Looking for opinions...chair fabric

WyckedWood

I just finished reupholstering one chair and chose a plum fabric, I'll share a picture later. 

I was not planning on doing this chair because it's so well built and the fabric is on there very tight. My skills in this area are marginally passable but it won't look as professional as it does now. But. That fabric really isn't doing anything for me, or the room it's in. And this is a fairly common chair that I've seen in other dollhouses with that same fabric. So I'm leaning toward going ahead and doing it, I've got these fabric choices for runner ups. I'm thinking green but also like the brown. Just looking for thoughts or if I should even attempt it...I would change the skirt shape a little too and possibly raise the chair height. That's what I did with the one I just finished. The colors in the room/house are earthy with accents of plum and yellow. Thank u for your thoughts! 

IMG_4113.JPG

• Like 1

Here's more of the room for an idea of colors Im already using and the plum chair I finished today and made some accent pillows.  The plum adds a color pop that was really missing in this earthy room. You can see in this photo how the beige fabric is kind of blasé in the room. 

IMG_4115.JPG

On the plum chair, this is the original but I added a different skirt I made on the one inch pretty pleater and added maybe 1/2 inch of height. Then the blue floral was the original fabric I pulled. It's a neat chair, I love the way it leans back but unlike the chair I'm thinking of recovering it wasn't very well upholstered, glue marks, a little dirty etc. 

IMG_4116.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

Just an overall to get an idea of other colors being used, upstairs bedding looks a little red in this horrible light in my workroom but it's plum and accent chair is butter yellow. 

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4125.JPG

I love your plum chair and think your upholstering skills are spot on.  I agree with kathie, I think the one on the right would look good.  You are an amazing decorator so I say go with your gut. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts! Really appreciate it. 

Another thing I'm pondering and I might as well add it to this post since I've got all of the pictures up....curtains? Yes or no? What about a tiny curtain pulled back on the window on the front door. I feel like that might give a really cozy feel. Upstairs I think it might be possible to do a very light weight (silk?) curtain and keep it from detracting from all the work I did on the windows. Keep it off to the side. Maybe? The bay downstairs could technically have a valance. Maybe even giving the illusion that window is taller and somewhat eliminating dead space above the window. I'd appreciate any opinions. 

I actually like the fabric already on the chair.. but if you feel you needs something punchier I also like the dark blue(?) in the bottom left corner though it may be a bit masculine for Gertie. :)

I thought the green at first but agree it may clash with the rug. Looking at the rug I think I'd be inclined to try to find a fabric with a peach background.. something to coordinate with the dusty pink in the flowers. Or maybe a softer more feminine blue than the navy's you have.

I'm sure what ever you choose will be wonderful.. trust yourself! You have wonderful style. :)

I'm not really a fan of curtains but a tiny curtain for the front door window sounds cute. I also like Shannon's plate idea.

I was thinking the green picked up the background of the rug.  I also like the tan.  I did lace panels in the Coventry Cottage's bay, and also the McKinley, but I don't really like them for the Tudor styles; I do think if Gertie's the type, though, go for it.  I would probably put one over the door's little window.  I realize, on second & longer look, that yours isn't the Glencroft, but it's still interesting how they seen to want stone floors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Samusa said:

Looking at the rug I think I'd be inclined to try to find a fabric with a peach background..

I love peach and plum together (the colors, although I like the fruits together, too).  Of the existing fabrics, I also would go with the tan.  I'm hesitant about curtains, because your windows are so lovely, but a little curtain on the front door would be good.  I also like the idea of the plate rail with plates.  I have to admit, I was very confused initially.  You recovered the plum chair, yes?  And you call that "marginally passable skills"?   Um, no.  :)  You did a very beautiful, professional job.  And the pillow that goes with it is perfect.

• Like 1

I think what you have on looks good...I thought it looked good were the plum chair is.The plum chair makes the corner look dark,were if you put the other chair there it's a lighter color,it brightens up that corner. I think what Shannon said about the plates above the Windows  (with those roses) would look good....

The other chair has a higher back so it will cover a little more of the wall there..... And maybe a little somethin on the door and bedroom window......      you make great decisions !!!

• Like 2

Ok thank you, all of these comments are so helpful. There's a reason the chairs that I make go in the back shadowy corners of the room though Lol! Maybe in a few weeks I'll pull it out and decide it's not so bad lol. 

And side note thank you Deborah, I filled the chair seat and the pillows with sand from the Oregon coast, my old home. 

Ive been slowly collecting silk remnants for future dolls. I had some peach taffeta I put up to the upstairs window and it looked so neat, so did the white silk lining fabric. I think I can make them totally separate from the window (like not glued on) and then hold it up and see what everyone thinks. 

Ive got the footstool apart now with help from my blow dryer, as I suspected the wood and foam is shaped very nicely and detailed (beveled edge on the foam and corners of footstool). I think the bones of furniture is so interesting, how what's underneath shapes what we see above. This brand is "Fantastic", does anyone know, didn't that brand become bedpaq or was bought by bespaq, just curious. 

Ill make the footstool first to double check the fabric choice. 

"This brand is "Fantastic", does anyone know, didn't that brand become bedpaq or was bought by bespaq, just curious. "

Yes, was called Fantastic Furniture before Bespaq.

I'm with Kathie - the tan with rust flowers to the right.

Ok thanks, so that means if a piece of furniture has a Fantastic sticker on it, we can say it is from around what date range? Do you know when they changed the name? 

Ive got the footstool stripped down, decided to duplicate it (for personal use)with modifications  and used my new harbor freight belt sander for the first time, wow can't believe I lived without that little gem for so long....6 layers of 1/8 inch balsa, I was trying to get them all even by hand and then remembered the belt sander...made short work of it and much more even than I was accomplishing by hand. 

IMG_4137.JPG

It was Fantastic Merchandise. I can't remember now if Bespaq bought them out or they bought out Bespaq and changed the name. If I had my catalogs, I might be able to give you the year that Fantastic Merchandise disappeared and Bespaq showed up. Unfortunately, all my books and catalogs are now being held hostage in the basement. I have no idea when I'll get them back.

I think the green for your chair would sort of fade into the background, too. But I don't know if I would put a pattern on that second chair, since the rug is already patterned. On the other hand, maybe a nice very dark or very light cream color with plum-colored flowers on it would complement both other the chair and the rug. I don't know, I'd have to see something like that first.

• Like 1

Kelly beat me to the correction!

"In the mid 1980s, Bespaq Corporation was formed by Pit Ginsburg of San Francisco, California. He originally designed museum quality dollhouse furniture in a variety of periods for a company called Fantastic Merchandise. They went out of business in the mid 1980s and Pit saw a chance to make his mark in the blossoming miniatures industry. Fantastic furniture was originally manufactured in Taiwan, but Pit was able to purchase a factory in Mainland China and he moved his production there."

• Like 1

Thanks so much Ladies, I love that kind of info and interesting to know my chair was probably made while I was still in high school. It's held up pretty well. 

Kelly I was hoping you would be around to chime in :) I love your detailed analysis. I think you should consider writing a regular column for American Miniaturist on dollhouse and miniatures history. You have great writing skills and a wealth of information at your fingertips (when you can get to it) then you could tell the manager you need your books for work. 

• Like 1