Have no idea what I am doing but that never stopped me before

Keeper

Hello from Canada - My husband gave me an unfinished doll house 10 years ago and my excuse for not working on it has always been 'just too busy at work'. Now I am no longer working and bored silly so it has come down to working on this doll house which came with zero instructions. Don't get me wrong, I am excited to start working on this but I have no idea what to do first.  The house is put together so it is the finishing and decorating I need to complete. It hasn't been under cover so it is a little dusty and will require some clean up.  I should add I am creatively challenged but I am open to learning.  On the positive side, I am project driven and pretty determined to complete this one.  This house is a little unique with two front entrances, one leading into a single room with a bay window and the adjacent entrance leads to a stairway going upstairs. It is three stories, the roof lifts up and the front opens out.   I thought the downstairs with the bay window could be a shop of some sort and the upstairs could be a living area for a small family - no pun intended.  Also, I have a 3 year old grand daughter and I would like this house to be friendly to her under supervision, of course. Lastly, back to the not working so limited income for now so would like this project to be cash friendly.  I am looking forward to getting started and thought being part of this forum would be a good first step. Lastly, I don't know the maker of this doll house. I think knowing that could be helpful.  I haven't been able to find any pics on pintrest of similar houses.   

Edited by Keeper
grammer

Welcome.  It sounds like you already have some ideas for your house. If you browse through the member's gallery you will find a lot of inspiration and ideas.  After you have made 5 posts (I think it's 5) you will be able to load photos for help in identifying your house.   Can't wait to see what you do with your house.

Thanks so much, pgwyn.  I will check out the gallery and post a pic of the house, as it is, when I am approved.  My husband thinks I should make the downstairs into a pub.  Lovely idea but not sure if it would be approved by the 3 year old parents.  LOL.  Don't think he understands the term 'child friendly'.  I think this little house will tell us what it wants to be.  We shall see.

Welcome to the little family (pun intended), Deborah.  The house will certainly tell you what it wants to be.  There is no challenge to creativity once you learn that most effects are achieved with smoke & mirrors.  My Glencroft is a pub; I play with it.  Actually I play with all of my houses.  If a child were to play with any of them I would first remove anything irreplaceable or irreparable.

I reported the duplicate post.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, Deborah. I started this obsession... I  mean hobby... after we emptied the nest. I finally had time to spend on something I was interested in. There are many things you can do/make that do not cost anything but - fair warning! -you may get overly focused on how to turn packaging items and other odds & ends into miniature treasures. There are many, many websites and youtube tutorials out there for reference, as well as this forum.