Crysnbon

Beulah

Go and fish that back out of the trash :D and get yourself some glue that model builders use. It's specifically for plastic.  

I once read the plastics glues are essential because they basically very slightly melt the pieces of plastic together creating a seamless bond.

Oh, no! Don't be discouraged! I just built the old-fashioned kit stove, and was having a heck of a time. I have hand tremors that sometimes make things a little difficult in miniature, and was having trouble with various glues. Like Patti, I ended up using super glue and it worked really well, made for an almost seamless seam! 

• Like 1

After you fish that stove out of the trash wash off the tacky glue.  Go out and buy a tube of Testor's model cement in the RED tube and use it in a well-ventilated area.

Image result for testors model cement for bonding plastics

I have put that particular kit together a couple of times

gallery_8_988_239687.jpglarge.P3150069.JPG.823c0232e34b65d4046ea

and will do so again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

After you fish that stove out of the trash wash off the tacky glue.  Go out and buy a tube of Testor's model cement in the RED tube and use it in a well-ventilated area.

Image result for testors model cement for bonding plastics

I have put that particular kit together a couple of times

and will do so again.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Tools-Adhesives/Liquid-Cement-with-Applicator/p/952

I have this, is the tube stuff more gel like? Is it easier to work with than the liquid?

• Like 1

The contents of the tube can be carefully applied along the edge of the part to be assembled either directly from the tube or my favorite method, s soon as I quirt a tiny bit I spread it along the edge with a toothpick and immediately press the other part to it and hold is snug for a couple of minutes to let the pieces melt together.  You would get a much finer bad using the cement in the applicator your link shows.  I used to build (and paint) plastic models and miniatures, hich is a good way to learn to control the model cement; I also learned that way to use it in a ventilated area.

• Like 2

I love Chrysnbon! I think you should hang onto it and wait for later...you'll realize how useful those kits can be later. But I totally get trashing something that isn't going well...I trashed a partially built buttercup or some small house once. I just put it in the trash can. 

• Like 1

Ok ladies, it is out of the trash, I will go to Hobby Lobby again and look for glue tomorrow.  I don't know what I would do without all of you.  When I run out of confidence you pick me up. Thanks 

• Like 2

Btw, I built a Chrysnbon stove when I was a teen for one of my first dollhouses...and I kept it to this day. It is a nice reminder of the old days when I collected minis with my mom. So they are durable (I actually used superglue!) if taken care of (it isn't for the calico critters, if you know what I mean).

• Like 1

I don't know how many of these I've built, the past few I've spray painted before I put the silver parts on, after I have the stove put together. So fun :) I'm not saying they're "fun" to build necessarily, but I know you can get through it with the right glue, they're so cute. 

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

• Like 8

oh geez your stoves are so cute, mine is a tall skinny stove, I guess more of a parlor stove.  I never thought to paint it, love the white, since the house I want it for will be mostly white. Thanks ladies 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Plus, if you get an antiquing cream, it will turn out beautiful.I've never done that but there was a stove like that at a miniature store I went to once and it was gorgeous.

I "aged" the one in the pub's kitchen by painting a light coat of flat black Rustoleum aerosol and when it was dry I drybrushed burnt sienna on it and brushed it with a little grated white chalk, then rubbed most of that off with a paper towel.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beulah said:

oh geez your stoves are so cute, mine is a tall skinny stove, I guess more of a parlor stove.  I never thought to paint it, love the white, since the house I want it for will be mostly white. Thanks ladies 

This one?

gallery_8_2918_98032.jpg

• Like 2

You can do it! Like others have said, soak off all of the tacky glue, wash it well, and try the Testor's glue. I use the one in the blue tube and it's lower odor and non-toxic. At Hobby Lobby, you'll find it in the model building section, not with all of the other glues. I built the parlor stove for the Pollock build, and it did have a bazillion tiny pieces. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Mine is Testors but it's the blue tube. What's the difference between the red and the blue? 

The blue one smells good, like lemons or something. That's what I use too and (knock on wood) have always had a pleasant experience with the Chrysnbon kits.

• Like 3

OH Ladies, I am about 1/3 done the stove, I got the red glue.  I can honestly say I will never do another one of these.  I shake too much and just can't get the hang of it.  I am going to gold plate it when it is done. 14K lol 

• Like 3