New Guy with Beacon Hill Question

Gpcooke

Hi,

I just breezed through some of the Beacon Hill posts and am glad to know there are others who have had 'learning experiences' with this model. Maybe someone here can help me have one of my own... I am currently working on the window trim for the 5 bay windows (Instruction R. Front and Left Bay Windows). The instruction sheet (R.1) indicates that the 5 sheets 22 contain two exterior bay window trim pieces and one interior. 

Instruction R.5 says to “Preassemble the Exterior Trim centering the pieces with the wider opening on the part with the narrower opening.”

However all 10 exterior trim pieces are the same size. If I preassemble these, there will be no relief on the exterior bay window trim, which will detract significantly from these wonderful features of the house. 

I assume this is a cutting error on my particular kit. Please tell me if this is characteristic of all of these kits, what a workaround might be or how I can replace these five sheets 22 with those which are correctly cut.

Thanks for your help,

Greg Cooke
Centennial, CO

I haven't done the Beacon Hill, but I have done bay windows and usually the bay window interior trims are slightly smaller than the exterior trims.  I never preassemble or attach any window parts until I have dry fit the carcase and sanded, primed & painted or stained the trims and done any interior and exterior wall treatments before I install windows or doors o anything with a clear acetate insert.  If all of your bay window trims are exactly the same size once you have them all punched out you can always pair them up and sand the outer edges of half of the trims down to make them interior trims.  I'm sure the Beacon Hill builders will be happy to weigh in to address your concerns.

Another thing I do with bays is to take bamboo skewers and cut them to length to fit between the exterior trims and then spackle around them to make the corners not look "pieced"

installing the sreen porch.jpg

• Like 1