Regarding the Greenleaf Aster

Thimble Hall

This looks like a nice little house that is on my short list for a project. The rear pictures show the bedroom in the attic but only half the attic floor is there, the rest looks open and you can see down into the room below. Does anyone know why, it seems such a waste of space, and has anyone floored it to make the attic bigger please. I bet Holly knows!!

I think the idea is that the upper level is a loft in the cottage, accessed by a ladder, and thus the open, airy two-story room. No reason a floor couldn't be added. Think of any kit as a starting point. It's not necessary to adhere strictly to the instructions.

Jeannine, changing parts of a kit to suit our vision or to give the kit what it wants from us is what we refer to as "bashing".  The reason I built two Fairfields, one of them inside out, was to make two halves of a single Bar Harbor summer cottage.  One of the Fairfields has a stairway to the third floor and I joined the sides of one of the towers to open into the attic and made it into a utility/ bathroom and in the other one I hung a Foucault's Pendulum from under the tower roof down to the ground floor, so I had to cut a hole in the second floor and put up a safety railing.  I haven't built an Aster, but Anna made hers into a Christmas cottage with the loft and it's charming.

10 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Here's a fun blog post that has lots of detailed photos of the Aster:

http://naturessoulminiatures.blogspot.com/2017/01/santas-cottage.html

Looks like a really fun kit!

That was really cute.  Makes me think about doing a Christmas house.  I love that they were watching Dancing with the Stars.  Too funny.

• Like 1

Thank you for that link. I was asking about the Aster because I have this idea about doing a 3 house set about Red Riding Hood, and the Aster I thought would make a good Grandmama's house. I think it is a definite yes for the Aster now..thank you again

21 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Thank you for that link. I was asking about the Aster because I have this idea about doing a 3 house set about Red Riding Hood, and the Aster I thought would make a good Grandmama's house. I think it is a definite yes for the Aster now..thank you again

You're so welcome! The creator of that adorable Aster, Auralea Krieger, is the editor of American Miniaturist magazine. As soon as you mentioned that Kit I remembered her build and thought it would help you. I love your idea about the 3 cottages! I did a Three Little Pigs build last year and really enjoyed the whimsy! 

51 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

ooh I would like to see that

Here's a link to all the posts on the project. It was great fun!

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/search/label/Three%20Little%20Pigs%3A%20Revenge

I hope you get started on your Grandmother's Cottage soon! I am going to enjoy seeing it come to life!

Wow. that is absolutely priceless. I will have to go back later and spend a lot more time there but have someone coming shortly,blast it. I noticed you were using stickers. I have hundreds of those gold ones with corners etc they were in my boxes of stuff to go to the thrift store which I think are still in my daughters basement!!

• Like 1