New to doll house construction

Hello all, I am a newby to constructing doll houses, but I am hoping that some of my father's talent with making furniture has rubbed off on me, although it has been many years since he died.  I live in the Spanaway/Fredrickson area in the state of Washington, and have 3 dogs, 2 cats, which I figure are probably going to get in the way since they do like getting attention. I am also working so this doll house will be something I will be working on when I have the free time to do it. Oh, I almost forgot to add that I am starting this new hobby with the Arthur doll house kit. I like to crochet, usually for my family, and already have a couple of things I was asked to make for my grandkids for Christmas.

Initially, I told myself that I bought this kit to make for my grand daughter, but if I am truthful about it, I wanted it for myself because I have always been fascinated with doll houses, but never had one of my own. She will end up with it eventually after I have had some fun with it first, because I really wanted one of the other models, but figured I'd start with an easier model. I also have plans to make a doll house from scratch, after I get a little more experience with their construction. The only thing I have actually made out of wood for decoration is a gnome door for my front porch, and it didn't turn out bad if I do say so myself.

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Bonnie.  The Arthur was the first kit the Building Team blogged, and it was a lot of fun.  I have a 1:24 version in my stash I will build eventually.  If you do build it for a grandchild to play with I recommend not installing the gingerbread roof trim; one of my daughters-in-law asked for the one I built and her nephew managed to remove the finials (which I reglued the next time I visited) and her niece tossed the bath fixtures I'd made from seashells & barnacles, so if a dollhouse is going to a child to play with I leave out the things they're likely to break off or have their own ideas about.

Welcome, the Arthur is a cute house, I think it's one of the better cottages for turning it into a Christmas house...not that you're interested in that but that's what I think of when I see the Arthur. Try a google images search for Arthur dollhouse pictures if you need any inspiration, google images or Pinterest...I prefer google images. Anyway, have fun :) 

One of the first houses I built almost 30 years ago was a 1:12 Arthur for my oldest daughter and granddaughter. That one was a "traditional" build using all the gingerbread, etc. Sadly, I have no photos of that house.

More recently I built a 1:24 Arthur that I slightly bashed. You can see my album for it here. I like the Arthur a lot. I think it's a great cottage and a fairly straightforward build. Have fun! And I think it's great you are building it for yourself! :D 

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=7461

• 3 weeks later...