Gulf Coast Friends

Beulah

San Antonio is bracing to shelter the coastal evacuees. Your daughter ought to be okay. Not to mention that if she leaves now, she'd be driving through the storm to get to you. I am fearful for the fate of the blockheaded residents who are choosing to remain '"because we want to see what happens to our homes and we know it will take a long time for us to get back if we evacuate." The spectre of escalating fatality numbers is scary.

Edit: I just saw that San Antonio is within the head of the hurricane "cone". Still, damage won't be anywhere near what is hitting the coast.

• Like 2

What worries me the most is the downplay of the winds and the damage brought on by them. A Cat 3 storm with an eye as large as this one is going to have some terribly strong winds far inland for an enormous amount of time. Hurricane Wilma was a Cat3. I took a direct hit from both the east and west  eye walls. That storm lasted about 3 hours and came inland 100 miles before it hit us. And the amount of damage it caused to roofs, Windows, trees, cars.....was awful and that was only 3 hours. I can't begin to imagine what 20+ hours worth of wind damage will cause further in inland Texas.

When Harvey made landfall it was a Cat 4, and has "weakened" to a Cat 2.  2'-3' of forecast rain is knee-high to waist-deep on me.  Our hurricane evacuation plan includes gas for the generator, closing down the Bahama shutters on all the windows and finally hitching up the camper and heading north to the first campground with room.

I am from Houston, but have been spending time on a planned trip to San Diego to visit from son and his family.  I have been stuck here since Monday.  Going home hopefully Friday.  All flights were cancelled until Thursday.  I feel somewhat guilty spending time in sunny southern CA while my town is drowning in water.  I have been able to watch the local news about what is going on.  I will tell you it's far worse than what you see on national TV.  I am not sure how long it will take Houston to recover from this.  It's just heart breaking to see all the people suffering and their homes affected by this disaster.  Please keep Houston in your prayers.

My home did not flood, my car was parked on the 3rd floor parking garage, and my sweet dog is with the neighbors being spoiled since no one can go outside.  So, I feel blessed. Hope to get back into the groove of real life soon.

• Like 1

Glad you and your home are safe. My in-laws live in Houston. MIL is staying with SIL, and as of yesterday the water was at her driveway. SIL house is still good, and she said today she is able to see her street. They are going to try and check on her moms house again tomorrow. But like all that wasn't bad enough, Thursday my BIL was admitted to the hospital, had minor surgery Friday, and was supposed to have more major surgery yesterday, but that has been postponed for now. So at least he's not considered an emergency case, but he's not able to be home with his family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparklepuppies said:

BIL was admitted to the hospital, had minor surgery Friday,

I so hope things get back to a somewhat normal pace so that your BIL can be taken care properly.  I know the hospitals are having a rough time.  Ben Taub, one of the only two trauma centers we have in town went down for a couple days, and the West Houston Hospital went down after the Barker Cypress reservoir topped it's banks and they had to release water because of fear of levee failure.  It's amazing that a city, the 4th largest in the US, with 6.5 million people can be brought to their knees by water.  God certainly works in mysterious ways, and we should never take our lives and those that we love for granted. 

So glad to hear your house and your doggy are safe Colleen. What a nightmare for you and your family. I hope it all works out for you and you return safe and high and dry. I've been watching CNN and it's round the clock coverage over here. I lived in the US when Katrina hit and it feels a bit like dejavu. :(

'Way over on the East next to Pensacola we are being hammered with rain for the next two days, and flash flood warnings have been posted through tomorrow for the coast, including three FL panhandle counties.

12 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I am from Houston, but have been spending time on a planned trip to San Diego to visit from son and his family.  I have been stuck here since Monday.  Going home hopefully Friday.  All flights were cancelled until Thursday.  I feel somewhat guilty spending time in sunny southern CA while my town is drowning in water.  I have been able to watch the local news about what is going on.  I will tell you it's far worse than what you see on national TV.  I am not sure how long it will take Houston to recover from this.  It's just heart breaking to see all the people suffering and their homes affected by this disaster.  Please keep Houston in your prayers.

My home did not flood, my car was parked on the 3rd floor parking garage, and my sweet dog is with the neighbors being spoiled since no one can go outside.  So, I feel blessed. Hope to get back into the groove of real life soon.

That is good to hear.  My daughter has started a donation collection, we sorted it all out and it heads out this morning.  I could not believe how much it all doubled in just 2 hours.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Be safe Holly. And Kathie, if you are reading.

Here in Atlanta we will be getting the outer edge starting in an hour or so. I don't think we're expecting anything other than a lot of rain.

Joanne, what a nice thing to do. :)

I drove to Atlanta from NOLA yesterday. Steady rain all the way to Talladega. Not a fun drive. Raining now in Powder Springs. Four houses in the back of the car, waiting for rain to stop to transfer to storage. Or, with the closing on the house tomorrow, maybe just leave them in the car and move them into the new house tomorrow. 

• Like 3