Red Riding Hood etc

Thimble Hall

On 9/29/2017, 3:00:10, Jeannine said:

Hi, it is cardboard Holly white  on one side brown on the other, definitely not chipboard.

I will take photos along the way and post when there is some to show .

Yes I will make the woodcutter. I am just writing scraps of notes about him,.He hasn't got a name yet, but he is big sweet bear of a man,I haven't decided his age yet, shy, single a bit reclusive, has a soft spot for Red Riding Hood but  she is too young to think about.He fishes and he hunts and he cooks a little, does not entertain so he has few things.His furniture will be very plain as he has made it himself.His  curtains and bedding  are nice though because  Red Riding Hoods mother made them for him in exchange for rabbits( she is a bit of a seamstress) He has a dog and a cat as he has some mice that get into his house, the cat is old so often misses a few so they will peeking out from somewhere. He has a way with animals so I expect wild birds in his garden and maybe a fox who he protects form the local hunt..He may even have an injured few in his house that he making well. He trades his game with the locals so he may have some things around he has bartered for...not sure what yet. He is also a bi of a gardener so he will have plants somewhere and if I have room I will give him a veggie garden. He also carves things?? That is about as far as I have got  with him but it is good because I know exactly what I am doing with his house.

I love this verbal picture, I can see the scene as you describe it!

Holly,  US the brand of fill called Polyfilla must be very different to the UK Polyfilla that I know as that one  dries like granite, I clearly remember trying to sand it after filling small holes in a wall and it was almost impossible. I avoid it like the plague.It takes a drill to go through it.  I have never bought it in Canada for that reason, so maybe it is a different formula over there. This pink stuff  handles just like  drywall mud and is very soft but it came in a very small tub and was quite expensive my daughter said.. I did wonder why not just use dry wall mud powder  and mix it as needed.

Barb I have the fox and am planning on  putting a plaster cast on his leg

6 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...This pink stuff  handles just like  drywall mud and is very soft but it came in a very small tub and was quite expensive my daughter said.. I did wonder why not just use dry wall mud powder  and mix it as needed...

Not sure why it was expensive...  I also use ready-mixed drywall mud from the hardware store.

Hi, I placed the cardboard in place then penciled round it on the house, then I did the stucco on the house but not on the parts where the cardboard would go. I did it in that way case it wouldn't lay flat on top of  the stucco  It was a good idea as it fit very flat and tight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just logging a few changes .

Joe's house is almost finished , just furnishing it as I make or find stuff for it, his violin has arrived and I have started to make his bedding and his best going to church suit. I am  stuck waiting for grout which is lost  in the mail somewhere.

I am changing the other two houses. I have changed Grandmas to the Glencroft as the Aster I think would be too small and so the parents are getting the  larger Tudor one that Greenleaf make , the Harrison, so now I am focusing on building a picture of Grandma.

She hasn't got a name yet, I have a few floating around in my head but not sure yet.

She will be a sewer, a seamstress actually. mostly retired but still dabbling a bit, she can be coached out of retirement for special occasion clothes  and has been known to help her only daughter with wedding dresses. It was Grandma who taught RRH Mum to sew and Mrs Hood   is carrying on the skill. Grandma is a crafter, a knitter, she knits and sews toys that are sold in her SIL shop mostly now, she also makes baby layettes and is known as the local shawl maker .She plays a couple of musical instruments, one is the banjo. She always wears a pair of  dangly earings which were a wedding gift from her late  husband   She is a dedicated DIY enthusiast .She is not a delicate Grandma, quite feisty but she is very proper, so high tea is served to guests in the very formal way. She has a male friend, she had had him for many years, he idolizes her but she has remained a widow most of her life, her husband was killed in a war, and she proudly has a picture of him on display alongside his flute which she treasures, she has also remained faithful to his memory but her friend  lives in hopes!! He does all her maintenance . She is good friends with Joe the woodcutter and keeps a motherly eye on him ,Joe provides her with all her wood and in return she knits his socks, mends his clothes,makes his shirts, his bedding and his curtains, Joe wasn't bothered about curtains but Grandma insisted it was proper so he gave in.

So today I am opening up the box to begin Grandmas house.... story to be continued

• 1 month later...

I have just updated my Red Riding Hood album with more pictures of Joe's house in progress. The stairs are added and the wall closing them in is shown,this gives me a bit of under the stairs wall to put something in , the inside shot is a bit dark but I think it shows. I also took one showing the extra back wall I have made for the house, still to do the doors and finish the shingles but it is coming very slowly

I see you left the bench seat sides on the wall by the door; will you be making the porch settles?  I thought those looked so cute that when I built a Sugarplum using strip wood in place of the chipboard half timbering, I cut the extra pair of sides from basswood.

Thank you Karin, it is slow but it is coming.

Holly, no I didn't like the settles so close to the door and I had the strips on and painted before I realized. I will probably change  that  , it  that rather  depends on what I decide to put there, I am going to do something with the step area but I am not sure what yet. If whatever I chose doesn't cover it I will have to adjust the strips. I didn't use the furniture that came with the house either. I still have to come up with something to close off the top of the back., the lower panel  with the rear door I made worked out fine and . I am stuck waiting for the replacement  shingles to come  and I am itching to do something pretty now, or at least something not so plain.

8 hours ago, Jeannine said:

...I am going to do something with the step area but I am not sure what yet...

Large planters with berry bushes or tomato plants or pepper bushes; something practical that a bachelor would have.  I would think Grandma's house would be pretty.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, I thought this may be a good place to tell you a few things.

I am much better, almost but not quite well but more able to sit and type so the bad stuff if behind me, thank you for al your good wishes, you are all a grand bunch.

I have a new picture, my beautiful robin on a spade and a new name to go with it..

I have always wanted to call a house Thimble Hall and thought about using it as a forum name but decided it was too long so used the name you all know me by but I realized recently it is not too long and the mods have kindly changed it. It is still me though and I am hoping to get back to working on  my Glencroft  for grandma's  house in a few more days. , The final finishes on Joe's house are held up, I am still waiting for the replacement shingles for Greenleaf which seem to be taking a long time 

XX J

Thank you both, it is absolutely smashing to be back on here I have really missed all of you. I have always thought one day I might find and  buy a real house that deserved the name Thimble Hall , sort of like a large manor house but smaller was the idea,but I realized some time ago that my dream would have to be satisfied by a dollhouse but as I have names ready for most of the houses I have stashed I thought this is the best place to use it.

XX J

• 1 month later...

I really love the story of the 3 houses and everyone who lives there. I'm totally a sucker for fairytales too and I'm excited to see how you interpret it into the houses. Joe's looks so very wonderful already. :D I nearly bought that kit for one of my little pixies who is still needing a house when we ordered my husband's kit. I keep telling myself that I need to get at least one assembled first so the house itself is at least finished with walls and floors before ordering another kit. I adore how yours looks above the image in the store page and I've looked at quite a few variations of this kit the last few weeks. Looking forward to updates in the future. :clap:

Shingles finally arrived a week or so ago and I have most on, slow to pick up on this since I was sick but it is calling me now.

Jonathon, thank you for your kind words, it is an easy house to work on but very plain for the purpose I am using it for  so it gets a bit dry, I want to fancy it up and have to stop myself as Joe is a batchelor and a very plain man..almost. The staircase did not come with the kit by the way., I built that, at the other side  under the stairs.I will put his sink or stove or something.

I have recently bought pixie molds to make porcelain pixies as in the far back of my mind I want to do a fairy'pixie house. I will make the dolls first though then see what they tell me.

Good luck with yours when you do it. you are very wise to hold off until you have finished one, I have not done that, now I am surrounded by boxes!!