Red Riding Hood etc

Thimble Hall

For some time I have thought about recreating this classic story in some way, it played a big part in my childhood. On our way to the beach my parents and I  used to pass a long stretch of wooded area with 3 clearings, each had a house  , there was  one at each end of the wood and one in the middle, Dad told me the first was Red Riding Hoods house, the middle one belonged to  the woodcutter who saved her from the wolf and the last was Grandmamas. I got an idea about making the houses and followed through today by buying three kits.. The Glencroft for the parent,.the Aster for Grandma and  the Sugarplum for the  woodcutter .I wanted the scenes to be very English and these three houses are a little Tudorish. I have started a notebook with ideas and it is doing me the world of good . While I work on my Fairfield I am thinking up plans for my Storybook houses.

I don't know how to do a blog so hopefully this will serve me just as well. 

All ideas would be very much appreciated

• Like 1

I think grandmas Aster, then I can make her feather bed, quilt, curtains , grandma herself and some pretty cool clothes,  I have to make the wolf in her nightgown and in my family he didn't eat Grandma he sat in her bed waiting for Riding Hood,    grandma passed out when the wolf called so I will place her  half under the bed  in her bloomers,bed socks , and shimmy. I am really looking forward for the chance to just be a bit silly.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I think grandmas Aster, then I can make her feather bed, quilt, curtains , grandma herself and some pretty cool clothes,  I have to make the wolf in her nightgown and in my family he didn't eat Grandma he sat in her bed waiting for Riding Hood,    grandma passed out when the wolf called so I will place her  half under the bed  in her bloomers,bed socks , and shimmy. I am really looking forward for the chance to just be a bit silly.

That's a whole lot nicer than the Grimm Brothers' version, where the wolf eats both granny & Red and the woodcutter frees them when he kills the wolf and splits him open.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My three houses have arrived and I am starting the first tonight. I am stating with the Sugarplum for the woodcutter and as I know the theme I am expecting it go smoothly.I do not intend making any changes to the house as he would be a very simple man and it is a very simple house but we will see. It has some cardboard pieces I wasn't expecting but I will see how it goes. I will be looking for suitable décor, hunting, gardening stuff probably and some very basic cooking pots and he will have to have a dog and maybe a cat. Samusa's flocking will come in handy there..

As usual all ideas muchly appreciated.. (muchly is an old Yorkshire word)

The cardboard is chipboard and is for the "timbering".  The second time I built that kit I used strip wood for the timbering and made duplicates of the bench sides from 1/8" basswood.  You can prime and paint the chipboard.

• Like 1

Hi, it is cardboard Holly white  on one side brown on the other, definitely not chipboard.

I will take photos along the way and post when there is some to show .

Yes I will make the woodcutter. I am just writing scraps of notes about him,.He hasn't got a name yet, but he is big sweet bear of a man,I haven't decided his age yet, shy, single a bit reclusive, has a soft spot for Red Riding Hood but  she is too young to think about.He fishes and he hunts and he cooks a little, does not entertain so he has few things.His furniture will be very plain as he has made it himself.His  curtains and bedding  are nice though because  Red Riding Hoods mother made them for him in exchange for rabbits( she is a bit of a seamstress) He has a dog and a cat as he has some mice that get into his house, the cat is old so often misses a few so they will peeking out from somewhere. He has a way with animals so I expect wild birds in his garden and maybe a fox who he protects form the local hunt..He may even have an injured few in his house that he making well. He trades his game with the locals so he may have some things around he has bartered for...not sure what yet. He is also a bi of a gardener so he will have plants somewhere and if I have room I will give him a veggie garden. He also carves things?? That is about as far as I have got  with him but it is good because I know exactly what I am doing with his house.

Holly your people are very good, I have a few push molds among my sugar craft stuff, I need to dig them out.. I have tons of ideas for this trio now and my Garfield, and even some of the Craigslist houses I have tucked away,but I work very slow and am hoping God gives me the years I will need to do all these houses I have bought.

• Like 1

Interesting; the kits I built used chipboard.  I would think about finding some wood grain scrapbook paper and covering the cardboard with that.  I used to paint the porch benches and the little bits of furniture that came with the kit.  I painted apple trees on the pieces I put together and sold to  lady for her thee girls to play with (my first bash I added a wall downstairs to make three rooms).

As for having the years to finish them all, I would need another 30 or so years to finish all my projects; my kids have orders to post anything I have left after I die in the Trading Post forum.

• Like 1

I vaguely remember the cardboard pieces, they also came with the Canterbury kit.  Maybe you could use them for a pattern and cut new ones from balsa or basswood..but I'm sure you've already thought of that.

Good idea to use them as templates actually and I hadn't thought of it.When it comes time to fix them on I will decide, they may do but if they look off I can change them. It is the whole side of the house cut out in one piece not individual bits.

. I have some pieces firmly glued in place so I have made a start.

• Like 1

I love my sugarplum it's so small and cute. It's one house that's never in the way or never any trouble to display just about anywhere. I made mine simpler by eliminating all but one window and eliminated the second floor. 

• Like 1

Glad you like the jacket...I have a pair of hunting boots made by the Dolls Cobbler that would be cute sitting by the door. She makes several different types. If u do an eBay search for dolls cobbler hunting boots or Sylvia Rountree boots you should see them. I don't see the style I have on eBay right now but they're usually not hard to find. 

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

This jacket on a hook would be cute, I love buffalo plaid, but you could probably make this better yourself. 

IMG_5024.JPG

I buy from that seller a lot (I recognise the photo set up with the pen lol) .. Always helpful and the quality of anything I've bought has always been good. I'd recommend them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting on well with my sugarplum for my  bachelor woodcutter. I have removed the settles from the front door and will make a wee patio there

I have used the cardboard Tudor templates and penciled them on the house and stuccoed in between where the timbers will go. I have put beams in the first floor ceiling  and stuccoed in  between them and I have stuccoed the ground floor walls too. I have a shelf going round the room quite high to display his treasures./My wood cutter is called Joe by the way I have timbered the upstairs floor and am doing the downstairs in stone slabs. I have a cooking fireplace as in his day there would not have been a regular stove .I will  build him an outhouse and he can have a tin bath hanging on the side of it. for Saturday nights!!

I have hit a snag  with the outside. He is a bachelor so I don't want it too feminine but I wanted to get away from an off white stucco between the timbers outside and I can't come up with a color. Clearly he would not have pink or lavender. I will be making the timbers dark, either dark brown or black or maybe even a dark grey and I wanted a color ;for, the walls not deep or bright as I shall save that for the window boxes and maybe the doors . it has to be suitable for a man. Palish/greyish blue maybe, or a pale, greyish green, even a warm beige might do, sort of biscuit... any ideas. I am not bashing this kit as it is perfect as it is for a simple country gent of the day, but it needs a bit of color.