Adding patina to fake copper?

fov

Does anyone have a good technique for adding a realistic patina to copper paint? I'm working on faux copper tower roof for the Victorianna. This started out as a turned wooden bell. I added braided cord to embellish it and painted with copper paint, now I want to add some aging. i know you can buy some kind of patina paint but I don't know if it's meant to be used on real copper or not. Any advice?

Here's how it looks so far. The finial is just sitting on top of it, I don't know if I'm going to use it or something else.

copper-roof.jpg

• Like 1

Michaels sold a kit that included copper colored paint, a very dark blackish green paint, and a pale greenish paint. You were supposed to sponge each color to get the aged copper look. I have used it on my copper roof.

I mixed a verdigris color and drybrushed it on, adding bits of white & darker green and rubbing it with a rag on the painted copper roof of my lighthouse; it doesn't really show up in my photos (and the painted seagull splops show up much more):

lantern room with roof

17 hours ago, fov said:

Does anyone have a good technique for adding a realistic patina to copper paint? I'm working on faux copper tower roof for the Victorianna. This started out as a turned wooden bell. I added braided cord to embellish it and painted with copper paint, now I want to add some aging. i know you can buy some kind of patina paint but I don't know if it's meant to be used on real copper or not. Any advice?

Here's how it looks so far. The finial is just sitting on top of it, I don't know if I'm going to use it or something else.

I love it, Emily! That's going to look so amazing on the Victorianna!

I really liked this stuff:

IMG_5004.JPG

I only added a tiny bit on top of gold leaf just for some color, not a real patina look. You can apply and blend and wipe and layer as you like. I got mine from Alpha Stamps but I know you can find it at a lot of art and craft stores.

• Like 2

You might try Rub n Buff - by Amaco - d*** Blick carries it or you can get it online. Michaels and Joann used to sell it but I wasn't able to locate that color on their site. Michaels has 2 gold ones and silver. Joann has more colors but not that one. Ditto with HL....I can't recall where I got mine - probably online.

d*** Blick

http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco-rub-n-buff-metallic-finishes/#description

27102-7001-1-3ww-l.jpg

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to try the Vintaj paint to start. I like that it comes with three different colors, I think I can apply it with a dry brush to get the effect I want. If that doesn't work I can re-paint the copper and then try one of the rub-on finishes.

Heidi - the forum software censors out Dick Blick, but I knew what you meant! :) (Edit: Actually, it didn't censor it for me... because I capitalized it? Because I'm a moderator? Not sure why.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fov said:

...the forum software censors out d*** Blick, but I knew what you meant! :) (Edit: Actually, it didn't censor it for me... because I capitalized it? Because I'm a moderator? Not sure why.)

I see the software still censors d*** Blick for the rest of us, and I always capitalize it, being as it's a name.

Yeah, the forum must un-capitalize it when it censors it. A while ago I looked for a setting to turn this off and couldn't find one.