Bookboxes

Sable

I'm off to pick up a pristine set of free 1963 Encyclopedia Britannica. A member of my club makes and sells wonderful Bookboxes and my husband always wanted one made up as an elegant office space. I will have her cut them out but I will finish the interior. Here is a sample of her work:

http://www.shannonsminis.com/avboxes.html

• Like 1

Did I write pristine?  The books are but they are musty smelling. What has worked for me in the past is to freeze them for a few days in the garage freezer and then lay them out in the sun. Hopefully this will take care of the smell. If not, they are trash. It's a beautiful set though. 

My son helped me carry them. I told him that these were the first Google. Opened a few up and they have marvelous inserts. The velum anatomy inserts blew him away.

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Did I write pristine?  The books are but they are musty smelling. What has worked for me in the past is to freeze them for a few days in the garage freezer and then lay them out in the sun. Hopefully this will take care of the smell. If not, they are trash. It's a beautiful set though. 

My son helped me carry them. I told him that these were the first Google. Opened a few up and they have marvelous inserts. The velum anatomy inserts blew him away.

Do not trash them until you have set them for a few days in a plastic bag with a couple of scoops of activated charcoal from the aquarium section of your local big box pet shop.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

And read them first.

( lol )

That is hysterical! When I was young my mother would buy the World Book Encyclopedia from the grocery store, we couldn't afford the Britannicas. I used them for every research paper. I was always reading them. Nothing like these Britannicas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sable said:

That is hysterical! When I was young my mother would buy the World Book Encyclopedia from the grocery store, we couldn't afford the Brittanicas. I used them for every research paper. I was always reading them. Nothing like these Brittanicas. 

Same here! World book all the way!

Our encyclopedia subscription was purchased from one of the high school teachers who was moonlighting. I don't recall which encyclopedia it was. I also don't recall opening them very often. They were wonderful for the base of the walls when we took all of Mom's hardback books off the shelves to build a fort in the middle of the living room on rainy days. We didn't have much disposable income available for books. I think Mom subscribed to the encyclopedias for us kids in an effort to justify her own book club memberships. 

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica from 1903. They were my grandfather's and I wouldn't cut them up for anything!  I still take them out and read them once in a while.  It is interesting to see what they thought of the world back then.

If I ever run across newer ones I would like to try a room box. Until then, I will just be satisfied to snuggle up with my cat and read the old ones. G

• Like 2

I once bought a set of children's books from the fifties as part of a baby shower present.  They were incredibly musty, and I tried the sunlight, airing them out, etc.  Finally I put them into a large plastic tote, with a big bowl of baking soda.  It's important that the container you use is airtight.  The tote had a snugly fitted lid.  I stood the books on end, with their pages somewhat open.  Every day I stirred the soda in the bowl, and every few days I replaced it with fresh baking soda.  I made the mistake of sniffing an old bowl - and got a noseful of concentrated MUSTY for my trouble!  It worked beautifully.  The books were fresh and clean-smelling, in under two weeks!

• Like 2