The SOGGY story of my ebay RGT Newport

1martinimomma

2 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:
9 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Make sure you get a REPLACEMENT  cost.  Not what you paid.  Show them the RGT site and the cost to replace. There is no excuse for letting it sit.  They have shelves

Well, I guess I screwed up, because when I filed the claim I only asked for replacement value of what I paid.  Not sure if I have any recourse now.  I really should have consulted with my dollhouse friends before submitting the claim.  I may tell them the main portion of the dollhouse has been ruined and now I will have to purchase a new one from the manufacturer and here are the costs to replace.  I might try that and see what happens.

I could be wrong but I think they will only cover replacement cost up to the declared value.

I would think pictures should be enough for FedEx, I doubt that they will expect anyone to hold on to something with a dangerous mold on for any length of time.I think it is good argument that it is dangerous and I doubt they would want it contaminating their vans etc anyway. You may be able to claim for disposing of it actually, it is all part f the mold problem.

• Like 1

I did send them a letter explaining after more research this dollhouse is too contaminated to keep.  I bought it to make an heirloom for my family, and I cannot risk the health of my family with the mold that is on the dollhouse.  I asked to be reimbursed for a new one from RGT including shipping costs.  I emailed that to them on Wednesday.  I haven't heard back from them.  They are suppose to notify me via email status on my claim, but so far, not a word.  Their site says claims are handled in 5 - 7 days.  

FedEx is really hard to deal with.  When I put the trace on the shipment, you have to call the automated phone number and it's like pulling teeth to actually get a person on the phone. Even after I got a case number and an case worker to find the shipment, you still have to go through the automated phone service, get a hold of a customer service rep, then give them the case number and then they transfer you to the case worker in charge of your case.  It's such a hassle.  Why couldn't the case worker just have a direct dial number, or at least the missing packages department have a main number.  

I did take the pieces of the dollhouse out of the box.  The ones wrapped in plastic were fine.  The pieces with mold are the 3 main floors and two other pieces that were loose in the box.   They are now sitting in the garage, and the moldy box is in a big trash bag in a corner of the garage.  

If I don't hear something back by Tuesday, which will be a week since I entered the claim, I will put on my patience hat and try to call and find out what is going on.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and kind words on my sad, soggy Newport.  I will keep you posted on the outcome of the claim.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SewMini said:

Can you contest the shipping portion of the payment with your credit card?

I bought it on ebay and paid with Paypal.  It was shipped to me with free shipping.  The seller has also put in a claim for her costs.  It cost her $64.50 to ship it.

Colleen, FedEx bought out Kinko's and they ship out packages for FedEx, at least here where I live.

Once when a package was to be delivered to me, I called the auto line to get it delivered to the Kinko's closest to me instead of the shipping center by the airport because I knew I wasn't going to be at home. I was told that the closest they could deliver was to Tacoma, about 30 miles away unless the sender specified differently, which meant I'd have to call the sender and the sender would have to call them. So much aggravation for such a little request! So I said fine, I'll try to be home. The agent called me much earlier than I expected shipment and said she was on her way and I was nowhere near home. So I asked her if she could deliver to either the FedEx shipping center at the airport or to the Kinko's nearest me. I thought she was going to tell me she'd have to go back to Tacoma, but she said the Kinko's would be no problem and dropped it off for me there.

The point I'm trying to make with this is the people you call in the auto line aren't the end all of everything that happens at FedEx. If you need to talk to someone or get a direct phone number, I suggest you go to a Kinko's in your area if you have one and talk to someone in person. It can't hurt and it may help. If nothing else, maybe they can give you a direct phone number to talk to someone so you don't have to play round robin trying to call them all the time. Make sure if someone helps you to get their name so you can deal directly with them throughout this. And see if they have a supervisor if you can't get any help. And go right up the chain of command if you have to. Sometimes that's the only way anything ever gets done.

I'm not sure I would contest the Paypal charge at this point. Whether your Paypal goes through your credit card or your bank, all that will happen is one or the other will refund or refuse the charge. That means it just goes back to the seller of the item and then she is on the hook to fight for her money. And it's not really her fault the house was damaged in shipment.But you might want to check with Paypal and see if there is any precedent for this. I imagine they have all kids of contingencies when it comes to shipping, like not receiving an item and what happens if a seller is bogus. I can't imagine they don't have some sort of scenario for this.

I don't know if this helps, but here's their address and phone number:

Paypal

Address: 2211 N 1st St, San Jose, CA 95131
Phone: (402) 935-2050

Hours:

Saturday 8AM–5PM
Sunday Closed
Monday 8AM–5PM
Tuesday 8AM–5PM
Wednesday 8AM–5PM
Thursday 8AM–5PM
Friday 8AM–5PM

It doesn't hurt to call them if you want a fast answer. All they can do is say no. I had to contact Yahoo once about my account and their call center was horrible. They ended up hanging up on me! I ended up calling Information and getting a corporate phone number of someone there, and my problem was solved. Sometimes it works.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Hi I am standing by with big strong paper to make your templates

Hi Jeannine,

I will need a template for the 1st floor and then just one of the 2nd floor because the 2nd and the 3rd floor are exactly the same.  You are such a sweetheart to do this for me.  It's interesting, that the first floor is made of thinner wood than the other two floors. So, as soon as I find out about the claim, I will need to go find some plywood the right thickness.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Colleen I picked up my house from the border today so will get your templates cut in a couple of days when I have an extra pair of hands to help me. I looked in the box expecting to find a layette with pieces but did not, just a few pages of instructions, so explain vey carefully to me. What are the pieces you want made of, I see some MDF and some plywood in the box and please look on your instructions and tell me what they call the parts you need so I send copies of the right ones.

Hi Jeannine,

I just saw your post.  I had been stuck in San Diego the first week of September.  I am finally home, but had water in one bedroom (my craft room) and my garage flooded so I have been trying to get all the mess cleaned up.  I will try and look at the instructions this weekend and let you know the piece numbers I will need.  Thanks again for your help.

No problem let me know when you are ready and don't forget to PM me your address. If I can get that ready for when I cross the border to pick up my next packets.I have a couple enroute as we speak I can mail it in the US, you will get it quicker and customs won't need to open it.