Window cleaning question

7 posts in this topic

Nearing the end of my first build. Just noticed a little dirt (fingerprints, speck of glue) on the acetate windows, and I know you folks will know the best way to clean them up. 

Help!  
Thx

For the fingerprints dip a q-tip into warm water with a drop of liuid dish detergent and try that.  if it's tacky glue, try a fingernail.

1 person likes this

For fingerprints, I'd use the cotton swab, but I'd use a bit of Windex or similar cleaner that doesn't leave a film as the detergent might. 

6 hours ago, Sable said:

Kathie, doesn't Windex cloud some plastics? I've been warned not to use it. 

Really? Good to know! i've not run into that problem, but maybe I've just been lucky. I guess testing in an inconspicuous spot would be in order, like a drop on the end of a toothpick in a corner that might be hidden by a flower box. 

1 person likes this

I follow up the detergent with a wad of water-dampened tissue, in case my solution wasn't dilute enough.

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Deconstruction: What about the windows?
      By eamedling
      My current project is repairing a very used, maybe not finished Laurel that I got for $10 on Craigslist.  One of the things I know I want to do is remove the doors, which are currently glued in place, and add hinges so they can open.  They are currently hot-glued in place, and I know that I can use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue for removal, but I'm concerned about what the heat will do to the windows in the doors themselves.  The plastic looks very thin and I don't want it melted or warped if I can help it.  Has anyone else dealt with this before?  What did you do?  Should I just plan on replacing the plastic while I have the doors out? 
    • When the windows don't quite fit...
      By mythreecents
      Progress on my Glencroft has come to a halt!  The windows and doors need an exceptional amount of trimming to fit properly. I'm wondering if there's a faster/more effective way than sanding them by hand? I also tried a Dremel but it can't get the corners properly. Any suggestions appreciated before it becomes a pile of toothpicks!  
    • Removing glued on lace from windows
      By vbharrington
      I bought a San Franciscan 550 this past weekend from Craig's List.  The house is fairly sound, and is only missing interior stair railings (as far missing/broken components)  The tower roof is not original (or so I've been told) but the low roof doesn't bother me.  Here's my question.  Someone, at some point in the past, glued lace to the windows of the house (as you can see from the picture, the person took care to use the same pattern in each window)  While I don't hate the look, I'd rather have something else.  Whoever glued this lace in must have used some spectacular glue, because this lace is all stuck tight.  Any suggestions to remove the lace (without having to take apart the house) would be greatly appreciated.

PS If anyone has any ideas for the roof (aside from building a "witch hat" tower roof) I'd like to hear those too!

• Brand new to dollhouses - Erica
      By hellogingy
      Hi,
      My name is Erica and I recently ordered the Greenleaf Willow kit (due to arrive tomorrow), as well as purchased a partially complete Greenleaf Garfield (which is HUGE!!!!).  The Garfield has quite a bit of damage and work that needs to be done so it is more of a restoration/build.  Super excited to join this group and build my dollhouses.  I'm 32 years old and have never had one for myself, and I have two boys so I figured I better make one for me since I probably won't have a daughter.  I live in San Diego, CA.  I have two boys age 10 and 7... and a small boston terrier named Roxy. 
    • Need Help - Yellow Windows
      By AngelaL
      I'm fixing up my old dollhouse from when I was a kid.  I am NOT an expert at dollhouses ;)  My problem is many of the windows are yellow now.  About half of the windows are in the house and half have not been put in yet.  Is there anything I can do other than taking out the windows and redoing it all?  What material do you suggest using that won't yellow?  I would put glass in them but don't want to risk it breaking if a kid is using the house.. and I don't see how it would work anyways since it is way thicker.  Many of these windows slide open.  Thanks for any help.