I have a stash of mohair

Thimble Hall

I have a stash of real mohair fabric, lots of it. One of the things in the past was making mohair bears. As many of you may know it is very expensive material but my teddy making days are over and was wondering what to do with the fabric. Has anyone utilized it for anything in a doll house. I have some that is sheared very short and some which is quite long, all colors of brown and many other colors too.  There is also a large quantity of real wool felt, some very thin colored leathers. some chamois and real suedes  and quite a bit of Ultra suede.. Any ideas?

You could clip the longer mohair for flocking 1:12 animals (like the head of the lionskin rug).  The thin leathers can be used to upholster chairs & sofas, shoe and dress dolls and I used imitation leather to cover the bar top in my  pub.  I can think of lots of uses, although as Shannon has pointed out, using mohair seems awfully expensive.  Why not make little girls' jackets out of it and sell them (or gift them, if you don't need the money)?

• Like 1

Thank you some good ideas. I don'twant  to make them into anything unless it is for the dollhouses, if I do I am working on something else and might as well make bears with them and I don't want to spend the time doing that. I probably have an ideal fur  for  the lion skin rug do that is in the planning once I figure out how to do the head. I did think of coats for the doll house ladies or stoles etc but that would only use a bit. Thatching now there 's a thought but would it not look like fur on a roof, I can't picture it in my head.It would be great if it looks OK though as I am planning on thatching something. I have a couple that are very low pile, that may work as carpet certainly as rugs, and I think I have a long shear off white one which would make a sheepskin rug.

Well I have thought about that, but most of the mohair is  is too long a pile for making mini bears, I do have some but not loads of that type. I did think of doing a whole bear house with a family, staff etc actually and still might but then I probably would have to buy more.

However if I did it 1/12th scale rather than real mini I just may be able to do that.

Thank you for resurrecting an idea, now I have to look for a suitable house.

4 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Well I have thought about that, but most of the mohair is  is too long a pile for making mini bears, I do have some but not loads of that type. I did think of doing a whole bear house with a family, staff etc actually and still might but then I probably would have to buy more.

However if I did it 1/12th scale rather than real mini I just may be able to do that.

Thank you for resurrecting an idea, now I have to look for a suitable house.

I always thought the Sugarplum would make a great 3 Bears house.