Red Riding Hood etc

Thimble Hall

8 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I wanted to get away from an off white stucco between the timbers outside and I can't come up with a color.

I'm not sure Joe would have painted this any color other than white. How about aging it to reflect years of benign neglect? Washes of raw umber, sage green (a touch of moss or mold, perhaps?), etc. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I like a warm biscuit color with variations in the color. When I'm doing my walls I mix at least 3 colors. 

47 minutes ago, Samusa said:

I'd lean toward the biscuit colour also. It's warmer than grey so will look better with the wood.

I concur. A mix of warm tones would be lovely, and very in keeping with the masculine aura you're wishing to maintain.

I have just come back from Michaels with a ton of paints,all my crafts paints had pretty much had it as it  is a long time since I used them so I will have a little play tonight but I cannot come up with anything other than a variation of white, cream, beige, biscuit etc so that is probably what I will do. Thank you folks as usual you are a grand lot.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The outside walls are a sort of biscuit color now and the cardboard timbering turned out quite well, did it in a warm brown. Downstairs is  tiled and upstairs jas a wood floor, I have  just almost finished putting beams in the attic and started doing the bricks on the chimney. I have got stairs ready to go in. I took some pictures and I am 50/50 sure I got them on the computer so here goes.

Hey I did it, I still don't know how but there you are..I did pictures. not very good but it gives you an idea where I am with Joe the woodcutter;s house. It does,t show the bricks on the chimney, I have only done a couple of rows and the picture has cut them off. Wondering now what color to do the front door.

P1010060.JPG

P1010061.JPG

P1010062.JPG

• Like 3

Oh, well done, Jeannine!  and I love your vision for the interior.  I garnered some garnet sandpaper at a local hardware store a couple of years go that made lovely bricks.  I use a printer's ruler and make them 1 pica X 3 picas to be in scale with the bricks used to build the Florida coastal forts, which were what I measured.  I think they'd be lovely for a chimneybreast upstairs.

Thank you both,I am amazed at me getting the pictures on but I am going to try and do it again. and write down how I did it this time LOL

no can do I think I have reached a site limit now I guess I will have to find out how to do the member picture t

I will be glad when it is done, I keep wanting to make it pretty but Joe is a bachelor and much of a make do sort of guy, nothing very pretentious so I am trying real hard not to get the woods to match etc, functional and plain.  Now when I get to Grandmama's house I can go to town with color etc and have a bit of fun. She is going to be a bit eccentric though so her colors may not match either but they will be there and it may not be as tidy as one would expect after all she has had a great many years to collect stuff.,.. Red Riding Hoods house I plan to be tasteful and neat.

• Like 1

In addition to her teacup & saucer collection my grandma had shelves of Hummels and Chinese porcelain figurines her nephew, who worked for Standard Oil in China until we entered WWII, sent her.  She was also big on antimacassars and doilies.  Our elderly neighbor two doors down when I was a girl collected bells; she had a whole roomful.

Thank you Shannon, it's fun,

Holly..  I have antimacassars, hand made by me, but not the crochet edge that came out of my stash of old lace and stuff. They were made from an old heavy pure  linen sheet someone was going to chuck out and I grabbed it.

I have to share this bit of info. Our family lost Great Grandma 3 years ago she was 101 and fought with the authorities for 5 years prior to her death to get her driving license back. She was a wonderful old lady but quite different. She loved her crafts, all popsicle sticks and glitter, Her canister set which she had had as long as anyone could remember was old coffee tins covered in wallpaper  and edged in ribbon.. She had a painting in her living room of a rural scene, it had no glass, I think it was an old oil, anyway she had cut tiny pictures out of magazines, sheep, cows, chickens etc and stuck them on the picture, even when she died and I was there ,she had bright blue glitter stuck in her hair.She saved everything, string, paper bags, used foil and her décor was so "hers" I doubt if I can describe it. She like color, bright color and stripes, dots and flowers and she had them all. I doubt if I could decorate this Grandmama's house without thinking of her so anything could happen in the Aster.

Collections, we could start a whole new topic about that!! I wonder what Holly collects apart from houses and associated stuff.

I am not sure how I will furnish it, it is very small and only one room down for everything but shall start working on a rug or two maybe tomorrow and some kind of curtains ??

• Like 1

Oooohh!! Pictures! It's looking great Jeannine! I love your flooring and the stucco look very good! Did you use spackle? Great job! I'm looking forward to seeing more. Make sure you get that album started! :D 

The cottage is looking FANTASTIC, funny it's just how I pictured it looking from your descriptions. 

If you click on the gallery page there will be a button to "add images" from there it will prompt you to title a new album, add a description and then upload images. 

16 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I will be glad when it is done, I keep wanting to make it pretty but Joe is a bachelor and much of a make do sort of guy, nothing very pretentious so I am trying real hard not to get the woods to match etc, functional and plain.  Now when I get to Grandmama's house I can go to town with color etc and have a bit of fun. She is going to be a bit eccentric though so her colors may not match either but they will be there and it may not be as tidy as one would expect after all she has had a great many years to collect stuff.,.. Red Riding Hoods house I plan to be tasteful and neat.

I can imagine Joe's cabin with mostly useful items, hanging on the wall.   Nothing fancy.  It if doesn't have a purpose he doesn't need it.  Unless he has a few sentimental items from a long lost love or something.  Oh, this is fun.  I feel bad that I didn't find the link for those boots.  When I go back to work on Tuesday I will search my history and see if I can find them.  I can't find them on Pinterest anymore either.

Thanks Samantha, I don't know really what spackle is I just presume it some sort of drywall stuff, I have a small pot of pink stuff my daughter gave me, and it sands very easy. 

I made my stucco with a pot of wood fill I had bought that was useless for the job as it was full of gritty bumpy stuff, I mixed that with flat white paint, it came out a sort of cream which I used as a base, then painted over it. I applied it with a piece of natural sponge.It seemed to work and dried rock hard.

Holly I knew there would be a topic somewhere, so you collect dolls, that does not surprise me. I have kept some of the ones I made and a few from my childhood but I do collect Rosebud Thumbsuckers  from the 50'sonward I must have over 100 now I think. They are just 6 inch bent laeg babies, not the stiff Standing 6 inch Rosebuds, if I ever get the album going I will show you some pictures.

Karin thank you I am going to try that.

Holly, Joe is having curtains, he trades things with Red Riding Hood's mother for wood,she is a seamstress and a cook, so he traded curtains, bedding and pots of jam with her. Barter was very popular in that wood!! He is a very simple man but he has a bit of class. He does play a musical instrument and he reads a lot. He might even write a bit of poetry.

Patti don't knock yourself out looking for the boots but if you do find them it would be great. I will keep the picture close, just in case I find the time to play.

Thank you ChapChap.

I built him a dry sink last night so he will have some form of washing. I need a pump, one in the house and one outside.

Thank you all for your encouragement, it has been harder to do this than I imagined. I guess I am getting old, my hands are not as steady a so things are not the way I like but it is keeping me busy and thinking ahead and that is the main thing. and hopefully I will improve and get back a bit of my skills from ago. Too much knitting has dragged me dow.

Just tried the picture thing.

Clicked gallery

Clicked add images

was expecting it to offer me title a new album but it didn't, it offered me a whole pile of other folks albums  ???

Tried again and got a bit further, it let me load some pictures then told me to wait, I waited ages so I think I must have done something wrong, twice it told me to load pictures, very confused now but I will try again.

I just slice my finger with a sharp knife so am dropping red specks over everything LOL

Well I'm sorry about your finger but I'm thrilled with your forging ahead and conquering the gallery! And the gallery is tricky for all of us so don't feel inadequate for a second if it gives you troubles...but your pictures are there now and we can all see them. It's so fun to share the step by step progress.  It's a weird quirk of the gallery that even though it tells you to "wait" the pictures are (sometimes) there like magic anyway.