How Many Builds Do You Have Going On At Once?

madtex1967

So, I am really itching to get started on the Vineyard Cottage.  I want to use one of my spiral staircases in it, and see so many possibilites.  But I keep telling myself I need to be closer to being done with the Cape May. 

So it make me think, how many builds do you all have going at once?  :hmm:

I know my friends are going to think I am crazy to start another one with the Cape May not finished. :dunce::bangin:

• Like 2

I'm about 15% into a Marquam hill mansion, decided to stop to finish my small dura craft Tudor cottage. I'm itching to start a Christmas cottage, I already have one,a jasmine lasercutdesigns but I've never liked it, I want something much smaller that I can bring out seasonally and put anywhere. I've got a Canterbury in my stash that would b perfect. So I guess I have several on my work table and several in my head. I understand the hesitation, the mess alone from one house is bad enough..for two or more..yikes. 

Honestly if you feel the need to put one aside for another I feel like it always works out that there was a reason for it. Like some new skill or new idea that will come to you and everything will work out for the best. Without going into detail I know that this is what happened with the stall out on my MHM. Something recently came into my hands that will help me massively with that build. If I had forged on ahead with it months ago I wouldnt have had the chance to use this new knowledge. 

One of my problems is the seasons. In the lead up to Fall I want to work on something witchy or haunted, in the lead up to Spring I want to make flowers and do a spring cottage, etc, etc. This really derails me sometimes. 

• Like 2

As I get to the point where the only things left require a lot of waiting for glue and paint (touch up) to dry, my interest wanes and I start the next one. I will admit that sometimes it makes it harder to finish up those last little things because my energy shifts to the next house. However, it's true - for me - that a break from one house helps to work through a creative block and listen to what the house wants, and hopefully, my skills have improved during the break.

I say go with whatever strikes your fancy at the time.  It's never fun when working on your house feels like a chore.  Switching between projects keeps it interesting.  I am in the middle of a rough rehab and switching to put finishing touches on my other house is a welcome break.  And I find myself on the computer looking for my next  Project before this one is done.  

• Like 1

ooo I thought it was a contest:eekout:

I like to work seasonally as well and I tend to have 2 big things going on and several small things all at once...but I dont usually start another structure unless the one already going has a place to be while it waits.

• Like 1

Umm... not certain I should answer this -- but just thinking right off... right now I believe I have 8 currently in the works. A couple that are large, and honestly if I feel like I'm getting stuck on an aspect of a build, I love the option to work on one of my smaller builds or rehabs. I've never been one to be able to work on just one, and don't honestly know how folks manage it! lol

• Like 4

I've been inventorying my craft stashes lately.

Ummm .. Sad to confess, I have 16 builds in varying stages of doneness (is that even a word?). Some have been dismantled and are laying flat so they won't warp.Hopefully I don't discover too many others hiding in unlikely places.

Twinkle also has several in varying stages as well as Wisteria. It must be contagious.

So far in my unopened kit stash, I'm creeping upwards towards the fifty count at the moment. They keep popping out from somewhere like popcorn flying out of a hot air popper. It's kind of scary. I've even found I have 5 quarter scale village sets - all different. ... sigh ....

I'll never live long enough to complete them.

2 hours ago, nuttiwebgal said:

ooo I thought it was a contest:eekout:

I like this explanation Nutti. It makes it sounds so much nicer than just plain greed or addiction.

• Like 3

I can only do one at a time.  Hubby built a nice work bench for me, but it always seems full of "stuff", to the point only one house will fit at a time.  I still have the Tennyson bash sitting in the back room.  It stopped talking to me halfway through the build, so it sits.   Maybe after the move it will call to me a again. 

• Like 1

My pea brain can only seem to handle one at a time lol. I got my Glenwood yesterday for my anniversary.  I am going away for a couple of weeks soon so I will hold back starting it till I get home.  I already got the little needle felted mouse from a lady in Russia who will be living in it. lol 

• Like 3

Yes, please, Joanne!  Let's see the mouse.

I try to keep it to one build at a time.  I'm afraid that if I start a new one, I'll never get back to the one I had been working on, and I'll just have a bunch of unfinished houses sitting around.  That doesn't stop me from thinking about or planning the next build, or making things for it, and I don't object to working on a small project, like  a room box, in the middle of a larger build.  Also, I admit, the Fairfield isn't truly finished, although I moved on to the Merrimack.  It still needs more accessories, and the bathroom isn't really done, but the structure is complete,  I honestly think I'm more of a twentieth century girl when it comes to doll houses.  I had to force myself to work on something Victorian.  

• Like 1

Matt I have two going on "actively" after much consternation. I am really happy I decided to make room for another. Now when I get an idea that I am excited about, it doesn't have to sit there for six months. My attention span is often not that long. One is a whimsical Sweet Christmas Cottage (Dura-Craft Columbian) and the other is a project where I push my skill level and end up re-doing things as I learn or get braver along the way (New Orleans kit with loads of structural changes). I encourage you to start the new one. Sometimes us creative types just get board and need fresh blood. That helps us from rushing through and short changing project #1 just so we can get to project #2.

Swooning over your mouse...she's really going to need some friends tho :) 

Jodi, I didn't know you were building a Christmas cottage from the Colombian. I was going to do mine in the Colombian too, have the plans sitting right here...then decided it was too similar in shape and size (on the interior) to the DC Tudor I've been working on (and off) for four years so I thought I would do a different house. Looking fw to seeing yours now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

Swooning over your mouse...she's really going to need some friends tho :) 

Jodi, I didn't know you were building a Christmas cottage from the Colombian. I was going to do mine in the Colombian too, have the plans sitting right here...then decided it was too similar in shape and size (on the interior) to the DC Tudor I've been working on (and off) for four years so I thought I would do a different house. Looking fw to seeing yours now. 

That's so funny, Karin! My idea started out as a simple advent calendar with a scene in the middle, but soon the ideas and Christmas treasures grew too large. The Columbian is a wonderful little kit and I think the perfect size.

I am finishing up the remaining kitchen projects this weekend, but you can see the progress so far on my blog if you are interested:

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/search/label/Sweet%20Christmas%20Cottage

Can't wait to see what you do! Your builds are always so magical! :O)

• Like 2

Wow Jodi you've really gone to town on it, can't believe how many pieces you managed to fit into the kitchen and it doesn't look crowded at all. You really are the kit Queen :) 

i probably won't get mine done this year in time for the Holidays but I am going to make my Mrs. Claus very soon. Makes it so much funner to have a figure in the house. Love your doll, Heidi Ott? 

I work on only one client rehab house at a time, but I've got 3 small projects of my own that I "pick at" when I am waiting for glue or paint to dry on the rehab.  Once the current rehab house is finished (which should be soon, I hope!) I want to get these little room boxes finished before moving on to the next client job.  It will be nice to work on something for myself during the winter!  :)