Help needed for 24 scale stuff

Thimble Hall

I am finding difficulty locating stuff in 1/24 the scale, by stuff I mean,wall papers, base boards, crown moldings and trims all building stuff. I have tried all the places I know but am finding very little , doors and windows are great, as is furniture but the stuff I am looking for is just not there. I presume I am looking in the wrong places, could someone help me please. Oh and a question re lighting, apart from the fittings themselves  being smaller than 12 scale is there any difference to the lighting systems.

I think 1:24 lighting uses bi-pin bulbs instead of screw ins but @Debsrand56 would be better able to answer that question.:bigwink:

Try Manchester Woodworks for moulding etc. I think he has a small range of 1:24 trims. You definitely won't find the variety you find in 1:12 scale though. Check out @wormwoodz Fairfield & Deborah's also and if you like their trims, message them re where they got them. I'm sure they would be happy to help.:D

Thank you both I will check those out.

Samantha , a few minutes ago I was on Stacey's Brickworks in the Uk looking for something and I noticed they had something called color restorer. it states it can help when mortar mix has discolored stone, I wondered if it may help the problem you had

3 hours ago, Jeannine said:

apart from the fittings themselves  being smaller than 12 scale is there any difference to the lighting systems.

I have only used tape wire.  In terms of those components (tape wire, eyelets, converter, etc.), we use the same as 1:12 folks, we just need less tape and may have fewer lights.  Some of the ready-made 1:24 lights definitely have teeny little screw-in bulbs that are replaceable,  (I know, because one of my bulbs came loose one time, and I thought the light was broken.)   Manchester Woodworks is definitely good for trim.  A lot of other suppliers also have things that work in 1:24; they just don't specifically label them as such.  What you want to do when you look at widths is think of how tall they would be in real life--something that's a quarter inch wide would translate to 6" in real life.  For Victorian baseboards, that might be fine.  You could probably even go a little wider.  It just depends on the look you're going for.  Oakridge Hobbies has a ton of 1:24 scale wallpapers at a good price.  I'd start there, and if you aren't finding what you want, let me know.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

Thank you both I will check those out.

Samantha , a few minutes ago I was on Stacey's Brickworks in the Uk looking for something and I noticed they had something called color restorer. it states it can help when mortar mix has discolored stone, I wondered if it may help the problem you had

Thanks Jeannine! I'll check it out. :)

I use a lot of 1:12 scale things in 1:24, but as Debsrand56 said, you have to think in half scale. I've used 1:12 chair rail as 1:24 baseboard, and combined trims to make cornices, or layered trims. I've also cut down larger trim. Many times heavy card stock (paper) will work as trims too. One of the thing I love about half scale is it pushes me to be creative.

• Like 1

I make do with hard ware store balsa wood strips for all kinds of trims.  I make or adapt 1:12 scale things sometimes.  I have to invent or make my own materials.   I print a lot of wallpaper and other kinds of décor on my printer.    I don't live anywhere near hobby stores and there isn't a lot online.  I have had some luck on ebay.  

• Like 1

I used this.  As I recall, I needed 5 or 6 sheets of it to do the Fairfield.  I used this for the third floor gables, so if you do all siding, you'll need a bit more than I did.  It's a good idea to paint the siding first with one coat of paint, then sand before you start applying it.  That helps protect the soft wood.  The siding I used cuts easily with a utility knife.

• Like 1

Well there is a coincidence, I have just put that Manchester companies basswood siding on my watch list until I figure out how much. Thank you

You know I have realized one thing lately. With any other hobby I have a stash of stuff some of it going back years so often I can first go shopping in my own stash. I haven't done much of that with house building but I am starting to. I figure it to err on the side of too much when ordering anything then by the time I am 80 I may have a good stash!!. I have been buying building stuff just because it may come in handy if I see it cheap so I guess I am already on my way.

Deborah do you so mostly 24 scale?

I just read a great long topic about stucco but it was quite old, I think I may go and bump it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Deborah do you so mostly 24 scale?

Yes, although I'm only on my third house (with a couple of room boxes as well), so I'm not as experienced as some of the other half-scale builders.  I have learned an enormous amount from this forum.  Like Debora (dalesq), I like the challenge of figuring out how to do/make things on my own.  On my current build, I am definitely using just wood strips (3/16") for the baseboards, as it's a modern home so wouldn't have fancy woodwork.  (And definitely, go for the stash!  I am forever finding left-overs from other projects that I can use in my current project.)

I had some 1:24 furniture kits that I built, as well as scaling my dolls down to 1:24.  When I staged those things in the Fairfields with the furniture room sets I bought from Hobby Builder's Supply, the latter were glaringly too small (measuring showed all those cute manufactured pieces were closer to 1:32 scale); I kept a couple of items (like the shortie case clock) until I get around to replacing them with making my own scaled down, like I went back and did with the rest of the furniture:

parlor.JPG

Well it took me a while , most of the afternoon and some of the evening but thanks to you all I now have siding, strip shingles, baseboard, crown molding, lights, patio railings and fancy trims and a little bit of wall paper, so my Fairfield now has a good start.

Deborah I looked at your Fairfield , it was wonderful and so  I copied you on the shingles, please take it as a compliment. I bought more than I needed of the shingles and the siding so I have a few choices as to how I do it.

Thank you again

• Like 1