The SOGGY story of my ebay RGT Newport

1martinimomma

I purchased this Newport off ebay after seeing someone post about it in the ebay forum on the 26th of July.  It shipped out of Massachusetts on July 27 via FedEx.  It was received in on August 3rd at Missouri City, TX which is only 16 miles from my house.  And then it didn't move.  On August 9th I had them put a trace on it.  They didn't locate it until the 15th.  It sat in their facility for 11 days, obviously in flood waters.  (We had 6 inches of rain on Monday, the 7th with a lot flooding)  Here are the pictures of the box when I have received it last night.  The smaller pieces were contained in plastic bags, so they didn't have damage, but two walls and the 1st and 2nd floor both have water damage and mold.  The 1st floor is what is shown in the pictures.  I did file a claim with FedEx today.  I am fairly sure they will refund my money.  Do you think I can salvage these pieces?  Maybe, clean them with bleach water to get rid of the mold.  Right now they sitting out in the yard in the sun.  

5994ba690dce0_1stfloorofdollhousemoredam5994b78943499_1stFloorofDollhouse.thumb.

5994bab5b5906_photo2.thumb.JPG.759ea864c5994bae2ade45_photo8.thumb.JPG.83c5f72d9

5994bb0a42f4f_photo9.thumb.JPG.26145a934

LIving in New Orleans, one gets up close and personal with flood damage. You'll never get the mold out. It's lucky that it is the flat large pieces that are damaged.  I'd trace the damaged pieces and have new ones cut. 

• Like 4

I'd be careful about just having the pieces sitting out on the sun unless you have something heavy on them. Wet, then dry on wood can cause the wood to warp. There is also a mold killing paint you might be able to use. I'd take the pieces into Home Depot or a store like that and have them look at them and see if they carry a a paint that will take care of the mold.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

cause the wood to warp

Oh, oh, as I run out to the yard to get them back into the garage.  They have only been out an hour or so. I had to run the irrigation system  this morning when I left for work and I didn't put them out there to get even wetter other wise they would been out there all day, and more than likely warped and moldy!

The "mold killing" paint is to prevent mold from taking hold on wood, not for treating mold already in the wood.  I gree with Kathie (also living in a wet place); trace the pieces whilst they're still flat and have new ones cut.

19 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

What a great idea.  It looks like it covers mold.  I think I will try to clean it with bleach, and then let it dry and paint it with this.  I am just glad it's a RGT because its solid wood and it is thicker than in some other dollhouses.

Try misting the wood with Lysol. I had a mold problem on some bare wood (a wooden basket) and I misted it, let it sit then wiped with a damp cloth and the mold had not come back. The basket sits on a screened in porch in Florida. Then follow up with some Kilz.

• Like 1

I would second that , Sable is right. I worked in a UK school about 8 years ago when the city flooded. The waters were 3 feet in the school. When the waters went down and we could get in we at first thought we could salvage stuff but the health department came in tested and said no, the mold that would be in there even if we couldn't  see it was dangerous. Every single thing in that school from a pencil to a door, computer or even brass musical instruments was condemned due to the mold spores. It just ain't worth the risk .

• Like 3

Okay, I guess I will just wait to see what FedEx has to say about the claim.  I am almost sure they will cover the costs.

The emotional problem is I was already planning and dreaming what I would do with this house.  Had set up a folder for ideas and had added quite a few.   I was so excited when I bought the house.  I now have the feeling this house has a bad omen associated with it.  First it was lost, (I was sad)  then found (I was happy) and then water damage, (I was just overwhelmed).  

I might just cut new floors myself since they are relatively straight cuts.  I think I can do it with a jigsaw.  We will see....

• Like 3

I totally see your point.  I would be so discouraged also.  Don't give up.  Geez if you were closer to Dallas I would cut them for you :)   When you do get it done, whenever that may be, you can call it The Little House that almost Wasn't .  Actually I had to have pieces replaced (floors on both of my RGT the bungalow and Beachside.  I bet they would replace them for you 

Colleen, just as you got your Newport  house the forum posted another one that was seen on e bay and I got that one, it is in transit as we speak.. You just keep filling that folder and maybe when you get yourself sorted out with new bits we can do the houses together.  I won't open mine till you get yours sorted.

7 minutes ago, Sable said:

Home Depot or Lowes will cut them for you. And they have the cabinet grade Birch Plywood in stock. That's the same wood RGT uses.

I've never had any luck getting a big box hardware store to custom cut a piece. They'll do one or two cuts (max) while making a big speech about not guaranteeing the accuracy of the cut. If you think you can duplicate the pieces yourself, go for it. :) 

• Like 2

Colleen, mine should be here any day, why don't you let me make a paper template from my new parts and mail them to you,I can draw round them for you, then you wouldn't have to handle the moldy wood and there would be no risk of getting the size a bit wrong it there is a bit of swelling or warpage. It is the same house so the pieces should be identical.

• Like 1

Wow.. just Wow.. I can't believe they still delivered it. I'm with Lawanda.. make sure you get replacement value. As far as salvaging, I'd be inclined to cut new pieces also.. I'd hate for you to clean it all up, wrestle those pieces into place.. decorate and then 6 months later the mold starts seeping through your decorating.. :eek:

Thank you everyone for your helpful tips and kind words.  I really appreciate your camaraderie with my moldy dilemma.  Your support has given me hope that all is not lost. :thankyou:  

2 hours ago, Samusa said:

Wow.. just Wow.. I can't believe they still delivered it. I'm with Lawanda.. make sure you get replacement value. As far as salvaging, I'd be inclined to cut new pieces also.. I'd hate for you to clean it all up, wrestle those pieces into place.. decorate and then 6 months later the mold starts seeping through your decorating.. :eek:

I didn't think about the mold reappearing down the road.  Yes, that would definitely be even more depressing to finish the house and the mold start coming through the paint and wall paper.  I think I am just going to cut new wood because not only is there mold on the surface of the pieces, the edges have mold, black mold!

6 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Make sure you get a REPLACEMENT  cost.  Not what you paid.  Show them the RGT site and the cost to replace. There is no excuse for letting it sit.  They have shelves

Well, I guess I screwed up, because when I filed the claim I only asked for replacement value of what I paid.  Not sure if I have any recourse now.  I really should have consulted with my dollhouse friends before submitting the claim.  I may tell them the main portion of the dollhouse has been ruined and now I will have to purchase a new one from the manufacturer and here are the costs to replace.  I might try that and see what happens.

7 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I think they have a lot of nerve delivering that to your house. Why wouldn't they say "sorry your package was heavily damaged while in our care, how much do we owe you?" 

I agree, how could they not see the mold and the box was still wet.  I was flabbergasted when I drug that heavy box into the house and noticed the mildewy, moldy smell without even unwrapping the packaging. 

30 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Colleen,  black mold kills people and you don't want to keep that kit in your house.  If the moldy wood is dry, wrap it in plastic and put it in the garage

Thanks Holly, I have it out in the garage now after finding the mold when I opened it.  It's in a large garbage bag, off in a corner far away from where I park the car.

• Like 2