holly yours looks fabulous, in fact, that's why I bought the set I did!  But I think it's looking wrong compared to the bedroom, when I look at the bathroom alone  it looks fine. 

I do like the idea of raising it a little on a platform. One thing I've loved about this kit was the amount of "scrap" wood, which I've used to build shelves, a kitchen island, and kitchen cupboard. 

1 hour ago, Sable said:

I think the scale is fine. Measure your real life toilet and see if if it is 1/12 of your miniature one. 

Maybe I need to drag a chair into my real life bathroom and see how it looks... ;)

I think it looks fine, but if you are not happy with it, it will likely keep bugging you. I second the suggestion to put it on a little block of wood, and take a look at your real life toilet as you suggest. Beds are pretty big you know, so maybe just seeing a bed and toilet in one view is what is putting you off, as in real life you will not see that very often (at all I would hope!).

• Like 1

The standard size toilet in one of our bathrooms in our older (1974) condo seems miniscule to me. It is 15" from floor to rim with an 8" rough-in (distance from wall to drain). We tried to replace it with a comfort height (ADA compliant) unit, but a standard toilet rough-in is 12", so none would fit. Even our plumber couldn't find a modern toilet with an 8" rough-in. Maybe your little people ran into a similar problem. :dunno: 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mythreecents said:

...I think it's looking wrong compared to the bedroom, when I look at the bathroom alone  it looks fine...

That's the issue.  Your little people who will live in the Glencroft  won't be looking at the commode at the same time they're looking at the bed.  If it looks fine to you looking at the bathroom alone, then it is fine, and needs no replacement.  As for the shape, it much like the commode at my hubs paternal grandparents' house, and none of our three boys had problems using it when we visited.

• Like 1

I think the issue is comparing it to the bed. This really isn't an issue when you get right down to it because many beds are large and dominate the bedroom space and dressing the bed makes it seem even larger, while porcelain fixtures in a bathroom are supposed to look more delicate. So I would just chalk it up to the bigger, comfy-looking bed and not worry about it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, amyole said:

I think the issue is comparing it to the bed. This really isn't an issue when you get right down to it because many beds are large and dominate the bedroom space and dressing the bed makes it seem even larger, while porcelain fixtures in a bathroom are supposed to look more delicate. So I would just chalk it up to the bigger, comfy-looking bed and not worry about it. 

In some houses I've gone with a twin bed instead of double. 

• Like 1