Guess I'm diving in headfirst...

Foxbright

Hi there! 

This afternoon, a friend of mine gave me a dollhouse kit that she's had in her garage (yikes) since before her kids were born; a Duracraft 505.  It was packed in 1995, about a week before my thirteenth birthday--I can only hope that it doesn't fall entirely apart when  I start putting it together.  I'm really thrilled that she thought of me.

I've never built a dollhouse before. I always wanted one as a child, but there was never room in the houses where I grew up.  When I hit adulthood I got into BJDs, doing all my own faceups, making my own wigs, etc; I've been building cardboard roomboxes for them, but never had an actual dollhouse kit.  It's a different thing almost entirely, I think, from working in scavenged Amazon boxes and hot glue.

And now I have this marvelous present, which is huge and overwhelming and probably not a good place for a total n00b to start? I'm excited, but also I very badly don't want to mess it up, so I suppose I might get a much smaller and less-expensive kit and start with that.

At any rate, I'm really glad to find the resource of these forums, so that if I get into a tight spot I can beg for help!

• Like 3

Welcome Gen! If you start at the start and take your time, I am sure you can do a great job of your kit. There's a good chance someone here has built that kit (the farmhouse?) and can help you along. I have waaay too many BJDs too. I started off into miniatures and then discovered Blythe through miniatures and then discovered BJDs through Blythe. But I can't afford BJDs anymore! Look forward to seeing your progress photos.

• Like 1

Hi Gen, and welcome to the forum!

As you build your house, keep in mind our admin Tracy's (Minis on the Edge) motto: It's hard by the yard but a cinch by the inch. :D  Easy does it. Take it slow and ask as many questions as you need to. No question is too trivial and may be helpful to another newbie on down the road.

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Gen.  Is your kit the Farmhouse?  Lucky you!  I have built two Dura-Craft kits and have another one in the box, waiting its turn.  One thing I beg of you, do NOT ever use hot glue in any phase of constructing a dollhouse kit (other than possibly spots to hold edges together whilst the wood glue or tacky glue dries and I prefer to use heavy duty steel staples).  Masking tape is your friend, and dry fit before gluing.

• Like 1

Welcome.  This is a wonderful forum.  There is always someone here to answer all your questions.  Just remember "no" question is silly.  We all have what we think is silly but hey that's the learning process. Take your time and have fun with us 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum :) 

You'll do fine. As the others have said, ask whatever questions you have, someone or many someones here will have answers for you. You'll find your BJD skills will aid you in minis.

Try not to worry about "messing it up." I found that fear of messing up would make me stall and become frustrated. Don't fret about it. Most mistakes can be fixed, and besides...once you've been bitten by the dollhouse building bug there is always the next house...and the next...and (you get the picture)! :D

Most importantly, have fun! Enjoy the process, and the adventure! 

• Like 1

Welcome Gen.  I am new as well.  I think you may have helped me identify my first dollhouse.  It was already built when I got it but needed refurbishing badly.  If mine is a Dura Craft you have a very sturdy dollhouse.  You can go to my gallery and see the pictures.  

Everyone here is so helpful you will have all your questions answered.  Welcome.

Holly, since you have built Dura Crafts, do you think that is what my first dollhouse is?  Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pgwyn said:

...Holly, since you have built Dura Crafts, do you think that is what my first dollhouse is?  Thanks.

I have built the San Franciscan and the Cambridge.  I went online to check images of the D-C505 and that's what came up.  For whatever reason my computer won't go to your profile page to let me look at your gallery photos.  Perhaps Kelly can better help you ID your house Patti.

• Like 1

Have no fear...you will love building your first house.  My first was a Greenleaf Brookwood...bought in 2014, just finished this year.  Meanwhile, I have bought a few more houses, completed several and furnished them completely for gifts, been gifted several houses and several kits (2 just today)....and I am not looking back.  You will make mistakes...the first house is a big learning curve.  But, you will likely treasure it and be inspired to build even more.  Just remember that these are some of the nicest, most generous people you will encounter in the world...right here on this site.  Everyone has given me so much advice every time I have asked.  Pinterest is also a great source of inspiration.  I am so happy for you...get to work!

• Like 2

Thank you, everyone, for being so welcoming! It's refreshing, in these days of Reddit and angry comment threads. ;)

Yep, I should have said for sure, but it's the Farmhouse--I took an hour today and went through to make sure it still had all the pieces after twenty years of being moved from one garage to another.  It's missing a couple of feet of corner join and one other small piece, but I've already found a guy on Ebay who will sell replacement pieces for only a couple of dollars, so I can be on my way whenever I'm ready.

I'm debating whether or not to get something like the Orchid as sort of a tutorial house--still a lovely size, but not gargantuan, and while I know they've got some different techniques it would give me a chance to learn some things before starting on this one. But I have this one already, and I'm itching to get started...the craftsman's dilemma, eh? Do what's in front of me, or do something else AND what's in front of me?

I hope everyone's having a great evening!

• Like 1

My first practice house was a Primrose. It gave me the confidence to move on to the big boys.

Yes, this forum is a lovely place. It's a great place to hide from the cruelty of so many places on the net. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Foxbright said:

...It's refreshing, in these days of Reddit and angry comment threads...

I'm debating whether or not to get something like the Orchid as sort of a tutorial house...I have this one already, and I'm itching to get started...the craftsman's dilemma, eh? Do what's in front of me, or do something else AND what's in front of me?...

Flaming, etc., is not tolerated here.  I bean building with the Dura-Craft San Franciscan and next was the D-C Cambridge, and then I started with the smaller Greenleaf kits.  No dilemma, do both!

• Like 1