Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Making Flowers & Leaves with paper punches.

50 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if the flower/plant makers among us would know the best paper punches to use to make flowers and leaves with. I've read that punch bunch makes some good ones but they have several sizes and I'm not sure which to go with. Are the mini size or the small size better. Also for larger leaf plants such as ferns should I go with a medium punch. Also with flowers, should I layer a mini punch flower on top of a small punch flower for variation? If anyone with expertise can point me in the right direction I'd be much appreciative. 

In particular I want to make some geraniums for window boxes but I also want to make some Hydrangeas and maybe even some gerbera daisies all complete with leaves of course! :D

This is my all time favorite topic! Lol :)  you want the mini not the small, except something like ivy can be very large in real life so I have both mini and small with that one and a few others. 

1 person likes this

Thankee Karin !!.. I knew someone here would know... I've been trolling around the web for hours without much luck.. should have started here first! :doh:

And if it's your favourite topic, feel free to offer some pointers and tips. :D

Well before I started collecting punches I had made a lot of kits. Kits from hankypanky crafts, Bonnie lavish, Mary kinloch, sdk miniatures, etc. So I had the shape of the petal and the basic instructions from my experience with the kits, and I saved the instructions. Without that prior knowledge I would have been pretty lost. There's a good tutorial for geraniums on the kris compass blog, one inch minis by kris. As far as which punches to buy for which flower, just buy all the mini ones you can! I also buy some of the Martha Stewart punches that have smaller shapes in them. The mini 4 petal, 5 petal, teardrop shapes etc are all great to have. Then you also need the wires, very thin to thicker, that I also learned about from different kits.  And different papers to cut or punch the flowers and leaves from. And acrylic paint and zap a gap glue to hide the connections between petal and stem. And ball stylus to shape the petals and a piece of foam to shape the petal on...all that I learned from kits. Best advice I could give would be to watch all of the Mary Kinloch videos on YouTube to get a sense of how to construct the flowers. She sells laser cut petals on eBay but if you're using your own punches her methods will still get you going in the right direction. I follow her on YouTube so I'll go grab the link. If you're on fb she also has an fb group that's good for ideas and advice. 

1 person likes this

Paper punches.. I have a great big box of those left over from card making days they were destined for goodwill this week. Gee it would never have entered my head. Thank you for the topic and thank you for the reply. got to go and rescue that box.

3 people like this

25 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Paper punches.. I have a great big box of those left over from card making days they were destined for goodwill this week. Gee it would never have entered my head. Thank you for the topic and thank you for the reply. got to go and rescue that box.

First rule of miniatures Jeannine.. never throw anything out!... This hobby will turn you into a hoarder.. lol

1 person likes this

I was trying to get rid of some hoarding so I had more room for houses..oh eck I guess I have to keep all the boxes of assorted papers too LOL

2 people like this

6 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I was trying to get rid of some hoarding so I had more room for houses..oh eck I guess I have to keep all the boxes of assorted papers too LOL

Absolutely!

1 person likes this

Hoarding? I look at it as a judicious preservation of valuable resources. :D 

3 people like this

5 hours ago, KathieB said:

Hoarding? I look at it as a judicious preservation of valuable resources. :D 

Awesome definition. May I borrow that when I need to?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

Awesome definition. May I borrow that when I need to?

Go for it. If I had time right now, I'd embroider it on a pillow, me. :D 

Wow, I just looked at the Youtube video, wow

1 person likes this

OMG.. I just went on a punch buying spree.. I got about 40 punches and spent way too much money.. What is wrong with me!!! :eek::rofl:

3 people like this

I think it sounds like a smart investment. ;)  take a look at the price of artisan created garden flowers and bouquets, formal floral arrangements,etc. and the cost of punches seems pretty small right? :)

2 people like this

55 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I think it sounds like a smart investment. ;)  take a look at the price of artisan created garden flowers and bouquets, formal floral arrangements,etc. and the cost of punches seems pretty small right? :)

No kidding!.. But now I need 26 gauge & sugar wire? zap a gap, origami paper, paint, flock, gel medium etc...... lalala.... wheeee!... :eek: :D 

Oh, and I loooveee Kris Compass' geranium tutorial.. definitely trying those. My window boxes are going to be soooo pretty!

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Samusa said:

No kidding!.. But now I need 26 gauge & sugar wire? zap a gap, origami paper, paint, flock, gel medium etc...... lalala.... wheeee!... :eek: :D 

Oh, and I loooveee Kris Compass' geranium tutorial.. definitely trying those. My window boxes are going to be soooo pretty!

When you get those Gerber daisies made, send some my way!!! Those are my favorite flowers in RL. (They are difficult to grow from seeds too?!)

I have been drooling over these...https://www.etsy.com/listing/73494182/dollhouse-miniature-pink-gerbera-daisies    but I can't buy them at that price.

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

When you get those Gerber daisies made, send some my way!!! Those are my favorite flowers in RL. (They are difficult to grow from seeds too?!)

I have been drooling over these...https://www.etsy.com/listing/73494182/dollhouse-miniature-pink-gerbera-daisies    but I can't buy them at that price.

Gerbera daisies are my favourite in RL too.. DH knows to only bring those home if he buys flowers. :D 

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, Samusa said:
Just now, Samusa said:

Gerbera daisies are my favourite in RL too.. DH knows to only bring those home if he buys flowers. :D 

I bought seeds online....Ha ha, what a joke that was. I just buy them from the nursery now. They do pretty well out here in pots.

1 person likes this

I know there are a lot of supplies needed but once you have them they'll last forever since you'll be using such small amounts. The bad thing is, at least for me I couldn't find many of the supplies locally, which means paying for shipping and waiting and waiting :) experiment with different papers though. People do beautiful things with just regular thin painted paper.  Different sizes of the ball stylus tool will come in handy. In the kids section of the craft store they have the (probably 1/4 inch thick?) foam mats, those work good for pushing the petals down in to shape them. 

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I know there are a lot of supplies needed but once you have them they'll last forever since you'll be using such small amounts.

Oh, I always go overboard with supplies... I've got enough merino wool to flock an ark's worth of animals.. and lets not talk about fabric for upholstering furniture.. :blush:

3 people like this

10 hours ago, Samusa said:

Oh, I always go overboard with supplies

There's no such thing! You're just adding to your stash.  Some day, you will have a need, and the perfect thing will be waiting there.  

P.S.  I love making flowers and plants.  There's something very zen about it, and when you're done, you have a lovely addition to your house/room/scene.  Here is a tutorial for miniature gerbera daisies.  When I make them, I prefer to poke a hole in each flower with a pin and thread the wire through,but do whatever works easiest/best for you.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

There's no such thing! You're just adding to your stash.  Some day, you will have a need, and the perfect thing will be waiting there.  

P.S.  I love making flowers and plants.  There's something very zen about it, and when you're done, you have a lovely addition to your house/room/scene.  Here is a tutorial for miniature gerbera daisies.  When I make them, I prefer to poke a hole in each flower with a pin and thread the wire through,but do whatever works easiest/best for you.

That is a great gerbera tutorial!... They look almost... dare I say.. easy! ... Famous last words! :rofl:

1 person likes this