Noodling how to make roof tiles

SewMini

While I wait for my hinges and door handles to come in for the Casa, I've been noodling the next big construction task (outside of decor) I'll have to do which is the roof tiles. Since the house is in Spain, I, of course, want the clay style roof tiles. I'm not super happy with the tile scale to house ratio I'd get with using the innards of cardboard boxes though. I feel like it's just a tad small. I want thinking about getting some 1/4" dowels, cutting them into smaller lengths, then gluing them to a spare piece of wood. Then I'd get some textured art paper in a terra cotta color (thank heavens there's a Blick art store down the street from my office!), cutting that into strips, wetting the strips down and then forming them onto the dowel template. Has anyone done this before? Would there be any drawbacks to doing this? I know it would take time but, to me, it's less annoying than cleaning corrugated boxes. Thoughts?

27 minutes ago, SewMini said:

I'm not super happy with the tile scale to house ratio I'd get with using the innards of cardboard boxes though. I feel like it's just a tad small.

I agree.  I did the corrugated box tiles for a half scale roof, and I thought the size looked pretty good, so I think they would be small for 1:12 scale.   You could buy actual clay tiles.  If you go the dowel route, I might do half rounds instead of full dowels.  I know Earth and Tree sells half rounds in a lot of sizes, and I'm sure there are other sellers out there who do as well.

P.S.  I love the doors and hinges you have chosen!

6 minutes ago, otterine said:

That second tutorial is amazing.

1 hour ago, 1martinimomma said:

I saw on CaseyMini's blog post she was doing a barrel tile roof.  Here is how she made hers.  You can follow the blog forward to see how it turned out.  Just a thought.

http://caseymini.blogspot.com/2017/08/spanish-tile-for-zar.html

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Here's how Casey's movie theater tray barrel tiles turned out. They're awesome!

http://caseymini.blogspot.com/2017/08/success.html

JACKPOT!!!!

Miranda, it looks like fast food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.....And a few movies!

I'd do this the more labour intensive way, but you'll be happier with the result i think - get the terra cotta paperclay and a pasta maker, glue skewers to your roof structure and flatten the paper clay, then run it through the linguine maker - lay the strips over the roof, the skewers will give you the "corrugation", and then with water colours or an acrylic wash go over the clay tiles to give some variation - you can also put textures into the tiles if you want before the clay sets.  it's amazing stuff, and half way through you may cry, wondering why in hell you listened, but in the end it's totally worth it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dooder85 said:

I'd do this the more labour intensive way, but you'll be happier with the result i think - get the terra cotta paperclay and a pasta maker, glue skewers to your roof structure and flatten the paper clay, then run it through the linguine maker - lay the strips over the roof, the skewers will give you the "corrugation", and then with water colours or an acrylic wash go over the clay tiles to give some variation - you can also put textures into the tiles if you want before the clay sets.  it's amazing stuff, and half way through you may cry, wondering why in hell you listened, but in the end it's totally worth it.

Ugggggggh this is making it seem not that crazy! I have a feeling I have a pasta machine in my future. Think Think Think