Introductions + Getting Started

JAleksy

Hi all! I'm brand new to the forums - and to minus in general! I'm a Northeast-to-Pacific-Northwest-Transplant, FT working mom to a 2.5 yr old girl, wife of a very handy moto-building dude, and longtime lover of all things design and intracacy... so it's no surprise that when our little one started showing serious interest in doll houses, I jumped right into the deep end.

Luckily, I found @elsbeth on here to help guide through the chaos. After much discussion, the hubby and I decided to purchase a fixer-upper that we could rehab *slowly* while the kiddo gets to enjoy it... that way, when the inevitable toddler breaks happen, it'll just get added to the long term to do list.

So we've got a massive dollhouse in the (motorcycle) shop - PICS ATTACHED - and a wishlist of plans for it. At the top of the list is:

-Reglue/touch ups to exterior (but it seems to be in good, sturdy shape!)

-Stripping of interior components that aren't salvageable (or, some flooring and wallpaper)

-Replacement of stripped items... properly!... so that it will withstand at least a few years of toddler play.

-Purchase of some"starter" furniture pieces and doll set for the big reveal this holiday!!

Of course, I've got some nagging questions that need answering in order to get going, so I'm sure I'll be on here a lot to learn. But most importantly: DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS HOUSE? The previous owner knew nothing about its life thus far, but I'd love to start researching original plans/pieces if they exist. Lay it on me folks - what have I gotten myself into?!??!? :) TIA and looking forward to getting to know you all!10100579569959127

https://www.facebook.com/jessica.e.m.aleksy/posts/10100579569959127

• Like 1

I have asked this topic be moved to the Newcomers' Forum, but as it I also your first (of probably many, once you get started down the path of repairing, making and collecting miniatures)  it may get left here, so welcome to the little family.  As has been mentioned, that house is the Dura-Craft Cambridge, and Dura-Craft went out of business many years ago.  It is also the second dollhouse kit I ever built; I have since given it to the granddaughter of my neighbor across the street.  Your little girl will likely poke the plastic inserts out of the windows as she plays with it, at least until she is older, so you might consider removing them for now; and for a 2.5-3 year old child I would invest in the really sturdy Melissa & Doug furniture & dolls and save the fancier stuff for later.

Wow- that is a great house!  And it looks like it is in pretty good shape, so the rehab should (hopefully) go relatively smoothly.  :) 

I would agree to using Melissa & Doug furniture,  or even Fisher-Price Loving Family dolls and furniture for your toddler. 

oh- and to make things REALLY easy....I sometimes simply paint the rooms in a house meant for small children and save the wallpapering for when they are older.  Dura Craft walls are usually not too bad, but if the wood has lots of pits/imperfections you can do a skim coat of spackle on them.  Sand smooth and it makes a lovely surface for paint. I have one of those 'mouse' hand sanders that works great for this!

oh- and do stain, paint or simply put a sealer on those shingles.  It will keep them from becoming dried out and brittle over the years.  But first clean off the dust using an old soft paintbrush (work from the top downward) and then go over it with a vacuum cleaner brush attachment.

Have fun & we look forward to seeing the transformation!

• Like 1

My preschooler has enjoyed some of the Calico Critters furniture sets. If your child is still into putting stuff into their mouths, then remove all the little bowls and cute stuff before someone sticks a tiny fork or teacup up their nose. Yes it happens.

Scale is not a priority at the moment for my daughter - she mixes scales and we have some Barbie food in the kitchen that is definitely large, but she likes it. So do the current residents - Peppa Pig&Family. I wish someone made Madeline dolls in 1:12 scale or 1:16 - that'd be nice in a kids house.

She has always loved the stairs (Peppa goes down those stairs!) and any tiny door that opens and shuts. Also, decorating for Christmas is a HUGE deal. And a lot of fun. She loves her tiny christmas tree.

I have gotten some good stuff at Good Will and Ebay - like large lots of used Playmobil furniture. Great for playing. 

• 2 weeks later...