A house of your dreams

Thimble Hall

Remember how I said I was going to stop after three dollhouses because of space issues?  I might have lied.  I just found this post:

I'm not sure if this counts as "available," but I think it does, because the article provides the information to DIY the house.  I think I could adjust the plans for half scale. This is going in my "someday" pile.  It's probably as close to a Henry Colbert dollhouse as I'm going to get.  :drool2:

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

Remember how I said I was going to stop after three dollhouses because of space issues?  I might have lied.  I just found this post:

I'm not sure if this counts as "available," but I think it does, because the article provides the information to DIY the house.  I think I could adjust the plans for half scale. This is going in my "someday" pile.  It's probably as close to a Henry Colbert dollhouse as I'm going to get.  :drool2:

That house is awesome and looks like fun to build. I know you could do it!

(Those Popular Mechanic Books inspired my husband as a child. He can build anything and is a cabinet maker to this day. He still talks about those books.)

• Like 1

Just now, Mid-life madness said:

(Those Popular Mechanic Books inspired my husband as a child. He can build anything and is a cabinet maker to this day. He still talks about those books.)

That is very cool.  I've always wanted to do a project from there.  I love that he did and that it led to a life-long occupation.

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I adjusted the scale of my Pepperwood Farm plans to 1:48 and it is working nicely so far. I'm already planning on trying a Sear's Kit house next - from Frank Moroz plans. I find it easy to use pre-made windows and so far it has been easy to make adjustments for window size changes. For the most part it works so well. Jackie Dieber's plans were well done. I am now looking at her Plumbrook Cottage plans. Anyway - BUILD IT!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

That house is awesome and looks like fun to build. I know you could do it!

Over the years this one has come up several times and one of our members, mesp2k, very kindly drew up some plans for it for another member. He is a master at drawing plans. You could try Private Messaging him to see if it is something he saved and would share.

I can't seem to lay my hands on any of the links to it at this time. I seem to remember an album posted by someone who actually did it but not the name of the member. :sad?:

Old age is the pits!!

• Like 1

Thank you all, the reason I started this topic was because I thought I had bought the house of my dreams when I imported the very large Grosvenor Hall from the UK but I find more and more each day I go off it and it just sits there half built. I really have very little interest in it at all. I have another couple of used houses which I am very happy to redo and I have a few kits under the sofa which are interesting and nice which I will enjoy  but nothing I have has  that WOWEE factor  and I just wondered what else there was out there to moon and croon over and was available or at least attainable via e bay etc.

I have to admit the Lawbre ones are interesting me.I clearly didn't fish in the right pond before. I am slowly working my way through all your links ,,thank you

• Like 2

On 8/11/2017, 4:18:04, Jeannine said:

Thank you all, the reason I started this topic was because I thought I had bought the house of my dreams when I imported the very large Grosvenor Hall from the UK but I find more and more each day I go off it and it just sits there half built. I really have very little interest in it at all. I have another couple of used houses which I am very happy to redo and I have a few kits under the sofa which are interesting and nice which I will enjoy  but nothing I have has  that WOWEE factor  and I just wondered what else there was out there to moon and croon over and was available or at least attainable via e bay etc.

I have to admit the Lawbre ones are interesting me.I clearly didn't fish in the right pond before. I am slowly working my way through all your links ,,thank you

I was like this when I got my giant RGT front opening Federal Manor. I was certain it was the house for me, but I went off it. It has found a better home elsewhere. Since then, I have happily settled down with some wonderful Craigslist finds. Turns out I love adopting houses! And deals can be found, so it was better for me to have several houses that made me happy than to invest in one giant one. I had so many ideas for my giant manor but they were really disjointed...so when I finally realized I could just get several houses in different styles and have more variation, I was quite happy. Good luck finding the right combo/house for you!

You are right. I did manage to put the last bit of primer on it last night and I have decided I am not going to do the basement part as that is what I don't like. I think. I have the lights for all the rooms, actually I have pretty much everything for all the rooms including the 5 roomed basement...oh well such is life.. maybe I will post a picture of the basement and someone may have an idea.

36 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

The Art Deco house plans  that Selkie mentioned is  on e bay .

Thank you, Jeannine.  I think those are just printed out copies of the plans you can get from Popular Mechanics (which, through the wonders of the Internet, are available on Google books).  The ones that Mike made were inspired by PM but are not quite identical.  For example, he greatly expanded the kitchen/dining room part. If I exactly halved the Popular Mechanics plans, my kitchen would be 3" x 3".  That's small, even for half scale!  I have PMed Mike, and he concurred with me that I should try the house out in foam core first, to make sure everything fits together properly and to see what adjustments I might want to make.

I'm going to amend my dream houses too. I have the Hofco house, but I'd take a Lacamas Lake house, a Walmer Nob Hill, an ACP Queen Anne Rowhouse, and the Walmer Victorian Mansion. Oh, and maybe a Lawbre Nantucket, the Lawbre Galena Farmhouse, and the Lawbre Bungalow. Plus a saltbox house. I sure like that blank check idea! So if anyone who finds one of those and is feeling generous, just ship it on over to me.........