Help building the house (Orchid)

1 hour ago, L Swearengin said:

Check out "more minis blogs.   It's not a veido but detailed.  I am a visual person a also, but read and re-read the instructions,  the believe it or not a light will suddenly come on.  Dry fitting makes a big difference.   Have lots if painters tape on hand

Can you attach the link to the blog? It Makes it easier for a new person. Thanks

16 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Sorry,  I can't do it on my phone.  She has moved her blogs to facebook.

I've been trying to use her FB site. The problem is you have to flip through hundreds of posts until you get to February 2016 until you get to the Orchid. Search will not give it to you. Her site needs direct links to her houses.

Chat, if English isn't your first language the instructions can be difficult to understand.  I never put the windows in until after I have finished painting and putting on wallpaper and siding, and I also sand the edges and paint or stain the wood parts of the windows, so I don't ruin the clear plastic parts.  I also leave off the windows and doors if a very young child is going to play with the house.

• Like 1

What Holly said - sand and primer are your friend. Sand every edge to make it easier to assemble with glue. Stain everything that will have a wood look and I use white Kilz primer on everything that will be wallpapered or painted. It protects the wood and makes paint lay better and not absorb. DO NOT use hot glue for assembly. Everyone has their go to glue, mine is Gorilla wood glue. You can use painters tape to hold pieces while they set. I only ever used hot glue for shingles. 

After sanding, a wise idea is to dry fit everything. Sounds like an extra step that would be easy to skip, but it really gives you a good idea of what goes where. Not only does it help navigate and assure everything fits, but it will actually help make the assembly directions a little clearer to read. I know I end up reading every direction a hundred times. Dollhouses and costume patterns do that to me...first read through is always greek.. and if something is especially trying to understand, as lighting was for me, look it up on youtube. Its amazing how many tutorial videos are available for all sorts of specific steps. You may even find a video or blog specifically building the Orchid. And of course everyone here is incredibly helpful if you get tripped up along the way. And I love love love scrapbook paper for wallpaper, found at craft stores, and upholstery fabric makes great carpets!

My go-to primer is flat white emulsion (interior latex) paint because of the soap & water clean up.  Old clean sweatshirt and felt also make lovely carpets and old wide polyester neckties are great for upholstering mini furniture, once your little one gets big enough for lovely scale furniture.

I merged the two threads on this topic and moved them into the Corona Concepts forum since this thread is specific to building the Orchid (a Corona Concepts dollhouse).

Here are my own blog posts about the Orchid: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?tag=corona-concepts-orchid (they go from newest to oldest, so start reading at the bottom)

This was the first dollhouse I built, and I had some trouble with the instructions too. A lot of people on this forum have built the Orchid over the years. When you get stuck on a specific part, tell us what you're confused about and someone will probably be able to help.

Good luck!