Garfield Mansion

Dutch

I have a Garfield sitting in its box, waiting its turn, so I shall be interested in how you solved the problem.  I hope you will introduce yourself to everybody over in the Newcomers; Forum.  Is this your first build?  Has it told you how it wants to look yet?

Sorry I' m just learning to navigate the website. Trying to find the Newcomers Forum. The Garfield is my second house, but I think it will be much more challenging. Don't have enough done to see how it will look. Will let you know how I solved my problem. However, you have so much more experience than I it probably wouldn't even be a challenge for you.

Hi, Louise. Welcome to the forum. The Garfield is a magnificent house, and it's big. Have you measured the doorways in your real house to be sure you can move it once it is built?

• Like 1

Those stairs were tough for me as well. I'm attaching a picture of it in progress. Not sure if it will make sense to you or not. I drew some black lines on the edges of the step to give you an idea of the step itself. It indents from the bottom of the porch. It isn't a separate set of freestanding stairs like the front ones. If you were stepping up, you'd sort of be stepping into the porch floor area. It's an odd arrangement. Hope this helps.

59ae0988a92f7_Frontporchcropwinpaintline

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KathieB said:

Hi, Louise. Welcome to the forum. The Garfield is a magnificent house, and it's big. Have you measured the doorways in your real house to be sure you can move it once it is built?

Thank you. That's what I thought it should look like. What is confusion is the position of the 2 square step ends. Where are the back and the front of the step notch.  Then it says to laminate to the back of this square.

Would it be possible to indicate the position of the square step ends on this picture?

As you will see I've installed them but don't think it's right.

thank you so much for your help

Edited by Dutch

It's been a long time since I did that part. If I remember correctly, I turned it all upside down to assemble them. I'm a great one to do things backwards or inside out. Sometimes it helps me, no joking, it really does.

I'm not at home right now so I can't look further today but I'll check it tomorrow and see if I can post another picture for you.

On 2017-09-04, 7:39:17, KathieB said:

Thank you. Yes I realize now how big it is and did measure to make sure I could get it out. However, I plan on leaving it in display on the same floor where I'm building it.

Sorry not to get back to you sooner. I had to work late and then take the kiddos to get their entries in at our little county fair. Just got back home. I tried to take a picture of the under of that area by lifting up the house. Not sure they show much that is very helpful. I remember that the step pieces were on another sheet quite a ways from the foundation pieces. I hunted for my schematics and instructions and miraculously found them. It looks like those pieces are on sheet 11. I think the word laminate, as it's used here, just means to glue one over the other. 

The arrow with 12 on it is that sideways foundation piece from the sheet of foundation pieces. The other two arrows (and my finger and the dowel) are where the stair edges are. It was so hard to get a decent picture since the house is so heavy. I slid my phone in underneath and tried my best. Probably haven't truly answered your question yet but maybe we will get there. You might try private messaging some of the other members who have built a Garfield before to see if they might have a better explanation. I know Creamcheese and madtex1967 both did very lovely Garfields.

59b0a90dc8601_Garfieldunderstairs-Copy.j

• Like 1

Hi! Guess it's about time I introduce myself since I've been asking from you for help with my Garfield Mansion. I'm a retired Canadian from Ottawa, Ontario. Having  spent all of my life in the coldest capital of the world (it might be the 2nd) I usually like to plan some project for the winter. About 5-6 years ago I built my first dollhouse and would like to try something a little more challenging.

Thanks to those of you that have been trying to help me out. 

I have completed the foundation of my dollhouse and have one concern. Based on the information some of you have provided and my research, everything seems to be in place. The only things I'm not sure of is the space that is left where the kitchen porch steps have been installed. Everything fits and maybe it's suppose to look like and it will all work in the end. I just want to make sure before I go ahead. 

Looks like I'm using too many MB. Will send picture in Part 2

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Pictures show both right side and wrong side of foundation. 

Dutch, I've asked a moderator to combine your Part 1 and Part 2 posts into one thread. It would be a lot easier to keep track of your Garfield build if you keep all of your posts in one thread. Maybe keep Part 1 as the main thread?

• Like 1

I combined the threads and am going to move this to the Greenleaf-specific forum to make sure other Garfield builders see it. (I know you started out with an introduction, I'm just thinking that people who built the Garfield will be less likely to see the thread and offer help if it's in the Newcomer forum.)

If you're getting a message about the pictures being too big you need to reduce the size of the photos, it's not related to the thread itself.

I haven't built the Garfield so I can't help with the steps question, but hopefully someone else can!

• Like 1

Dutch, those steps seem to look too small for the opening if I'm looking at it correctly. Seems like mine go all the way over to the left edge which is where the square end goes. Maybe check the sheet and see if there are two other similar pieces but just a little longer. I had put a picture from the bottom of mine in your other Garfield mansion thread.

OMG Can't believe I was so dense. Selkie you were right. I took to wrong steps. But in my defence, they really don't make it easy. The kitchen porch step ends are with the front porch steps. Anyway now I have finally finished the foundation and have started the stairs. Thanks Selkie, you were really helpful. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, It has been a while since I built the base for my Garfield, but yeah I thought you may have had the wrong steps .... easily done.  My big problem is how to wire it, and where to run the wires out of the back of the Garfield. I have pondered on this for a long time. I intend to put the wires up behind the fireplaces, it is that I want it tidy at the back of the house. Anyone with any ideas?