Deconstruction: What about the windows?

eamedling

My current project is repairing a very used, maybe not finished Laurel that I got for $10 on Craigslist.  One of the things I know I want to do is remove the doors, which are currently glued in place, and add hinges so they can open.  They are currently hot-glued in place, and I know that I can use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue for removal, but I'm concerned about what the heat will do to the windows in the doors themselves.  The plastic looks very thin and I don't want it melted or warped if I can help it.  Has anyone else dealt with this before?  What did you do?  Should I just plan on replacing the plastic while I have the doors out? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eamedling said:

My current project is repairing a very used, maybe not finished Laurel that I got for $10 on Craigslist.  One of the things I know I want to do is remove the doors, which are currently glued in place, and add hinges so they can open.  They are currently hot-glued in place, and I know that I can use a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue for removal, but I'm concerned about what the heat will do to the windows in the doors themselves.  The plastic looks very thin and I don't want it melted or warped if I can help it.  Has anyone else dealt with this before?  What did you do?  Should I just plan on replacing the plastic while I have the doors out? 

Maybe you could hold a folded face towel or something over the plastic while you heat with the other hand. Essentially you need to protect the plastic from the heat by covering it with something that doesn't conduct heat well.. 

Liz, I pick up 1/8" basswood sheets, molding and strip wood whenever I'm in a craft or hobby store that has them.  When I saw how my Poor Pitiful Pearl Laurel looked I decided the heck with it and let the old plastic melt and made all new windows & doors.  I didn't make those doors with the plastic insert:

med_gallery_8_1103_188519.jpgmed_gallery_8_1103_196265.jpg

but I had some clear plastic packaging that I used for the new windows:

med_gallery_8_1103_87952.jpg

• Like 1