Pottery Preferences?

Milah

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

My mother had a "thing" for Mexican terracotta ware, especially the frijole pots.

How does a frijole pot differ from a New England baked bean pot?

58 minutes ago, KathieB said:

How does a frijole pot differ from a New England baked bean pot?

The wild colors painted on the outside.  Also, she was in the habit of referring to all Mexican-style terracotta ware as "frijole" pots even when they had other uses.

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

The wild colors painted on the outside.  Also, she was in the habit of referring to all Mexican-style terracotta ware as "frijole" pots even when they had other uses.

Aha! Found one on line: see it here. Interestingly, the shape is roughly the same as the Boston bean pot, but the blurb with it says it is designed for stovetop cooking on electric or gas stoves. The Boston bean pots are designed for baking in the oven, not for use on the stovetop. 

4 hours ago, Anna said:

I have been looking for something like this for a long time, it is what I believe a very Nordic/Scandinavian kind of Pottery.

Anna, those look like they'd be a relatively simple design to create. I've never really looked into Nordic pottery. The colors keep making me think 'pueblo', but the design certainly isn't. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I just stumbled across you and I would be very interested in seeing your work.  Unfortunately your links no longer work.  You have made enough posts to where you could start an album here.  

46 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I just stumbled across you and I would be very interested in seeing your work.  Unfortunately your links no longer work.  You have made enough posts to where you could start an album here.  

Oh, I did let my website plan lapse, yes. I have a bunch of pieces up on Instagram (cheaper than web hosting, for sure), and I'll look into creating an album! Thanks! The original topic still stands, if you have any particular styles you think would be of interest to the dollhouse community.

Thank you! Yup, baked polymer clay and sealed with varnish (so far I've used glossy varnish, but I'll probably be using Liquitex Matte medium/varnish for some that might not look as good glossy).

At the risk of being too ambitious, I am currently taking a ceramics class and told my instructor I might like to make a few things for my Orchid (hand-building, not throwing though I admit I'm curious). He said it was possible, but difficult!

I have some 1:12 wood bowls, plates, and buckets to use as molds. I figure I could start simple and see if I can make some mini-ceramics! :) 

6 hours ago, third_hand said:

At the risk of being too ambitious, I am currently taking a ceramics class and told my instructor I might like to make a few things for my Orchid (hand-building, not throwing though I admit I'm curious). He said it was possible, but difficult!

I have some 1:12 wood bowls, plates, and buckets to use as molds. I figure I could start simple and see if I can make some mini-ceramics! :) 

Oh, I'd love to work with real clay! If I had a studio to use near me that wasn't just 'project classes'... Someday. Let me know how that goes, and take pictures! I've seen them made with the wheel, but not handbuilding, especially that small!

• Like 1

The hubs & I are planning a day in Mobile today to find the Mobile Museum of Art, and I noticed on their website that they offer beginner classes for wheel-thrown pottery.  You might check out your local art museum or sometimes if there's a school for the arts handy they will also offer classes.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Milah said:

Oh, I'd love to work with real clay! If I had a studio to use near me that wasn't just 'project classes'... Someday. Let me know how that goes, and take pictures! I've seen them made with the wheel, but not handbuilding, especially that small!

I think the handbuilding is only going to work because I'm molding/casting, :rolleyes:. I'm sure more dexterous, skilled folks could happily handbuild freely. I shall certainly share photos, either of funny errors or fortunate successes!

12 hours ago, KathieB said:

It won't be difficult once you get the hang of it. I love miniature pottery (enough to make a pottery shop).

Oh, those are lovely! About what size do your little pieces measure? I love the atmosphere you created. And the kiln!

43 minutes ago, third_hand said:

I think the handbuilding is only going to work because I'm molding/casting, :rolleyes:. I'm sure more dexterous, skilled folks could happily handbuild freely. I shall certainly share photos, either of funny errors or fortunate successes!

I'm using molds too, though perhaps in an unconventional way. I could make a pottery form by handbuilding alone, maybe, but with polymer clay there's not an easy way to keep it smooth and from distorting as I work it (not if I want to keep it hollow). Well, I've been coming up with new techniques for months now. It's funny because it would all be so much easier with clay that would harden as I worked, and I could sand, but I'm putting in way extra work by using polymer clay. But I kind of consider it a personal challenge by this point.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The hubs & I are planning a day in Mobile today to find the Mobile Museum of Art, and I noticed on their website that they offer beginner classes for wheel-thrown pottery.  You might check out your local art museum or sometimes if there's a school for the arts handy they will also offer classes.

There are a few pottery classes offered around, but they're for 'classes', where you come in for 2 hours and make mugs or whatever. I need free studio time, preferably on the weekend. Also they're crazy expensive! My city's community college offers weekday evening classes, so I'll probably take those eventually, though it's further than I'd like for an evening classs. Well, needs must.

On 4/24/2018, 12:27:27, third_hand said:

10 hours ago, third_hand said:

Woah, Kathie! You made all those!? I'm very impressed. I only hope I can be as successful! :) 

No, no ... I didn't make any of them! Sorry if I gave that impression. All were purchased in various places, wherever I found them on sale. I was a collector, not a manufacturer.

10 hours ago, Milah said:

Oh, those are lovely! About what size do your little pieces measure? I love the atmosphere you created. And the kiln!

Thanks for the kind words. :) The pots average about an inch. The ones that look like raw clay (in the kiln) were fired pots that I coated with gesso. The kiln was made from paper clay. It developed cracks while curing, which my husband the ceramics professor said happened in real life brick kilns, so the repairs are very realistic. By the way, I kept after him to make some mini pots, but he never did.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I don't know why, but I keep looking for a mini hens&biddies pot.

I googled hens and chicks pot. What came up were basic strawberry pots. I have one of those in miniature. Don't recall where I got it, sorry.

On 8/19/2017, 7:02:42, Milah said:

My passion is creating mini ceramics, often with somewhat intricate designs. 

The issue I think I'm going to come across is making them small enough Looking around other sites like Etsy it seems they max at 1 inch.

Styles! What styles are you personally interested in? 

Kelly, I was looking through your examples on instagram and these were my 2 favs. 

If you were looking for a challenge, I would love to see some Art Deco inspired pieces.  Perhaps a plate and vase similar to the ones pictured.  My next project is going to have a bit of art deco touches to it  

You won’t hurt my feelings if this is something you don’t have time for...just throwing it out there. 

AE7CDB81-AC06-4C6A-8D36-1EBE4E61CC83.jpeg

0D29CA54-AD7F-47D6-935B-B5D4187CB654.jpeg